Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

50cc gasser, what should I go with

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

50cc gasser, what should I go with

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 03:45 PM
Matt52x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50cc gasser, what should I go with

I am looking on getting my first gasser and I don't know wich one to get in the 27% range
Planes Plus extra, Wild Hare edge or extra, or the CA extra

I'm looking for one thats great at 3d and pattern but has no ill faited characteristics.

Thanks
Old 09-14-2004, 03:55 PM
Mokken
My Feedback: (63)

Default RE: 50cc gasser, what should I go with

Extreme Flight R/C Yak 54..

[link=http://www.extremeflightrc.com]YAK 54[/link]
Old 09-14-2004, 04:20 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Composite ARF 2.3 extra 330 and DA50! Awesome combo!

JK
Old 09-14-2004, 04:55 PM
ROMANBM

I like a lot CA MODELS they are great planes and light perfect for DA 50 [8D]
Old 09-14-2004, 07:50 PM
Velox Pilot

Hello,

For Flight performance and value, the 81" Aerotech Velox is hard to beat. I have one woth a DA50 at 15.5lbs. Awesome plane. www aerotech-rcmodels.com

Later

Ted
Old 09-15-2004, 07:51 AM
Giant Flier

Hello,

Ya I got a Velox also with a BME. Great flier. I just ordered another one last week for a backup. Cant go wrong.

Best Regards

Steve
Old 09-15-2004, 09:27 AM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pacific Aeromodel 27% Edge 540T. Great flying airplane at a good price.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:31 AM
vypr
My Feedback: (6)

I have the WH, and I dont like it a lot. Its just a little twitchy for my tastes, wont smooth down nice and just fly.

I would personally go for the CA. I dont care whether that refers to Composite-ARF, Carden Aircraft or that other company that makes planes that abbreviates to CA, they are all good planes. I saw a lot of Carden stuff at the Extreme 3D event last weekend and they all flew great. I still want a Composite plane myself or I would be in line for one of their edges.

-Ian
Old 09-15-2004, 12:42 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

ORIGINAL: ibange

I have the WH, and I dont like it a lot. Its just a little twitchy for my tastes, wont smooth down nice and just fly.

-Ian
Ian, what's wrong with it. do you have the 540.

My buddy has one with a da 50 on it . and its an awsome combo. thinking about getting one myself after losing my 2.3 comp-arf
Old 09-15-2004, 06:42 PM
ilrcflyboy
My Feedback: (5)

I realize that this wasn't in your list of possible airplanes, but I am thoroughly enjoying my Aeroworks 29% Katana. It's built around the DA 50. Thread on that airplane is [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1528572/anchors_1528572/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#1528572]HERE.[/link]

You'll see that it is a typical ARf, but flies extremely straight and true. I have mine setup for IMAC, so it isn't really a 3-D machine, but I bet with a little CG adjustment it would hover all day.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:01 PM
tashley
My Feedback: (9)

I have a N.I.B. WH Extra Special for sale in the Market Place.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:25 AM
vypr

ORIGINAL: bodymann

My buddy has one with a da 50 on it . and its an awsome combo. thinking about getting one myself after losing my 2.3 comp-arf
I do have the 540. I dont really know if its just me or not but mine is just a little imprecise. Another flyer at my field confirmed this with his. Mine just isnt that precise like my GF's aeroworks 29%... given her's doesn't have near the throws that mine does at end, but with both of them on low rates mine feels unrefined.

Example: Pushing over the top of a sharks tooth or inverted humpity bump the plane will tend to yaw a bit like its trying to shimmy out. The plane isn't snappy at all and the CG is on the money. Walls and 3D are great but precision isn't.

Another of my complaints is its almost impossible to do a tight snap with the WH. It LOVES to throw the tail out. Awesome for UCD or Flip 3D style flipping arround but not good at all for precise snaps on a line like I like doing.

Its a great plane but it falls more on the 3D side of the spectrum. Personally I like a plane that has awesome 3D capabilities but still can fly IMAC... The WH just feels like a little 3Der to me.

-Ian (damn... that was longer than I intended...)
Old 09-16-2004, 12:46 AM
fiveoboy01
My Feedback: (3)

I've got the WH Edge 28%, it's a lot of plane for the $.

I heard a little insider info on the Carden Cuda last weekend, and it sounds like it's going to be a really good 50cc gasser. I'm considering buying one for a nice long project.

The EF Yak should also be awesome.

Remember that you're looking at somewhat more money if you go Carden/Yak 54/Comp-ARF. IMO the Wild Hare 28%ers make great first gassers because they can be put in the air for considerably less than some other offerings.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:15 AM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

ORIGINAL: ibange

ORIGINAL: bodymann

I do have the 540. I dont really know if its just me or not but mine is just a little imprecise. Another flyer at my field confirmed this with his. Mine just isnt that precise like my GF's aeroworks 29%... given her's doesn't have near the throws that mine does at end, but with both of them on low rates mine feels unrefined.

Example: Pushing over the top of a sharks tooth or inverted humpity bump the plane will tend to yaw a bit like its trying to shimmy out. The plane isn't snappy at all and the CG is on the money. Walls and 3D are great but precision isn't.

Another of my complaints is its almost impossible to do a tight snap with the WH. It LOVES to throw the tail out. Awesome for UCD or Flip 3D style flipping arround but not good at all for precise snaps on a line like I like doing.

Its a great plane but it falls more on the 3D side of the spectrum. Personally I like a plane that has awesome 3D capabilities but still can fly IMAC... The WH just feels like a little 3Der to me.

-Ian (damn... that was longer than I intended...)
The next time i go flying with my friend. i'll look for this to see if his is the same. but there is one thing we noticed on his plane and another at the field ( WH 300 ). Is that the rear of the FUSE has a twist in it. have you noticed this in your's. Its pretty easy to see if you sight down the fuse. this could be your problem.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:29 AM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Snap setup is wrong -
You need less rudder and a lot of elevator (only to set the snap) plus a pretty good dose of aileron.
The sometimes recomended setup of tiny throws and aft CG simply results in the model yawing a lot before reaching a snap - then the thing wallows and overshoots badly.
For best snaps you need a agile setup which pitches quickly before getting off heading.
The model also needs to as light as practical and an aft CG harms the snap - it does not help.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:35 PM
vypr

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

The Snap setup is wrong -
You need less rudder and a lot of elevator (only to set the snap) plus a pretty good dose of aileron.
I've tried a lot of things to get the snap perfect... To be honest though I am a 11+ year moddeler I have very little experience on really nice aerobatic models so I'm having to retrain myself slightly from the old style of banging sticks I used to use with my underresponsive Kaos (my old primary aerobatic model and still one of my favorite planes).

The difficulty is while I can force the plane to snap well occasinally by using just a little stick movement, it is so fineky that I can not reproduce my efforts every time. I also cant do snapping to points, one of my favorite tricks.

Oh, and my CG is just fine, not aft to try to "force" things like some moddlers do.

On the other hand my GF's 29% aeroworks edge will snap to points all day long and does a great job of staying tight. There is just some inherant differences between the two that flying ability cant seem to work out.

Oh,and as for the twist in the fuse, it didnt have one and doesnt have one now after the repairs. (has not flown yet since being crashed.... turbulance in hovers = bad bad...)

-Ian