Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Mato KV metal track issue.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Mato KV metal track issue.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Mato KV metal track issue.

I recently purchased a used set of metal Mato KV tracks, complete with drive sprockets and idler assemblies (also metal). I planned on installing them on a Tamiya KV tank. When I went to install them, Idiscovered that the holes in the track where the sprocket teeth fit don't line up (seem to be a different pitch) with the drive sprockets I received (or the Tamiya sprockets either) with the Mato tracks. Iknow that the tracks are genuine Mato, as they say "Mato" on each link. I can't find any makers mark on the sprockets.

I've contacted Matomart, and they stand ready to sell me replacement sprockets (which ostensibly should fit...right?), but the cost of $29.00 for Matomart's replacment sprockets puts the cost of these tracks into the realm of too expensive for the relatively cheap upgrade I had originally signed on for. I would reluctantly pay it to get the tracks operational.

Has anyone ran into this issue before? Anybody got an extra set of sprockets?
Old 01-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Dmon1996

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Mato KV metal track issue.

I'm no expert but any Tamiya I've seen has dual flat spots on the output shaft from the gearset going into the drive sprocket. Heng Long ones only have one, and the sprockets that Mato would sell would be for the Heng Long KV-1, making for a sloppy and possibly weak fit even if the shaft size is the same (and I don't know whether it is or not). I'd go monleying with the existing sprocket and see if you can trim or something to fit the track.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:05 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ordered a set of KV metal tracks with my Mato Points. When they get here I'll see if there is an issue with them.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Jeff489

The issue isn't with the fit onto the TU shaft. HL and Mato go on Tamiya shafts. Tamiya's don't without modifications. The problem I've got is that the sprocket teeth don't seem to be the same pitch as the holes in the Mato tracks. I've tried both the sprockets I got with the tracks (Mato, I think...) and I've tried the Tamiya stock ones. Both don't fit.

Thanks Dan for looking for me, I appreciate any input.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:20 AM
CHIEFSONN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

? are these the track set you are questioning,they do mention use for both Tamiya and matorro. keep us posted with the end results. Metallkettenset für Königstiger - Matorro & Tamiya
Art.Nr.: 1229909615
Artikeldatenblatt drucken
Metallkettenset für Königstiger - Matorro & Tamiya

Metallkettenset für Königstiger - Matorro & Tamiya

Metallkettenset schwarz brüniert passend für Königstiger von Matorro und Tamiya.

Lieferumfang:
Zwei komplette Ketten
Antriebs- und Leiträder aus Metall für Matorro Modell
Schrauben für Antriebs- und Leiträder
Ersatzkettenglieder und Bolzen.

89,00 EUR
inkl. 19 % MwSt.
exkl. Versandkosten

Diesen Artikel haben wir am Montag, 03. Mai 2010 in unseren Katalog aufgenommen.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:32 AM
cheap tank

i had a problem with my mato kv tracks riding up on the sprockets and found that the two parts of the sprocket did not line up. I had to file the pins to clock one sprocket half to match the other. After that i have had no more problem.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Jeff489

are these the track set you are questioning
The tracks are genuine Mato.  They say "Mato" on every link.  They just don't mesh with the sprockets.  The width of the sprockets are perfect, its just the pitch of the teeth that are off.  When you try to roll the sprocket with the track on, they teeth don't go quite in their holes and it jumps a tooth every so often.   <br type="_moz"/>
Old 01-07-2011, 09:32 AM
CaptainB

Hiya,

I've had mixed results with the Mato metal tracks - more to the point, the drive sprockets. Because the chinese use A320 aluminium in their castings, the tensile and shear strnghts of the metals is quite low. consequently, the sprockets fail.
I've had several drive sprockets on a tiger 1 and recently, on my Stug iv (not mato tracks but similar make) where the drive teeth just shear off on assembly. Very frustrating all this. I'm gonna be less enthusiastic about metal tracks etc from now on. the tanks seem to drive nicely with the plastic tracks anyway so take your choice Iguess..........

Tally ho

CaptB
Old 01-07-2011, 09:35 PM
maintcoder

Are you sure it is the sprocket?  The last metal tracks I received for my Stug had a few pots with flash in the tracks that caused it to throw tracks in this manner... I carefully filed out the flash in the tracks and no more problems.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:28 PM
RSEA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear your metal track problems Jeff..

Jeff is stating that the spacing between the sprocket teeth (both makes of sprocket wheels) is NOT the same as the spacing between the holes in the Mato tracks. I seriously doubt there is any possibility of flash in the track holes causing this, because this is Jeff, and I know how meticulous he is with his tanks. Plus, I think he has more experience using metal tracks than anyone else in our club.

I just received a set of Kenny Kong metal tracks for my Tamiya Tiger today. I already have a few little issues with them, and I haven't even tried to put them on my tank yet.. I'll be posting about that tomorrow once I have taken a couple photos of them.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:02 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got my KV tracks, and am having the same problem. I am told is the sprockets that are the problem. The teeth are a few degrees off of being true is what I am being told.

For anyone intersted the KV 1 tracks do not fit on the T-55. End of that experiment.[]

Cheers.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:37 PM
kclank

yep, i have. i switched back to heng long plastic sprockets and tracks. BTW the ones from asiatam are also different.