Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Some peoples used RC prices ?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 07:58 AM
Scottgir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some peoples used RC prices ?!?!

I just had to vent. What are some people thinking in terms of the prices they ask. I've seen some USED OLD versions of cars being sold for $20 less than a BRAND NEW one.

I'm only posting this to vent. I want to post on some people's ads "WHAT ILLEGAL SUBSTANCE ARE YOU ON?!?!" But that's disrespectful so I won't.

Okay Rant Over[>:][>:]
Old 03-17-2011, 08:02 AM
sloppyG

Default RE: Some peoples used RC prices ?!?!

because people are stupid,

some people don't do research and some idiots are ocassionally paying these inflated prices,

some people just ask high prices because they know they're going to get lowball offers, and it gives them more negotiation room

some people have more time to sell things, so they can wait longer for a buyer willing to pay more

I like to sell my stuff cheap and fast, and get it over with, so I price things cheap and they're always gone in a day or two.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:25 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

there was an ad for a rustler or slash 2wd for $900 on RCU for like 2 weeks.
All the guy did was fling integy parts on it
Old 03-17-2011, 08:28 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly..... Most people are not informed and have no clue what the cars are worth. If I post on an RC forum I use the 1/2 rule. I ask for about 1/2 of what I have in the truck. If I post on Ebay or Craigslist then i'm out to get as much as I can for the car and inflate the price.

I don't want to brag but I've sold some stuff for a lot more than I thought it was worth. I had a par of XL5 Rustlers NIB. They where sitting here for years and I never opened them. I sold a Losi Buggy on Craigs List and the guy came to my house to pick it up. He saw the rustlers sitting there and asked if they where for sale... I said sure and asked him what he thought was fair... He said $200 ea. I agreed and he went to get more money.

I sold an old Hi-Rider corvette. Had no clue what it was worth so I posted it on Ebay for $150 and Craiglist for $200. Got a call almost instantly from Craigs list. We haggled a bit and sold it for $180. In my opinion if was a $100 car maybe..

Bottom line is someone will eventually pay whatever you're asking. You just need to find that person and be prepared to wait for that person to come along.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:32 AM
sloppyG

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

there was an ad for a rustler or slash 2wd for $900 on RCU for like 2 weeks.
All the guy did was fling integy parts on it
it was $950, and he's now marked "sold" in the ad

he probably just took the ad down as he realized he was on crack,

asking 950 for a RC that was $300 new is crazy, no matter how much junk you bolt onto it, or how many mods you make to it

a $300 RC is never going to be worth more than $300

his $950 asking price was likely only $700-$750 too high
Old 03-17-2011, 08:35 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i hav seen worse.
like a brushed rustler with a MSC for $200 BIN price?

alot of used crawlers have big prices on them. just cause you spent $240 on your ax10, then $150 in new parts does not make it worth $350 used!
Old 03-17-2011, 08:39 AM
studysession

It's insane what people expect for used stuff. OK you invest a lot into your RC, does not mean you will get your money back. This hobby is a money pit and they just need to accept it and be reasonable on what they ask for their USED items.....
Old 03-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Scottgir

Yeah, I don't get it sometimes buy you're right. I guess it's the old "sucker born every minute". Honestly though, it seems like there are a lot of sellers specifically on this site that think there are A LOT of suckers out there because you constantly see the same vehicles for sale on here over and over again and way too inflated.

I don't want to call out any specific ads, but I'd venture to say at least 25% of them have ZERO clue what to price a vehicle for.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:14 AM
nitroade

I think the main problem is people think modding their RC is an "investment" as if they are increasing the value and expect a return on their investment. Cukoo.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

Funny, I was thinking the same thing earlier today when I was browsing the Buy Sell listings.  Saw the Slash for $950 and my jaw dropped lol.  Theres several others that are grossly overpriced as well, but sometimes people pay for it.  Buyer Beware.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:36 AM
studysession

ORIGINAL: nitroade

I think the main problem is people think modding their RC is an ''investment'' as if they are increasing the value and expect a return on their investment. Cukoo.

