Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

planning to buy an aeroworks edge 540t 46-60 this weekend

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

planning to buy an aeroworks edge 540t 46-60 this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 05:52 PM
frankiev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default planning to buy an aeroworks edge 540t 46-60 this weekend

is this thing really a "flying brick" like i read in the other thread? theres so much trash talk in that thread that its almost scared me out of buying it. i realized that a lot of those negative comments were posted back in 2006-2007 and ive heard that aeroworks made revisions since. im powering it with a OS 55ax and was wondering if anyone has done the same (hows it fly?) it be nice to get a little 3d out of it with this setup but im not to hopeful about it. im not planning on doing any "crazy " stuff with this plane, just stepping into aerobatics but been training aggresively on realflight g5 with wind settings that i look up on weather.com for our clubs location. this will be my second plane and its the decision ive made and am confident with. i solo'd my trainer after one flight on the buddy box and then flew the wheels off of it and started doing very basic aerobatics with it but the other thread made this plane seem very unstable, prone to tip stalls, and extremely difficult to land. just want to get a little more info on this plane before i take the plunge,

thanks guys!

and please , i want input from people that have actually flown this plane not just hearsay.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:17 PM
frankiev

Default RE: planning to buy an aeroworks edge 540t 46-60 this weekend

anyone?
Old 01-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: frankiev

is this thing really a ''flying brick'' like i read in the other thread? theres so much trash talk in that thread that its almost scared me out of buying it. i realized that a lot of those negative comments were posted back in 2006-2007 and ive heard that aeroworks made revisions since. im powering it with a OS 55ax and was wondering if anyone has done the same (hows it fly?) it be nice to get a little 3d out of it with this setup but im not to hopeful about it. im not planning on doing any ''crazy '' stuff with this plane, just stepping into aerobatics but been training aggresively on realflight g5 with wind settings that i look up on weather.com for our clubs location. this will be my second plane and its the decision ive made and am confident with. i solo'd my trainer after one flight on the buddy box and then flew the wheels off of it and started doing very basic aerobatics with it but the other thread made this plane seem very unstable, prone to tip stalls, and extremely difficult to land. just want to get a little more info on this plane before i take the plunge,

thanks guys!

and please , i want input from people that have actually flown this plane not just hearsay.
Although I have not flown the plane, a close friend of mine has flown it standing right beside me on the flight line. He is big into AeroWorks planes. He has a 300, a 260, a 540 and I think maybe a couple others. He is even in the process of building another one right now for spring. I will state that he set up the 540 and maidened it and maybe flew it three times and that was it. He has not flown it since.

His comment was that it just did not fly like his other AeroWorks planes and did not handle well at all. However, it could be the way he had balanced it. He has built quite a few plane and also flown a lot of planes and I would think he knows what he is doing with balancing them because he maidens all of his own planes.

Don't know how helpful this is, but at least it is some input for you. Sometimes you can take planes other don't think flies well and go over them and get them set up good and they fly alright. You just never know. AeroWorks does make good planes.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh by the way. His was a 60-90 so maybe that makes a big difference.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:54 PM
ameyam

Its not the came plane that OP is talking about Lucgnia. OP, have a look at the user reviews>>find & review products>>research airplanes section in the RCU forum header and search for the airplane. Its a good one but too heavy for all out 3D with the 55AX and will need a 75AX in any case. Though I dont have one, I researched it a lot and then gave up on it

Ameyam
Old 01-14-2011, 09:05 PM
frankiev

thanks guys, im thinking of the great planes extra 300sp as my other choice.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:10 PM
JWQ500RC
My Feedback: (2)

I have the plane and I love the way it flies. I'm not really into 3d, so maybe I'm comming from a different perspective. My is powered by a ST90 2 stroke and I have no power problems, it will do anything I'm capable of doing and more. Hope this helps.

Jim
Old 01-15-2011, 12:14 AM
ameyam

The GP Extra 300SP is a very nice plane. Its a bit small though so prone to being more effected by the wind. It also built extremely light and isint without issues. There are several threads and reviews of the airplane on RCU and other sites but you do need to to take the reviews with a bit of salt, not all the problems have been highlighted. Biggest issue is whether you want to put the servos in the tail or the fuse, if I recollect correctly as it changes the CG. 55AX is more than sufficient for this airplane, you need to reinforce the landing gear block and the firewall. I have the airplane but not assembled, I bought it scratch&dent missing just the canopy magnets

If you are looking fo a funfly airplane that can also pattern well, look at the GP Reactor 46. It had landing gear and covering issues in the earlier versions but the newer versions have those problems sorted out

Ameyam