Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Beginner to r\c

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 11:14 AM
r\c justin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner to r\c

Hello folks, i have spent the last two days reading these fourms. I am new to the nitro world, i had a ele. back in the day but i just can't stand just playin with it for 20 mins then the battery runs down. so i now getting nitro i have been looking at the Volcano sv.
i am looking for a good beginning r\c. i also was wondering about the breaking in of the r\c what should i do and how also upgrades header, pipe, etc.... does it make a differents if i use a higher gas instead of 20 going with like 30. and if anyone has parts for sale??
Old 12-16-2007, 11:26 AM
calvino

Default RE: Beginner to r\c

welcome to the RC craze, to get things straight, I haven't seen really anyone here with parts for that truck for sale, ever consider something more "hobby grade", like an Assocated GT2, or a HPI firestorm 10T, as for fuels, 20 is "bashers blend", and 30+ (more like 33%) is "racers blend", I can't sadly answer any other questions, but I would personally consider one of the vehicles mentioned, the one you are looking at, may look downright cool, but as for replacment parts, and being able to withsand the riggors of a beginner to RC, I think you are better off with a different vehicle[>:]
Old 12-16-2007, 11:29 AM
sunco1

i run nitros. what do you plan on doing with the car you decide to buy? bash? race? because before you can move on from here you need to know what your going to be using it for
Old 12-16-2007, 11:31 AM
zeen420
Banned

If your just going to start out bash or whatever, and if your pockets aren't deep, buy a Redcat, Tornado BB's are really cool, great durable cars
Old 12-16-2007, 11:33 AM
zeen420
Banned

ORIGINAL: calvino

welcome to the RC craze, to get things straight, I haven't seen really anyone here with parts for that truck for sale, ever consider something more "hobby grade", like an Assocated GT2, or a HPI firestorm 10T, as for fuels, 20 is "bashers blend", and 30+ (more like 33%) is "racers blend", I can't sadly answer any other questions, but I would personally consider one of the vehicles mentioned, the one you are looking at, may look downright cool, but as for replacment parts, and being able to withsand the riggors of a beginner to RC, I think you are better off with a different vehicle[>:]
Ok, the parts are not hard to get for the Redcats, the are highly available, I'd say go ahead and get The Valcano
Old 12-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Smiff 24

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey r/c justin welcome to the universe !
If your thinkin about a redcat theres a "redcat" dedicated forum in the cars,buggies, and truck section.
You will find lots of info there.
I hope you know how addictive this hobby is
Old 12-16-2007, 05:41 PM
Dokioto

ORIGINAL: r\c justin
i also was wondering about the breaking in of the r\c what should i do and how also upgrades header, pipe, etc.... does it make a differents if i use a higher gas instead of 20 going with like 30.
If you are unsure how to break in an Nitro engine you can always look in the manual..
I have always done the "idle procedure" that takes about four-five tanks.
First tank- Run the engine as rich as possible at idle
Second tank- Run the car around very slowly (try not to exceed 1/4 throttle)
Third tank- Very the throttle form 1/4 to 1/2.
Forth tank- Very the throttle form 1/4 to 3/4
Be sure to let the engine cool completely between each tank.

A lot of people prefer the heat-cycle method (which sounds strange but works the best) and it is stating to become the "best" way to break in a Nitro engine. [link=http://www.johnnycoolguy.com/JCGR/main/tech_break-in.html]Heat-Cycle method[/link]

Running 20% nitro fuel will give your engine more life and less heat but 30% will give you more power.

Also the truck your thinking about getting sounds ok. I have no experience with Redcat (and don't think I ever will) but a lot of people like them.
Have fun and hope this helps any
Old 12-16-2007, 05:45 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: Dokioto

i also was wondering about the breaking in of the r\c what should i do and how also upgrades header, pipe, etc.... does it make a differents if i use a higher gas instead of 20 going with like 30.
If you are unsure how to break in an Nitro engine you can always look in the manual..
I have always done the "idle procedure" that takes about four-five tanks.
First tank- Run the engine as rich as possible at idle
Second tank- Run the car around very slowly (try not to exceed 1/4 throttle)
Third tank- Very the throttle form 1/4 to 1/2.
Forth tank- Very the throttle form 1/4 to 3/4
Be sure to let the engine cool completely between each tank.

A lot of people prefer the heat-cycle method (which I have never tried) and it is stating to become the "best" way to break in a Nitro engine. [link=http://www.johnnycoolguy.com/JCGR/main/tech_break-in.html]Heat-Cycle method[/link]

Running 20% nitro fuel will give your engine more life and less heat but 30% will give you more power.

