Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Nosen 1/4 Aeronca Champ

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 01:07 AM
Ray44
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nosen 1/4 Aeronca Champ

Hi, Just wondering if the Nosen Aeronca Champ is still available. Looked all over
seems any links to purchase one are not avail any longer.
Maybe just me.
Thanks for info.
Ray
Old 06-11-2003, 02:41 AM
linclogs

The Bud Nosen line of kits was picked up by A&A Industries a long time ago. They sell exclusively on eBay now, I believe. You can do a search on eBay for the following user ID's: aaind and aainds. They auction under both ID's. It appears they also tend to make up a bunch of one particular Nosen kit and generally only sell that kit for several weeks, then rotate with the other kits. I see they are currently auctioning the Bud Nosen 1/4 SCALE TRAINER. Keep checking back and you will see the Aeronca Champ come up.

If you check out one of their auctions, you will see, in the description, it states, "We have owned Bud Nosen kit line now for 21 years been on Ebay for almost 4 years. We sell all we can build."
Old 06-11-2003, 03:31 AM
Ray44

Well I'd never thought of looking there if
you'd not let me know.
I did manage to find their listing for the
trainer.
I don't understand the Private E-Bay listing......why they do that.
I'll keep check on there and when a
Champ comes up, I just might get one.
Won't build it anytime soon. Expect it'll keep just fine on the shelf for a spell.
Thanks a lot
Ray
Old 06-11-2003, 12:44 PM
linclogs

Ray, I forgot to mention you could also do a search on Ebay for "Bud Nosen Aeronca Champion" or "A&A Industries Aeronca Champion" as other folks also sell them from time to time.

Be aware these are "builders kits" - not unlike building a huge Guillow's kit. Lot's of sticks. Most were designed as .60 powered models so had to be kept light. If you want to add larger engines (like the larger gasoline engines) you must strengthen accordingly. I saw a lot of these built in the late 70's and early 80's with Quadra's for power but you have to beef them up to handle the extra loads, vibrations, etc.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:46 PM
Bipeguy
My Feedback: (2)

See aaind.com they have the whole line posted.

You can usually find a Champ for sale in the 'for sale' forum of any number of airplane sites. Just do a search. $150 or less shipped is normal.

I have purchased 4 planes from them, including 2-champs. (see my avitar) They are definately a builders kit. Be prepared to do a lot of modification and wood replacement.

good luck.....Bipeguy....
Old 06-11-2003, 05:46 PM
linclogs

aaind.com doesn't work anymore (and hasn't for at least several months). I tried a Google search and it still shows that's the correct url but when you try it, it pops up with a "cannot find that address" type of response.

A&A Industries does show a phone and fax number on their eBay auction pages. You might try that if you want more information from them.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:09 PM
Ray44

Yes on "aaind.com" being a dead link.
I'll keep an eye on e-bay and when the time is right I'd really like to have one.
The Champ is kinda special to me. I owned one for several years back when I was younger. It was the 7AC and I use to
put it on ski's in the winter. What fun I had.
My Decathlon came today and for the immediate future, I'd better concentrate on that. Might be ready for next summer if
I hurry ;-)
Ray
Old 06-11-2003, 06:29 PM
Highflight

A&A started selling (auctioning) their kits on Ebay well over a year ago. What they do is have a run done of a particular kit and then plaster them all over Ebay.

I am not positive, but I'll bet that A&A's success with selling their kits on Ebay has led to them letting go of their web site.

But I'll tell 'ya, as a fan of Nosen designs, I search Ebay occasionally to see what A&A has going at any given time and if I don't have that kit (and want it) I just jump right in and get one.
So far, 2 Citabria's, 1 Champ, 1 Mulligan and 1 Gere' Sport.

HIghflight
Old 06-11-2003, 07:04 PM
linclogs

I just did a quick search on eBay and found 2 - Bud Nosen 1/4 Scale Trainers (the ones mentioned earlier), 2 - 1/4 scale Citabria's and a Cessna 310. The kits show up often (everyday?) on eBay.

I think A&A Industries may be a family business or even just a one-man operation. That may be why they don't have a website anymore. Too much to handle with just trying to produce kits, correspond with bidders from eBay and ship the kits. That may also be why they stick with one design at a time - make up a batch (easier to cut a bunch of parts that are all the same), run those in their auctions, then rotate to another design.

I asked once why they never offer the 1/4 scale Cub in rotation and was told they would never offer that one again. No reason why was given. Seems like they've pretty much offered all the other Nosen designs from time to time.

For some reason canopies, cowls and wheelpants aren't included in today's kits. But luckily, most of those items are available from other suppliers - I think Fiberglass Specialties (www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com) carries most of the fiberglass parts.

The Citabria, Champ and Mulligan usually go for around $100, sometimes less. I paid about $110 for my Mulligan, about $80 for a Champ, and $47 for a Citabria(!). Guess I happened to catch that one on a day when other bidders were busy doing something other than watching eBay auctions.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:54 AM
linclogs

Ray --

Sent you a PM. Check it out if you're still interested in a Nosen Champ!!!
Old 06-25-2003, 03:35 AM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

Hmm. I got my Champ kit off eBay last fall for $68 (they were sleeping that day, too ). I think A&A killed their web site because the prices there might have been setting an upper limit on the eBay bidding. It never ceases to amaze me how idiots will bid higher than retail all the time... deals are few and far between these days because of them.

I visited aaind.com last on 4/15/2003 at 10:38pm. All links I have in my history there are now dead.
Old 06-25-2003, 05:38 AM
linclogs

"It never ceases to amaze me how idiots will bid higher than retail all the time... "

Ditto that!

I once posted this in another thread:

How about Goldberg's Falcon 56 line - Tower still shows the "Falcon Mk. III" for sale (never could figure out why folks continue to bid the prices of the Falcon's way up over $100 on eBay when you can still buy it at Tower for $74.99!!!).

Than here's another I see all the time. Some one sells the Cox PT-19 U-control trainer for $32.95 or $33.95 (+ shipping) on eBay. I've seen folks jump on these for "Pristine" or " New-In-Box" sometimes for well over $100. Check Tower's price: $29.99 everday and "In stock".

What did P.T. Barnum say...?