Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Just ordered a jerry's big boy

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Just ordered a jerry's big boy

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 10:16 AM
ramduster
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ordered a jerry's big boy

My jerry's big boy is on its way to me and now I need to know what is a good engine choice for this plane. I was thinking about a g26 but would maybe also use a good 2 or 4 stroke glow engine to keep it lite. so how about some of you big boy owners let me know what you are using.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:50 PM
suitcase
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Just ordered a jerry's big boy

Howdy. I love my big boy with the G26. It is a bit heavy so I mounted the rudder servo in the rear and also put the battery back there. With a 16X8 APC prop it will not roll over ten feet before it's airborne. And even at $2.25 a gallon, it's a lot cheaper to fly. I'm using Hitec HS 475s on the wing, HS 635s for elevators, and HS 645 MG for the rudder. A 2000mah Nimh battery. This plane is really flies great and lands about as slow as you can walk. I used all the hardware that came with it. It was my first attempt at pull-pull and it wasn't hard at all. Here's a few pics of mine. You WILL NOT be disappointed, I promise.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90124.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	308447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa34333.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	308448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ji77407.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	308449  
Old 08-10-2005, 04:01 PM
suitcase

If you decide on the G26, you can make things a little easier on yourself when mounting the fuel tank by going ahead and cutting in a hatch on the top of the fuse behind the firewall. I fought it for awhile and my tubing kept getting crimped and so I laid it out and used a hobby knife to cut it out. Glue in some scrap balsa to lay the hatch on and use small screws to hold it down. Quite simple really. I did it to all my US 120s.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:54 PM
ramduster

Thanks suitcase I have read your threads and they are what got me to order the big boy over the ultra stick 120 or other stick planes. looks like the g26 is what I will be getting or may do a weedeater conversion to save a few bucks .
Old 08-11-2005, 08:49 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have see the Big Boys with Makita 50's but that was getting close to over doing it. The plane is rather versatile for most gas engines in the 25 - 50 cc range.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:54 PM
randy racer
My Feedback: (3)

you will love the BIG BOY. i run a OS 91FX on mine with a 14x6 apc or a 15x4 wood prop and it does very well. it hovers a 1/2 throttle and has good pull out. if i replace my engine i might go to a 108 OS or maybe a 120 YS, but the 91 is doing fine. yes you need to cut a door in the top of the fus, it will make fuel tank install much easier. also use good servos, the control serfaces are large and they need some torque.

good luck

randy
Old 08-12-2005, 05:04 PM
ICE_MAN

A 50cc Is WAAAAAAAAAAY over doing it in this plane... Maybe not a weedeater engine but like a DA 50 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much![8D]
Old 08-16-2005, 01:52 PM
ramduster

I got my jerry's big boy in yesterday and man dose this plane look good but one thing that is troubling me is the size of the wing hold down bolts they are very small so please some of you guys tell me if you are having problems with them. I don't to go flying and have a real bad day because of some small wing bolts.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:18 PM
m3e30

Sweet
Old 08-17-2005, 08:05 AM
randy racer
My Feedback: (3)

i have tried to break the wings off of mine for about 4 gal of fuel without any problems. the big boy i had before this one had around 70 to 80 hard flights with out problems, lost due to battery failure. always check your batteries and fly the s*^t out of it.

good luck
randy
Old 08-17-2005, 10:57 AM
ramduster

Thanks they had me worried a little bit also I may put a magnum 1.08 on it that is new can any body give me any idea of how bad this engine is going to suck fuel.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:19 PM
suitcase

I don't want to be negative but RVator bought a Mag 108 and put it on a Goldberg extra 300 1/5 scale. He was never satisfied with the power output. The BB is much bigger than that plane which has only about a 65" span. It would drop off in the turns and it always worried him so he sold it. He still has the plane and wants to put a YS 110 on it some day. Just letting you know how his was.

ORIGINAL: ramduster

Thanks they had me worried a little bit also I may put a magnum 1.08 on it that is new can any body give me any idea of how bad this engine is going to suck fuel.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:26 PM
RCBOZO

suitcase in your opinion what engine would you buy for the Big Boy, other than a G26?
I was under the impression that the Saito 100 was a perfect fit for this plane.
The Big Boy should fly lighter on the sticks than that 300 shouldn't it?
Old 08-18-2005, 03:38 PM
ramduster

Hey suitcase what do you think about the magnum XLS 91 or the GMS 1.20. I have not got an engine for this plane yet and money is tight so I would like to keep the engine price around 150.00$ so I can spend more on better servos
Old 08-18-2005, 03:51 PM
suitcase

