Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Noob wants a tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 08:39 PM
chrisolver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob wants a tank

Hi Guys,

After receiving things such as RC cars when I was a child, It was no surprise when I recived one of the cheap Picco Z Helicopter for Christmas this year that I was facinated by RC toys again. After taking it back to University with me and and finding my house mates where addicated by it, I found they where all ordering one as well. After having the fun of flying 3 of them around the house at the same time (flying them in to sleeping drunk people on the couch was the best) we found it was time to upgrade our RC collection into a firing tank. We have all done the joys of painful BB guns when we where younger (think i have a few scars to prove it) so we saw the magic of the RC firing Tanks.

After looking on ebay and google I found either most tanks had the same pretty pathetic firing power (power wise anyway). One tank (type thing anyway) which looked more "toyish" than hobbyish (if there is such words) was the Hariot Amphibious Tank (ebay link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hariot-amphibi...QQcmdZViewItem). I think we where just wow'ed at the fact it could carry beer cans..

But again I think the fact we found the inbuilt firing on the RC tank to be the biggest sell so we went searching on the net. Unfortuantly (as mentioned above) we found all tanks had rather rubbish power rating. So was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a BB tank which can leave a nasty stink when fired? Looking to spend up $150 maybe more I was reading on some sites that all tanks where pretty much the same when it comes to power strengths so what would be our next option? Upgrading the tanks firing capabilities? Is there any guides or parts websites which sell the upgrades for this?

Cant wait to hear what you have to say.

-Chris

Old 01-15-2007, 06:12 AM
Benny Boy

Default RE: Noob wants a tank

sory man but you wont get much more power $150. But if are willing to spend more go to mark-1-tanks realy big and realy power fun ones there.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:32 AM
pantiger man

hi mate if you buy a hl tank and upgrade the bb system to a vs then you should get some decent power but if you just want to shoot drunk people with it then heng long tanks are the way to go.

I have heard the heng long pershing shoots better than the other hl tanks.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:41 AM
martin g

Ah... Bournemouth, my old town.

Reading through seems you dont really want a serious tank, more like something to have a giggle with. As mentioned, the airsoft units in the Heng Long ( manufacturer) tanks are poor but can be upgraded with some time and effort. Point is, they dont need to hurt to be fun, actually trying to drive the thing and hit a running drunken flat mate at the same time will be hilarious anyway. Have you looked into the shocking tanks? space age looking RC tanks that you duel with, if your tank gets hit, you get an electric shock fromt the transmitter in your hands. Very funny, especially if you dont tell the victim its going to happen.

I dont think accurately modelled RC tanks are for you, just get a cheap BB tank and uprate the firing spring is my advice.

Hope that helps
Old 01-15-2007, 08:45 AM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want a tank just for it's BB gun then the VS 1/24 tanks are what you want. [link=http://www.tankzone.co.uk/cart/vs.htm]Click here[/link] (Scroll down a bit)

If you don't mind modding a tank then get a cheap 1/16 Heng Long (plenty on ebay -just search rc tank) and buy the Vs BB gun seperate. You'll need to take the guns apart and swap the springs. You can get a HL for about £30 - £40 and the gun is about £12 so this is the cheaper option. Also the 1/16 tanks look better.

I swapped springs on my HL Tiger (and packed it a bit) and it's a hell of a lot more powerful.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:16 PM
chrisolver

Thanks for the advise guys.

So main recommendation is go for a HL Tank 1/16 and change the spring with a VS tank one? Sounds simple enough! Another question really, what do you think of the Marui TIGER I CAMO? They claim to be able to shoot at 200FPS (take its feet per second?) Arnt the HL tank rated at 80FPS as standard? Dare I say the stupid question (which no doubt someone will slag me for) but from reading the specs these tanks sound rather nippy? Upto 15mph? Is that standard for these kind of tanks or are there some which are faster than the others?

Speed + Pain could be a nasty mix for that person who keeps stealing my last can of beer! I suppose if I wanted pain plus speed, getting a hummve army truck with a BB gun ontop or the toy RC type thing in my first post would be a better for speed or can the tanks pick up some speed (do things such as changing the gear ratios, different motors, more power options to add that little more speed)? I see this as a simple project as well as a little bit of fun

Again your advise is greatly apprecated.

-Chris
Old 01-17-2007, 01:06 AM
Harquebus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Tokyo-Marui or VS tanks (in 1/24 scale) would also be my recommendation for the best BB gun tank. They are of a higher quality standard than the Heng Long and should give you fewer problems. These particular tanks might serve best since they are slightly smaller than the HL tanks and might prove better at scooting around the inside of your dorm and hiding under furniture to evade retaliatory strikes...

The HL tanks are mainly a hobbyist's dream (because they are so temperamental at times). Talk to Mr. Swathdiver here about upgrading the HL airsoft guns if that is the route you choose. He is the guru.

-Harq