Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Paints!!??

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 11:43 PM
FlyinRazorback
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paints!!??

I am in search of spray can paints for my F-16. I have used Lustrecaoat in the past where neede without any problems but they do not have the colors I need for this project. I was warned not to use Cheveron due to long drying process (especially in areas with high humidity). Are there any manufacturers outside of the RC world that that sell spray paints that are safe with Nitro? What type of paints do you guys use? I have read where many people use automotive paints. Are these not expensive and do they come in spray cans? Someone please help so I can get this bird in the air!
Old 12-20-2001, 01:08 AM
Tex Pilot

Default Paint

I use Rust-oleum without any problems with 15%nitro. I have heard that the clear does not do well....... but that is it. They are starting to get a lot of different colors....... they have most colors needed for scale war birds...... and the price is right. Tex
Old 12-20-2001, 01:43 AM
Miniair
My Feedback: (1)

Default Paints!!!

Why not try the paints used by the plastic modellers, there is a Great variety of colours, they cover well and are actually lite in weight compared to most of the paints on the market.

All you have to do is spray a lite coat of fuel proof clear over everything when you're done.

Also take a look at the aircraft dopes by SIG and other companies - fuel proof and a good range of colours - even the military drab colours.
Old 12-22-2001, 07:59 PM
scale buff
My Feedback: (24)

Default Paints!!??

I, too, have used Rustoleum, with great success, and also Krylon. Both are inexpensive and seem to hold up well with nitro, although I haven't used higher than 10% nitro.