Also the truck your thinking about getting sounds ok. I have no experience with Redcat (and don't think I ever will) but a lot of people like them.
Have fun and hope this helps any
side note Dokioto didn't mention was that Heat Cycling is more for "pro engines" super fancy fast things, now it may work fine, I would go with the throttle method, neighbor did it with his Savage, no probs...[8D]
Old 12-16-2007, 06:57 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

buy a nitro that is rtr. i know that traxxas models come with dvd's that make breakin a no-brainer.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:57 PM
Dokioto

side note Dokioto didn't mention was that Heat Cycling is more for "pro engines" super fancy fast things, now it may work fine, I would go with the throttle method, neighbor did it with his Savage, no probs...[8D]
I don't see why I would say that...

It is not meant for "pro engines" (whatever you think that is) it is meant for all types of two stoke nitro engines. It has been proved to work better then the old method (run slow then increase speed). It increases the power and the life time of your engine.

Calvino, you may want to check out the link I posted and learn what Heat Cycling is
Old 12-16-2007, 09:00 PM
Dokioto

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

buy a nitro that is rtr. i know that traxxas models come with dvd's that make breakin a no-brainer.
I am pretty sure that the truck he is looking at, is Ready to Run.. Traxxas is very, beginner friendly though.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:05 PM
pede_187

Volcano SV will be fine. Parts support is plentyfull. www.allaboutfunhobbies.com and www.clermontmotorsports.com has parts. LHS's are also starting to carry parts. Hobbytown USA is now carrying parts/rc's.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:25 PM
s7jstep1

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

+1 i agree. traxxas is really good for beginners. the revo and t maxx are probably their most popular nitros so tou might consider taking a look at them
Old 12-16-2007, 11:49 PM
zeen420
Banned

well, still say get a redcat
Old 12-18-2007, 10:25 AM
r\c justin

I order my redcat volcano sv lastnight!! Can't wait for it to get here...
Old 12-18-2007, 11:31 AM
zeen420
Banned

Awesome man, post some pics when ya get it
Old 12-19-2007, 11:03 PM
r\c justin

here is another ?s i bought this fuel its called break-in-fuel i figured it would be best to run it the very first prob run the whole quart what do yall think...
Old 12-19-2007, 11:11 PM
calvino

here is another ?s i bought this fuel its called break-in-fuel i figured it would be best to run it the very first prob run the whole quart what do yall think...
NO, NO, and NO again, just use the fuel you plan on running for the car, 'breakin fuel" is a marketing joke
Old 12-20-2007, 11:13 PM
Dokioto

Since you already bought it, you might as well use it. I use %20 to break in (dosn't make the engine run as "hard" in my mind))..

But I don't see any advantage of buying "break in fuel".
Old 12-21-2007, 01:32 AM
haasjj

NO, NO, and NO again, just use the fuel you plan on running for the car, 'breakin fuel" is a marketing joke

Yeah he hit that one dead on, its more of a marketing thing than anything else. As the other guy said use it to break in your engine, It can't hurt anything unless they forgot to put the oil in.

On break in follow the instructions that come with the truck, if their are no instructions go to www.Traxxas.com and follow their instruction, because they are easy and work good. If you don't like those follow the link above any will work and as long as done properly you're engine should run good. If you can find someone near by to help you break in the engine that would be even better and have them teach you how to tune the engine also.

One last thing its called glow fuel or nitro not gas in this case.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:08 AM
DaveThePainter

Hello folks, i have spent the last two days reading these fourms. I am new to the nitro world, i had a ele. back in the day but i just can't stand just playin with it for 20 mins then the battery runs down. so i now getting nitro i have been looking at the Volcano sv.
i am looking for a good beginning r\c. i also was wondering about the breaking in of the r\c what should i do and how also upgrades header, pipe, etc.... does it make a differents if i use a higher gas instead of 20 going with like 30. and if anyone has parts for sale??

Sense your new to the nitro rc world i would get a Traxxas Nitro Stampede,Traxxas Nitro Rustler.But if your not wanting to throw out that much $$$$ just yet look into the Redcat nitro truck's,.

Thnx,mr.losiguy
Old 12-21-2007, 04:27 PM
r\c justin

IT HAS BEEN SHIPPED it will be here monday the 24th!!!!!!!!!!! i also purshased DuraTrax Air Filter Oil 3 oz, Hobbico After Run Engine Oil 2 oz
Tower Hobbies TOWER Power 20% Car Fuel Quart 4 $27.16
Trinity Break In Fuel 20% Quart

does the RTR come with extra glow plugs or do i need to purshase some more?
Old 12-21-2007, 09:12 PM
Dokioto

I would buy a few more plugs.. Most the time they die during break in as of all the extra fuel in the case. If your engine is tuned right after break in, they can last for a very long time.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:27 AM
Smiff 24

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK its monday mornin, got it yet ? hehe its only 8:30
Take lots a pics & post away !