Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JET RALLY CHICAGOLAND AREA

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JET RALLY CHICAGOLAND AREA

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 03:15 PM
TAILHOOK-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JET RALLY CHICAGOLAND AREA

Would there be any interest in a Jet Rally in the FALL of 2004 in the Chicagoland area, at a full size airport. Planes would be limited to scale or semi-scale only. No sport (Hotspots, Bobcats, Kankaroo's, etc.). Give us your thoughts.

Thanks - Bill
Old 11-18-2003, 03:24 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: JET RALLY CHICAGOLAND AREA

I'd be interested in a rally, I have friends in that area, however, why would you limit it to scale or sport scale Jets? that eliminates me, for a 2000 mile trip I'd wanna be able to fly what I have.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:47 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Tailhook,
I would be interested in attending as my wife has family in that area and we could make it a dual purpose trip, but the limit to scale/semi-scale jets is going to keep me from coming since at the moment I fly hotspot and bobcat. Also curious as to why you want to limit it to scale jets?

Patrick
Old 11-18-2003, 03:52 PM
ckoerner

That would be great, but I wouldn't limit it to just scale stuff. Attendance would probably be a lot lower. Which airport?
Old 11-18-2003, 03:58 PM
TAILHOOK-RCU

That's kind of what we had in mind. A little lower attendance, and a whole lot more flying for the guy's who have and want to fly scale.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:08 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Tailhook,
Then instead of limiting it to just scale jets why don't you limit the amount of pilots or is it you ONLY want scale jets?

Patrick.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:17 PM
TAILHOOK-RCU

A lot of people with scale planes don't like to fly when you have all that sport stuff buzzing at your head. If you limit the amount of pilots, you may get a large number of sport signed up first thus eliminating a lot of scale pilots. Don't get me wrong I have sport planes also. This is just a fact finding post to see if it would even be worth putting on an event like this.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:19 PM
ckoerner

This area has needed a jet event. There used to be one at the Palos site, but only a few people showed up. Short runway. The closest event to here is probably Winamac, Indiana. But if it's only going to be scale, I won't be there. I don't see enough scale jets in this area to support it. There are plenty of people in this area that have sport jets that would love to have a local event. Or you can have time set aside just for the scale flyers. Just my .02 cents
Old 11-18-2003, 04:21 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Should be an interesting event.....4 or 5 airplanes that everyone stands around and looks at. One flight per day.....that leaves plenty of time for looking at the airplanes some more. Most of the guys that fly scale jets are not afraid to fly them with sport planes in the air. If you really want to do something to promote the flying of scale planes then set up a couple of time blocks for the scale stuff to fly. It seemed to go over very well at Superman. Most guys that have scale planes also fly the sport stuff and won't fly there scale planes as frequently as they will the sport planes.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:27 PM
TAILHOOK-RCU

Thanks for your .02 cents. That's just what we are looking for, we want everybody's .02 cents so we can see if it would be worth doing.

Dave, does that mean we can cross you off as comming. ya hoooooooooo.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:45 PM
Ron S

Received 206 Likes on 126 Posts

I would consider going, even though its a bit of a drive. I'm from Lombard originally, so I can visit relatives. The last time I flew up there, was at Don's Fox Valley Fan Flys. And I still have the hats![8D]

And I agree with David. The scale stuff doesn't seem to mind too much with the sport stuff in the air.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:31 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Count me out, I fly a Roo and a TopCat. My buddy has a Rookie. I can drive 45 Min to turn and burn. Why drive 5 hours to sit and watch? I did got to Top Gun in 1999, after 4 hours went flying.

bob
Old 11-18-2003, 06:10 PM
Roger Shipley
My Feedback: (35)

Bill, what airport, how many days and when?

Roger
Old 11-18-2003, 06:40 PM
F15driver
My Feedback: (24)

Sounds like a great idea, limiting it to solely scale jets. My daughter lives in Chicago so i could combine this meet with a visit to her.
Lets hear more.
Regards, Rob
Old 11-18-2003, 08:01 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Bill....or is it really Bob.... IF you have an event....YOU can count on me being there just to aggravate, and intimidate you! Hell....you ain't gunna fly may as well have someone there that is not skeered to fly one of them thar scale planes.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:01 PM
vector3

I agree sounds like a good idea. When and where, I'll be there.

Vector3 - Chris.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:03 AM
TAILHOOK-RCU

Dave in all fairness to Bob, this is not who you think it is. In fact I don't even own a jet, I do fly full scale & rc and was asked to put up a fact finding post by someone in the jet community to see if it would be worth putting on a show like this. Response seems to be both pro & con, so watch for further details on this event.

