Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Event pilots?????????????

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Event pilots?????????????

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 01:54 PM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Extreme Event pilots?????????????

I wss just out looking at the lineup for the Extreme Event in Dayton Ohio. The whole lineup has changed![:'(] What happened to the pilots that were suppose to be there??????????? I was really looking forward to the big names being there this year. I'm definately not bashing the people that are coming, but I have seen alot of them fly many times and I was looking to see some of the big names they had on there lineup just a month or so ago. Any information on this change could someone enlighten me????
Old 05-31-2005, 01:57 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Event pilots?????????????

Hmmm...there are several new blank lines.....

bummer
must have just been updated....
Old 06-01-2005, 07:29 AM
Dar

Every year we start out with people that confirm to fly and are excited about competing. As we get closer to the event people are human and have things happen with jobs and family that make it impossible to honor the commitment. Some just get cold feet and withdraw. That`s not normally a problem unless the cancellation happens late and it`s not fair to bring someone else in that hasn`t had time to prepare. We do what we can to get alternates set up but it will still be a fun contest with many great pilots attending.
Also we have always tried to include some new talent in the lineup to help them get national exposure which has worked well in the past. It`s great to see the top pilots perform but new moves usually come from a new guy! John Leyland is a good example of that.
Come visit us and see Matt Chapman perform on Friday & Saturday and the raffle is looking awesome this year with a DA150 & a Futaba 14MZ available along with many other items. See you there.
Bill Cline/XFC committee
Old 06-01-2005, 08:51 AM
edge_pilot

I definately will still be there. I just really was happy to see it when Quique,Chip, Mike plus other were all going to be there. Now it seems as they are not. And I doubt guys like that got cold feet. I'm sure it will still be awesome and I have to try to win the 14MZ anyways. I am looking forward to Matt Chapman being there. I also go to see the Heli's as much as anything. I guess the whole deal was just a shock that so many pulled out so late and close to competition.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Dar

Dave, We were somewhat surprised too because some of those big names wanted in badly.Really can`t explain other than sometimes this happens. It`s tough to pick a date for an event without conflicts with other contests. There is just so much going on in the hobby.
The heli side is strong and all those guys are coming. We will fill the remaining spots with as much talent as we can find and it will be a great show no matter what. It`s hard to describe how awesome eighty freestyles a day can be without being there. Stop and say hi!
Bill Cline
Old 06-01-2005, 12:16 PM
exeter_acres

Is there any open flying at the field??

should we bring planes or just lawn chairs??
Old 06-01-2005, 12:45 PM
Dar

Normally in the past we have allowed open flying at the conclusion of the rounds but have noticed most of the contestants still practice or do tuneup flights into the evening. If you want, there is still foamy flying allowed as long as frequency issues are addressed. It`s a large runway and plenty of room. Just give the competing pilots some time as they are all working hard to win. And yes, a chair is a must but no canopies allowed in the center area to keep from blocking the view.
Bill
Old 06-01-2005, 01:27 PM
exeter_acres

Foamy?? OK...I'll pack my brushless Zagi and zip around the field at 75Mph!! That will go over well....

Combat anyone??

Kidding of course... I'll pack my little 3D guys.....so should we just leave our glow/gas planes at home??

also, is there an entry fee? there is no mention on the website
Old 06-01-2005, 01:53 PM
Dar

Yes. the entry fee is $5 per day and there will also be a Hooters wing ding one night. Food vendors will be available onsite for the three days. All you have to do is bring Budweiser for the evening.Make sure it`s VERY cold.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:27 PM
Fly-n-3D

That sounds pretty good.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:36 PM
Breakstuff5050

awww man, I wish I could go...it just sounds like a ball of fun!!!! Where is the website for this?
Old 06-02-2005, 06:39 PM
exeter_acres

http://www.xfc-rc.com/
Old 06-02-2005, 06:59 PM
Breakstuff5050

thanks!
Old 06-03-2005, 11:24 AM
Windecker
My Feedback: (11)

I understand what you mean by all the top pilots, but you know there are still top pilots going!
John won two years aga and if he had not broken his crankshaft last year would have won. Jason will be there and he is always in the hunt. Sean is great to watch and so on.