I believe the bolts arm more than strong enough. Take care when drilling the holes for them though, I didn't get the angle right for my left one and it isn't as smooth to install. If there's one weak point in the provided hardware it would be the landing gear. It's very light but that also makes it a bit soft and springy. My field is a little bumpy and sometimes it bends the gear a little. I put some fibreglass on the firewall and on the fuse where the gear bolts on. Thats the only "beefing up" I've done to it. I'm looking for the pic of mine with the hatch on top. Found it. I had another better shot but don't know what happened to it. You can just see it in this one. Also, make sure you open the right place for your servo. It's easy to open the wrong bay.
ORIGINAL: ramduster

I got my jerry's big boy in yesterday and man dose this plane look good but one thing that is troubling me is the size of the wing hold down bolts they are very small so please some of you guys tell me if you are having problems with them. I don't to go flying and have a real bad day because of some small wing bolts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85934.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	312007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12407.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	312008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48293.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	312009  
Old 08-18-2005, 05:07 PM
ICE_MAN

ST 1.40 Is $150 at tower.. I love mine!
Old 08-18-2005, 05:24 PM
ramduster

Hey Ice man how good is it on fuel economy.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:06 PM
RVator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ICEMAN has had lots of good things to say about his 2300 ST and it seems like a good choice for the price. Its close to a 1.60 OS in power and would really do the trick. My Magnum never held tune and always deadsticked. It ran a lot like the Tower 46's that some people love and others like me hated. I know a lot of people talk about flying Big Boys with .91 FS or 2S but I would want a little more. I fly a 60 Size Ultra Stick with an OS 91 surpass and it is great but the added drag of a bigger wing and more weight may be too much for it. A 1.08 OS would be a good choice but is a lot more $$ than the ST.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:22 AM
RCBOZO

Isn't the fuel tank that is included with JBB small 10-12 oz.? What are the flight times on a Super Tiger 2300?
Old 08-19-2005, 09:59 AM
kennydee

Hi Guys, I've been flying and enjoying my Big Boy for a couple of months. I love this plane. I put a Sig First Place 1.3 in mine (not my first choice, picked up this engine at a very good price). The First Place engine flys the plane pretty good, although it won't quite hover. This plane is the worlds biggest park flyer. I too put my rudder and elevator servo's in the back. I used conventional control arms(not pull-pull). I easily get 20 minute+ flight times on this engine. I wanted a Big, easy to fly, sport-aerobatic plane and the Big Boy is perfect. With more power, I'm sure it would easily do a lot of 3D stuff.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:24 PM
ramduster

The tank for the big boy is 16oz
Old 08-20-2005, 07:54 AM
JL636
My Feedback: (79)

I'm in the final stages of assembly in my BB. I've installed the pull-pull on the aft surfaces and to be honest I don't like the setup on the elevator halves. It will work fine I'm sure once I get the tension set right, but there is something I just don't like about it ( but thats just me). I have noticed some are putting the elevator servos in the tail. Being as it is very narrow back there, how are they being placed. The only way I figure it out to get the servos close to the same location is mount them the same distance from the tail and to put one or the other a servo width above the one of the opposite side. Stack them so to speak. Does this sound correct or does somebody have a better way. I have a new Magnum/ASP 91 on the front and am thinking maybe the OS 108 would be a better choice. Thanks. Joe
Old 08-20-2005, 10:44 AM
ICE_MAN

Hey guys sorry I haven't been on here in a couple days..

My ST is swinging a Mejzlik 18X6 at between 88-8900 RPM with a good smoke trail.. I have a 12 oz. main tank and a 2 oz. header and a Bisson pitts exhaust(both stacks open) in a 9lb. Ultra Stick. It has plenty of power to hover and pull out.. Gives great transition and I can fly for 18-20 mins. on the 14 oz.

IMHO for $150 you can't beat it.. Just spend plenty of time breaking it in and tuning it.. Mine has over 14 gallons through it.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:30 PM
suitcase

Haven't checked in for couple days. It is very thin in the tail making istallation of the servos very tight. That's why I went ahead and used the pull pull for the elevators. I don't have any trouble at all with the elevator control. I clamped a short piece of yard stick on the stab of each elevator to keep it lined up. I centered the servos using the radio. Then I adjusted the control rods till there wasn't any tension on them,,, or very little. The only servos that buzz (occasionaly) are the ailerons and throttle.

Concerning engines, all I know is that there were alot of peole saying that they were going to use the Mag 91 FS. But I agree with RVator that I believe you need more than that. His US 60 flies great on his OS 91FS but the BB is much bigger.

My battery hatch is on the bottom of the fuse near the tail. It is tight because of the servo for the rudder, but it will work. I'm borderline balanced for sure with the G26 because high grass makes me keep full up when I taxi.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:12 PM
RCShadow

How would you guys rate this plane against the GP Giant Big Stik and the Roadrunner ???

I am wanting to convert a Ryobi 25-30cc weedie for one of these but cannot make up my mind which one (??).

CJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.