Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Directory for rc cars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 06:58 PM
1ne8ighty2wo
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Directory for rc cars?

I've been looking around lately for a new rc car and I found that's it's not very convienient going around to all the manufacture's sites just to see the one type of car they offer that I'm looking for. This may have been suggested before, and there may already be one, but I think someone should make a sort of directory for rc cars of all brands. Like something that lets you narrow down the choices by, for example, "nitro powered" "1/8 scale" "4wd" "monster truck" and it'll give you all the rides that fit into those categories. I don't know squat about web coding or anything, but Idon't think it would be that hard. Just enter the model and it's categories into a database of some sort. Any thoughts on this?
Old 12-20-2009, 07:09 PM
rast4man
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Directory for rc cars?

I can help in that but I would also need help. I couldn't maintain it but I could help code it. We could just use a simple link-to with a database or just do direct links to the websites manufacturers and each category that was set up.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:06 PM
1ne8ighty2wo

That's what I was thinking, links to the manufacture's page instead of info within the directory.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:47 PM
rast4man

If this thread gains more popularity, we could have people volunteer which links they would like to take (1/10 Stadium, etc) and we could get this done by January-ish.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:18 PM
1ne8ighty2wo

That would be awesome. Maybe we could get RCU to make a section on this, so we wouldn't have to make a whole new website
Old 12-28-2009, 12:28 AM
Papa Jay

Here is one, rc car database.
HTH
Old 12-28-2009, 10:10 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bet there is already such a thing in the form of a Buyer's Guide that is put out by RC Car Action magazine or something.

If you're that frustrated by it, you should take it on yourself instead of saying "someone should do it." No one is going to spend that kind of time for free, just because you're too lazy to look around. The one linked to above is incomplete.

I've found that towerhobbies.com is a good place to start. The only thing to watch out for them on is that sometimes they'll mark an item as "discontinued" simply because they've decided not to carry it any more. You can search their site by category, which it seems would be helpful to you.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:29 PM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Papa Jay

Here is one, rc car database.
HTH

That link is very incomplete .. its missing alot of cars.. specifically Traxxas... Hmmmm

Like JeremyZ said.. go to tower or Amain.. they carry most of the cars except Losi which is Horizon Hobby... those 3 should get you going...
Old 12-28-2009, 01:16 PM
1ne8ighty2wo

ORIGINAL: Jeremy Z

I bet there is already such a thing in the form of a Buyer's Guide that is put out by RC Car Action magazine or something.

If you're that frustrated by it, you should take it on yourself instead of saying "someone should do it." No one is going to spend that kind of time for free, just because you're too lazy to look around. The one linked to above is incomplete.

I've found that towerhobbies.com is a good place to start. The only thing to watch out for them on is that sometimes they'll mark an item as "discontinued" simply because they've decided not to carry it any more. You can search their site by category, which it seems would be helpful to you.
I'm not frustrated by it. I'm just saying that it would be helpful to a lot of people in the hobby, especially new comers. And I would do it, but, like I said, I don't know anything about coding or the like so I wouldn't know how to do it. I would if I could, though.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:08 PM
rast4man

It's a start.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Papa Jay

Yes it is "very" incomplete, but afterall have you ever seen such filter to compare desire parts or vehicles?
Most sites require to browse deep enough for this information and probably a new window to compare
This database is stuck by now