Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Elevator servo's in 35% Extra

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Elevator servo's in 35% Extra

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 07:42 PM
r degen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elevator servo's in 35% Extra

Hey Guys ,

I Scratch built a Hurley Extra 35% I have 30 flights on it and already the servos on the elevators have developed slop so much that on a slow flyby you can see the elevators fluttering .
I am using Hitec 5945 digitals, SWB 1.25 servo arms, Nelson linkage. The play is not in the gears it appears to be in the output shaft. The plane has counter balance tabs on the elevators but I did'nt put any lead in them to balance them would this help make servos last longer? Any suggestions ? Thanks Randy
Old 07-12-2003, 11:09 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

you should go with 2 hitec 5945s then or something is wrong with your set-up or the servo itself
Old 07-13-2003, 12:43 AM
r degen

Shortman I do have separate servos on each half of the elevators , they are mounted in the horizontal stabs.Randy
Old 07-13-2003, 01:52 AM
cygnet
My Feedback: (33)

Theres nothing wrong with your set up.Thats what they do. I sold all of my digitals beacuse of that, and guess what it only gets worse.
Old 07-13-2003, 04:11 AM
ScottK
My Feedback: (9)

You could try the new HS-5975HB with the "Karbonite" gears...
Old 07-13-2003, 01:25 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Toss them Hitecs in the trash and get a JR-Futaba-or Airtronics servo. You will never look back.

For the money you have in that 35% plane-- why would you want cheap servos?

The JR servos will only run you about $200 more to rig the whole plane with top quality servos. Whats $200 when you got a $3000 plane?

Not trying to start a war- I used to use Hitecs too. But for the money- I went back to JR servos. I have $350 in servos on my plane right now. 4131s on ailerons-bought used with 4 flights on them for $120 a pair. An 8411 that I bought NIB for $90 on my rudder. A pair of 8231s that I bought NIB for $57 apiece for my elevators. And an Airtronics 94145 mini coreless for my throttle that I paid $30 for--NIB.

You probably got that much in Hitec 5945s if your using them on ailerons too. To me - it's just cheap insurance to get the good stuff.

I'd use Hitecs on a smaller plane or something I didn't care about. I'd have no problem using the 545s in a 60 size Stick. And I have a little 40 size fun fly with Hitec HS-81s all around. But these planes are cheap and I'm not attatched to them. I'll never use Hitecs in anything bigger than a 60 size plane again.

Thats just how I've decided to spend my hobby money. Buy cheap when it doesn't matter; and spend a few more bucks when your going to build a nice plane and you need top-notch performance.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:57 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've been using Hitec 5945's for a few years now without any problems at all... To categorize these as cheap servos is an injustice IMO... In fact I don't believe there is anything better currently offered by any other manufacturer, we've tried nearly everything with less than stellar results.

If you've developed a problem in 30 flights as mentioned I'd look hard at the mechanical set-up of this model. You mentioned the output shafts are rocking and this seems to be the problem. This indicates to me everything is tight and slop free up to this final observation. What is the offset of the control pivot point on your elevator control horns from the hinge center-line to were the control link attaches? Remove the control link connection from the servo arm and see if the play is present.

Are you running ONE separate HD extension to the rear of the model for each elevator servo?

Your NOT doing high speed flybys' on the deck are you?

This is just not a common occurrence with these servos. Some of our servos have two years flight time on them without these problems. I'd like to qualify this statement by offering that the use is anything but standard aerobatic stuff, nearly all flights are comprised of hard 3D with 40% models. We have several Fiberclassics and several Carden models rigged with these servos and have had many more!

It's not a money issue for us; it's a what has worked best thing nothing more and nothing less.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:22 PM
r degen

HI Michael Everything was set up the way Mike Hurley said to in the article in the AMA Magazine , the play seems to be coming from the output shaft on the servo. I'am running a separate heavy duty extension to each servo. Their seems to be a point when the engine is running at low idle I get some shake in the tail of the plane . When I bump the idle up it goes away could this vibration be causing premature wear on the output shaft or bearing in the servo. By the way I'am using a DA 100. Thanks Randy