Yea it is a bummer that some of the more well known guys canceled, but I would rather see someone who wanted to be there and had prepaired to be there than a big name person who did not want to be there or had not practiced be there.

It will be fun nomatter what, this is a great event for sure.
Windecker
Old 06-03-2005, 12:25 PM
edge_pilot

Don't get me wrong, I am still looking forward to going. I live in Ohio and see the people that are currently flying the extreme event all the time. I have not seen guys like Chip or Quique fly much. Jason, and John are great pilots, no question. I just believe the more big names the more the pilots push the envelope. It is just something I noticed that alot if not all of the pilots that have dropped out are JR sponsored. Its hard for me to believe this is a coincidence. The first year I went blew me away on what the airplanes did and how low, now last year the helicopters I thought did more of an improvement. It will be interesting to see which one this year impresses me more.[:-]
Old 06-03-2005, 12:57 PM
Windecker

I got you ok, no worries.
I did notice that several JR guys are the ones that seemed to have backed out, but there were some Futaba guys also. Same thing happed the first year. I sure hope this is not a Futaba/JR/Airtronics thing. We all have way more important things in life to deal with than that!
Looking forward to being there again. I thought the airplanes were more fun last year and the heli's more fun the year before that, but you know that is something exciting about this whole thing. We all share a common interest but get exctited about different things (if you know what I mean).
Windecker
Old 06-03-2005, 01:51 PM
Dar

The last thing we as a committee want to happen is pilots divided due to manufacturer affiliation. We really don`t care what radio system or aircraft they fly as long as it`s safe and competetive. There are so many contests and events for people to attend that we strive to make this a very exciting and fun time so spectators aren`t disappointed. The past years have proven that. It never seems to have the pressures associated with it like the Masters or TOC and if someone has a problem we seen helis and planes loaned to finish the round. Everyone has a great attitude no matter what happens even when equipment hits the ground. That certainly happens every year. Remember there are eighty freestyle flight per day and these guys go for it! Usually the new talent pushes the contest harder than the veterans because they now have the opprtunity to showcase their ability in front of the best judges,an excited and appreciative crowd and a lot of media coverage.
Come check it out. You won`t be disappointed.
Bill
Old 06-03-2005, 02:06 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: edge_pilot

It is just something I noticed that alot if not all of the pilots that have dropped out are JR sponsored. Its hard for me to believe this is a coincidence.

I can assure you that your assumption is off base.
People have other commitments and scheduling conflicts.
In my case, I dropped out back in April because I thought I'd be in China right now picking up our new adopted daughter. Turns out, we wont be heading there until later in the month.
I have nothing put together for music or routines at this point so I am unprepared to go and compete.

It will be a great event as it always has been and will continue to be.

Old 06-03-2005, 02:48 PM
Dar

Wayne, You could still come and drink beer with me if you want. Bring your foamy.
Bill
Old 06-03-2005, 03:15 PM
Windecker

Well put Bill. I agree with you 100%.
Wayne, I will share a beer with you also!
Bill you owe me one (or ten) already <bg> but bet I bring plenty anyway.

This is about the only thing (the XFC) other than work that could possibly keep me from Nat's practice! It is worth giving up a weekend for. Also, the raffle is no slacker either! Great stuff handed out there for sure. Not sure if your going to do it the same way you have been or not, but I really like that "take a chance on what you WANT" idea. Go ahead and put me down for that 14MZ! Heck while we are at it, it would go very nice with that DA150. Kill two birds with one stone.

Extra judges this year also, I really like how it has developed over the past 3 years.
Windecker
(Will B.)
Old 06-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Dar

We`re fortunate to have so many good people to help and it is much appreciated. And yes, I owe you several beers from the Masters last year. Will, You saved my life! See you next week and the beer will be COLD!
Wayne. You could still fly if you want.
Bill
Old 06-04-2005, 05:30 PM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

Wayne,

Good luck in China.