Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Jump angle for ultimate jump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 07:43 PM
Hack u 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jump angle for ultimate jump?

I want to plan for a video I want to make this Summer. For this jump I will be using a 1/10 scale Nitro Buggy 4x4 ( I will not disclose make to avoid haters ). 18 motor 2 speed tranny. I want to jump a balance of length and height. Actually the plan is to jump a Quick Lube Shop. I believe this will be more impressive than a house. I figure I am donating this for your pleasure. I plan on losing this car after words...but that would be something if iI pull this off!
Question: What angle and height for this jump ie 8ft,9ft ramp etc...????
Thanks for any help
Old 03-16-2011, 07:46 PM
Hack u 2

Default RE: Jump angle for ultimate jump?

And does ramp at take off need to be higher than roof top? How far back to set the ramp would help too? Im guessing roof is 23-25 ft high
Old 03-16-2011, 07:46 PM
sloppyG

two feet tall, and build it at a 90 degree angle to the ground
Old 03-16-2011, 07:48 PM
Hack u 2

hater???
Old 03-16-2011, 07:54 PM
sloppyG

no way, that's what I did when I jumped my rustler over the burger king
Old 03-16-2011, 07:55 PM
Hack u 2

Any Video?
Old 03-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Shabbernigdo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im gonna guess its a Red Cat or Exceed.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:16 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're serious then it's for the best you use a Redcat. They're cheap enough to easily replace, which is a given since the car is going to shatter when it comes back down regardless of who made it.

As for actually doing it....eh I wouldn't. But I value the structural integrity of my RCs so take that as you will. But if you must, just scale one of those plastic BMX ramps up to about roof height, hit it at the top of the rev band in second gear and hope you don't hit someone suehappy when it comes back down.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:01 AM
sloppyG

unfortunaly I don't have video,

I had a cool on board video cam mounted, but when my car landed it ended up in the back of a pickup that had just gone through the drive thru and I wasn't able to catch the guy before he drove off with my rustler
Old 03-17-2011, 06:22 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: 378

If you're serious then it's for the best you use a Redcat. They're cheap enough to easily replace, which is a given since the car is going to shatter when it comes back down regardless of who made it.

As for actually doing it....eh I wouldn't. But I value the structural integrity of my RCs so take that as you will. But if you must, just scale one of those plastic BMX ramps up to about roof height, hit it at the top of the rev band in second gear and hope you don't hit someone suehappy when it comes back down.
Dunno seen savages pull it over a house and drive off after with no damage
A guy who worked at the LHS, and his girlfriend used to jump their savages over her garage.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:30 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've done the house jump with a rustler a few times. The first 3 times it landed and was able to drive away. The last time it broke a rear arm and gearbox as it landed on the BBQ grill on the way down.

The size and shape ofthe ramp depends on the building you're jumping over. No one here can give you dimensions as we have no clue how big the building is.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:23 AM
trax de max

its easy measure length of building your jumping, measure that back from the building mark the floor measure height of building multiplied by 1.8 work out angle from that length of ramp would have to be half the distance measured back minus half the distance of the height.and you would need to hit the ramp at 36.746 mph to clear it or 35.249 to land on roof going over 36.746 will break your car and use lipos with a nitro rocket pack next to it.it would look so much cooler trying to jump it but hitting the shop front.</p>

and def video it</p>

if that doesn`t work at least you`d have a cool vid</p>
Old 03-17-2011, 08:07 AM

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Dunno seen savages pull it over a house and drive off after with no damage
A guy who worked at the LHS, and his girlfriend used to jump their savages over her garage.
Savages have way more ground clearance than buggies. OP is jumping a buggy.