Thanks - Bill

P.S. If they do have the event, it would be great to have you there.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:24 PM
toucano

I have a stand-off scale F-4 Phantom twin engine prop-jet that I will bring. Just tell me when and where.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:47 PM
Vampire

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have done a few Scale jets over the years.

I would be interested and would like to hear more.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96065.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	75879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40633.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	75880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz66884.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	75881  
Old 11-19-2003, 01:53 PM
geraldsbernard
My Feedback: (-1)

I put on Jets over Palos for 3 years untill all of the political BS took the fun out of it.The last year I did it was 1999,We had about 30 jets registered,this was our first 2 day event and I was going good untill the rain came. We averaged 20 plus jets each year, of these 20 plus it was aprox 65% sport jets so I really think you would be shooting yourself in the foot to limit to scale jets. Well I am back after a three year hiatus,and if this is what is going on,I'm gone again.I have put 50000 miles on on my motorcycle in the last 3 years and enjoyed it...So is my money going to go to finishing my Cook F-4 D/F (yea laugh it's not a turbine!) or more Chrome on my bike.
Jerry B
Justice IL
Old 11-20-2003, 01:11 AM
Tim Redelman
My Feedback: (36)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Chicago boys hit me with this idea about two years ago and I think its a great idea in theory but will fail in reality. There just aren't that many guys who are that nervous about flying with others that would make this a killer event. I don't think its that smart to say if you have a sport jet stay home. I also think David is right to a point. If you say lets have a event and flyer's are passed out. In the case of our jet meet in Winamac, our club is trying to make some money for field maintenance and improvements. So now you have 3000 spectators in the stands and 15 guys standing around saying look at my plane ain't it awesome! Maybe I'll fly it later I'm just to nervous with all these people here. Boom all the people go home. Jet meets are a good form of revenue for an ambitious club so keeping it a secret from the public is a bad idea in my opinion. Last year a guy came with a scale airplane that was flown two or three times before the event. I offered to stop everyone flying and let him fly by himself. This offer was declined. Later when I asked him why,he said he didn't want to be the center of attention in case something went wrong. If you have a scale only meet you WILL be the center of attention. Because as you mention you will be flying alone! Also what is the incentive for guys with expensive scale models with thousands of dollars in hardware and time invested to participate in an event with no real payoff other than a plaque or bottle of glue or something. I will say it would be a great way to share tips and ideas and promote the scale end of the hobby. What about the prop F-4 from above? What is the criteria to govern the models acceptable? As I said great Idea but I don't think it will work. Personally I feel you are singleling out to many people. We have scale plane stay home sport boy! There are scale only meets and they are called contests. Top Gun , Scale masters, The scale Nationals. They are the same thing as you describe and you get to fly with only two planes in the air at a time.
So this is my offer. Next year at the Winamac Jets over the Heartland meet I will set aside two hours at lunch time on Saturday so you scale flyer's can fly alone! (Me too!) One at a time or two or more if your comfortable with others. If there is no participation or one guy thinks he should fly 20 times in the two hrs.(David Reid) I will go back to regular flying. If there is an overwhelming abundance of all the Chicago scale boys and many others I will hold a scale only meet later in the year! How do you like them apples! Our club is looking to promote another jet meet and this would be a good way. The only thing I worry about is will you come to both meets if you have both kinds of planes?

So in the words of Pat Benatar,, Hit me with your best shot!

Tim.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:14 AM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: TAILHOOK-RCU

Would there be any interest in a Jet Rally in the FALL of 2004 in the Chicagoland area, at a full size airport. Planes would be limited to scale or semi-scale only. No sport (Hotspots, Bobcats, Kankaroo's, etc.). Give us your thoughts.

Thanks - Bill
Bill

You must be Chuck S. or you must have been speaking to Chuck a whole lot.
No, you must be Bob O.
BTW, count me out if you want scale only jet event.

Regards

Ben
Old 11-20-2003, 01:17 AM
Tim Redelman

Come on ghost rider you have a F16!
Tim
Old 11-20-2003, 01:58 AM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: Tim Redelman

Come on ghost rider you have a F16!
Tim
Tim

I also have a Y/A F-18 with 2 P-120. Unfortunately, it is not AMA legal.
So in the words of James Brown, "I'm mad" (lol)

BTW, what are you doing up by 2:00 a.m?

Regards

Ben
Old 11-20-2003, 10:13 AM
Tim Redelman

Reading RCU!!!

Tim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.