So true
Old 03-17-2011, 11:42 AM
sloppyG

wow, the marketplace is funny

so many bozo's asking new prices for a used RC
Old 03-17-2011, 12:13 PM
airmayle

When I'm shopping for a used RC I normal look for about half price off the regular price. After that, then I'll take into consideration what hop ups have been added and if they have new parts, spare parts, and extra tires to increase the price point.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:40 PM
OvalRacer99

When I sell my used stuff, I list it for what <u>ITHINKIT'S WORTH</u>.
You, as the buyer, have 2 choices, take it or leave it.
The value of anything is relative, you will probaly not think it's worth the same as I do.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:51 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i just saw a redcat lightning nitro car on ebay used for $280 with shipping.
they are only $150 new. ad says a new larger .18 motor was installed that cost $95.
so what?
Old 03-17-2011, 03:14 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just like real cars, aftermarket engines, sound systems and rims do little to nothing to add value.

i usually ask depending on its age and functionality.

my rc18T is fast as all hell and is well set up but i would only ask $75 for it.
my OFNA 9.5 upgraded to the max with a $300 engine and $100 pipe i would ask $250 with starter box.
if i broke in a $300 rc, drive it for 15minutes, clean it up and sell it, i would sell it for $235.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:20 PM
huey267

I have to agree with this. Seems lately there a lot of high priced used rc vehicles and equipment on RCU. I live in a small town and scan Craigslist all the time for deals and some do come along but man some of the listings on Craigslist are insane. I sold cars for 7 some odd years and its like dealing with people who wanna trade in the old one and want what they paid new 2 yrs ago? Nothing wrong with making a profit but as someone else stated when I go to sell my rc stuff I price it fairly and for it to sell, usually so I can get the cash for something I have my eye on. Anyway just my 2 cents worth...Semper Fi
Old 03-17-2011, 06:21 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sellers are entitled to ask whatever they want. Buyers are entitled to accept or turn down the price. No need to get annoyed if people put a ridiculous price on things.

Maybe I'm way out to lunch too, but for an RC in decent shape, I figure no more than 1/2 of its New Value regardless of any hop-ups. Those cool parts should just help it sell quicker, not raise the value any amount (except for Baja 5Bs where the Seller may have thousands into it, in which case, he's better off to keep it and never have any regrets).

And that's why I don't ever sell my RCs. If they ever sit around for too long without being used, I'll give them away to the kid next door.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:16 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

these are perhaps bait tactics, fooling the ignorant that they are getting a good deal

ive seen this a lot on ebay....where they have the "buy now, or make offer" deal .... if you throw a reasonable offer even though it maybe several hundred lower than the asking price the seller accepts the offer

one quick example.... on ebay i found a seller selling 2 hitec 5925mg servos for 140 plus 8 shipped.. these were 90 dollar servos back in the day...great for 1.20 size or 1/4 scale 3d planes or solid gasser throttles... i made a offer of 100 shipped, and he agreed.....ive been in the same shoe as well, coming for a sellers point of view.... i always always post a higher than normal price, this makes the buyer more inclined to buy your product since he "worked" down my asking price and negotiated a deal...when the deal is done im always ahead, i never take a lowball offer for less than my lowest set selling price is
Old 03-18-2011, 06:41 AM
Gooseman240

The only reason we have items in this world going for as much as they are is idiot's will pay for it.

For example, a 10 yr old snow mobile here in Alberta still goes for 2500 -3000 grand (1/2 the price of new one, and not even close to scrap metal value). Those things have to be overhauled in ten years for sure. New motor practically. (just the way they are designed)

People will pay that and not realize what else they will have to cough up to fix it.

People with a little extra cash are idiots
Old 03-18-2011, 10:55 AM
The_Collector

ORIGINAL: Gooseman240

The only reason we have items in this world going for as much as they are is idiot's will pay for it.

For example, a 10 yr old snow mobile here in Alberta still goes for 2500 -3000 grand (1/2 the price of new one, and not even close to scrap metal value). Those things have to be overhauled in ten years for sure. New motor practically. (just the way they are designed)

People will pay that and not realize what else they will have to cough up to fix it.

People with a little extra cash are idiots
Agree. It's also the "fun" of buying it in the first place. Never mind the cost and operation of the item later. I've seen it all the time.