No doubt a good MT could pull it off, but a buggy lacks the suspension travel to absorb that kind of impact. It's going to shatter something.

http://vimeo.com/20968171 I think we can both agree Adam Drake knows what the hell he's doing and we both know he doesn't run junk. Yet he did a crazy jump similar to what OP wants to do and annihilated the front end on his buggy.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:11 PM
djyjrlz

to be honest the only goal of hat video was to get the MOST air he possibly could, <div>it wasn't exactly controlled, it has rockets so it isn't a controlled jump. basically just sent it spinning end over end about 20 times.</div><div>
</div><div>IF you were to run a monster truck 'aka well set up savage' you would get some good results on landing if you jumped it properly. </div><div>working with a lot of dirtbike jumps it happens to be that a jump with a take off of around 30 degrees will get you the right height/distance ratio but the size of the ramp depends on the size of the building. just guess at size and do some testing for distance and height and then add the building as well as a nice big landing ramp on the other side and you should be dandy. </div>
Old 03-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Hack u 2

Well so far great info! I have been in hobby many years and want to do something spectacular and fun to watch. I will do this just like a build thread.. We will all have a say. I have the extra cars to pull this off. I chose a buggy for speed and agility but never even considered the landing because I was assuming this would break anyway. I did not want to bring brand into play because it takes away from the jump conversation. So with that said I am gonna let you the crowd...pick what happens and when. I have the cars now just need to pick.
1. Stock Tornado .18
2. T Maxx with 2.5 ( I have a brand new 3.3 but didnt want to use it...but if the vote wins then it is what it is)
3. RC10t4 ( Mamba Max with 4.5)
4. RC10B4 ( Same electronics no mater what electric car Mamba Max with 4.5) Unless this is to fast then I have every brushless size.

Lets get this going..... We can even pick what to jump???? I live in Colorado so google a favorite place....I will travel 40 miles from Denver N,S,E, or west
Also we need to pick a thread name and place to put it??? General or specific??
Old 03-17-2011, 02:18 PM
sloppyG

jump the bronco statue at the football stadium!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2011, 02:31 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

dont put down what you dont own.
i have jumped my redcat tornado epx pro hundreds of times of those skate board ramps.
at the end of last summer, i wanted more hight! so i told my buddy to kneel behind the ramp and hold it at a steeper angle. nearly double its normal angle.

the 1st attempt failled as the buggy hit the ramp so hard it knocked it loose of my friend's hands!
2nd try he reduced the angle alittle. about 60 degrees. this time the buggy hit the ramp, went up it and flew nearly straight up. landed only 6-7 feet past the jump, as the steep angle caused it to go more up than over.
nothing broken or bent. tough little buggy.
Oh, the epx pro is the brushless version, and was running a 2s lipo. hitting the ramp at 30-35mph(i didnt have room for full speed) thats the speed of many nitros.

anyway, to the OP, do you want to jump onto the roof....or over it? a ramp that increases in angle towards the end will give more hight and less distance.
a longer jump with a linear angle will provide better distance, but will have to be higher at the end.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:05 PM
Hack u 2

I have plenty of cars but narrowed to the 4-5 I can sacrifice or want too. Also the Mile High horse can be jumped at DIA but stadium is impossible for my technoligy. I don't expect anyone to know the land marks...but burger kings, subways, car wash etc are universal to areas. Also I have 2 video cameras to record various angles 2 digital cameras and a couple cell phones to record. This should capture the desired moment. I also have a radar gun that can be mounted by ramp for speed desired or verification.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97039.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	1580137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28879.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	1580138  
Old 03-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Snook Man

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">Height and distance will depend on the top speed/weight and ramp angle of what ever rc you choose to jump.</font></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">You will need to do some practice jumps and probably change the angle of the ramp a few times before you get it correct.</font></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">I have jumped many rc&rsquo;s (Mt&rsquo;s, Buggys and Truggys) over houses, RV&rsquo;s garages etc, and you will rarely get it right the 1<sup>st</sup> time.</font></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">The main thing is to be able to hit the ramp at the same speed for each attempt to judge the height and distance for determining what changes need to be made to the ramp angle. A slow curved ramp will give the best results as to not upset the jumping vehicle at launch. You can get some big air and distance with a ramp constructed of a 4x8 sheet of plywood if the angle and curve is setup correctly. Be prepared to break a few parts and pre planning/practice jumps will help when you go for the big one.</font></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">Buggys jump higher/farther and break less parts than Mt&rsquo;s and truggys.</font></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"></p>

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman"></font></p>

</p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">Here are couple vids.</font></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"></p>

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman"></font></p>

</p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">This buggy (cheap Sportwerks) jumped this house and garage more than 50+ times with only minimal damage and usually drove away.
http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/k...yhousejump.mp4</font></p>

</p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">This Revo jumped the same house many times and was abused continually with ramp to ramp jumps, over the RV etc with all in all more damage than the buggys ended up with.</font></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">Notice the curve of the ramp on the backflip jump. It&rsquo;s really important to have a nice curve to launce from to not upset the handling of the RC..</font></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"></p>

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/k...t=Backflip.mp4</font></p>

</p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font color="#800080" size="3" face="Times New Roman">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDC6EBnTW8E</font></p>
Old 03-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Hack u 2

I know Im not original in wanting this ...but that is exactly what I want...biggest best air! Then I can say I did that!
Old 03-17-2011, 05:17 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Call a physics prof at a local university. Give them vehicle weight, length of building to clear, est top speed. I'd guess an angle 45-50 degrees.
TLJAR.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: eddieC

Call a physics prof at a local university. Give them vehicle weight, length of building to clear, est top speed. I'd guess an angle 45-50 degrees.
TLJAR.

LOL...it's only high school physics, so that makes it easier when looking for advice, but in all things, there's theory and then there's reality where unforeseen factors play a major part.

The angle also depends on how close you are to the bldg you want to jump. If I wanted to do this, I'd experiment in an open area with a 45 degree jump first, and tailor it from there.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:26 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

LOL...it's only high school physics, so that makes it easier
Oh, 'only' HS physics... So I guess you'll be enlightening the rest of us... sometime soon... After you make some phonecalls, and possibly a wikisearch?If it wasso easy, you'd have given the answer.

Perhaps...
Old 03-17-2011, 11:32 PM

Your best bet for doing the jump without destroying the car is the Tmaxx but I suggest fitting a roll cage. You'll need the structural help. If you fit the right upgrades(Aluminum bulks being pretty damn high on the list, but keep the arms plastic so if anything does break it's easy to replace), set the shocks up right and properly control it's attitude mid-air, a Maxx might just be able to land it unscathed.

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

dont put down what you dont own.
i have jumped my redcat tornado epx pro hundreds of times of those skate board ramps.
at the end of last summer, i wanted more hight! so i told my buddy to kneel behind the ramp and hold it at a steeper angle. nearly double its normal angle.

the 1st attempt failled as the buggy hit the ramp so hard it knocked it loose of my friend's hands!
2nd try he reduced the angle alittle. about 60 degrees. this time the buggy hit the ramp, went up it and flew nearly straight up. landed only 6-7 feet past the jump, as the steep angle caused it to go more up than over.
nothing broken or bent. tough little buggy.
Oh, the epx pro is the brushless version, and was running a 2s lipo. hitting the ramp at 30-35mph(i didnt have room for full speed) thats the speed of many nitros.

Here you go spouting off like I insulted your mother because I mentioned a buggy will shatter on landing a jump that high.

Do kindly re-read my post, you'll notice where I said it doesn't matter who made it. Redcat, AE, Exceed, Losi, they're all equally screwed jumping that high. If you still don't believe me, here's an AE RC8 getting very severely damaged by an extreme jump. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTOOIn6Pqpg&feature=related[/youtube]

Now stop acting like everyone's trying to hate on Redcat. It's bloody annoying. A buggy, doesn't matter who made it, isn't going to fare well pulling off a stunt like what OP wants. His best bet is a monster truck. His second best bet is something one can easily afford to replace if it's totalled.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:18 AM
trax de max

i`d like to some practice jumps so i can decide on what you should use for this, It sounds like a great plan and will be around forever on internet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.