Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Top Flight Giant Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 04:45 PM
WALKERS210-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Top Flight Giant Corsair

I have been building on this plane for sometime now, and getting closer to point to choosing engine for it. I have read a couple of reviews on this and have conflicting points. One says use the US 41 Gas for best performance, and the other says use the ST 4500 ( which I have one ) Any ideas or comments on which would give best performance?
Old 07-03-2002, 08:23 PM
bgi
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other threads here indicate that the US 41 is enough for scale performance, but not enough for some people's taste.

How is this plane to build? I understand they have been discontinued by Top-Flite. I had been thinking of getting a kit and stowing the box until I'm ready to get started on it.
Old 07-04-2002, 12:21 AM
WALKERS210-RCU

bgi the plane is NOT A BEGINERS KIT. I have been working on this one off and on for over one year. Kinda like the Royal kits, this one is the 86 1/2" wing span but it is looking great so far. Tower Hobbies still has them in limited quanities for around $299 or so. I bought this one about 2 1/2 yrs ago at $259.00. There are several mistakes in the building instructions but you can work around them.
Old 07-04-2002, 01:40 AM
bgi
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I've heard it's not for beginners! I've built my share of kits. I just recently succommed to ARFs. I'm currently wrapping up a GP 60 Cub, Sig SE, Sig 4-star 60, and getting started on a Top-Flite Airacobra. I decided to build the Airacobra as a first warbird. So far it's been pretty easy - just time-consuming.

Thanks for the tips about the errors.

Are you building any wash-out into the wings? I've heard that the giant corsair is prone to tip-stall.
Old 07-04-2002, 03:41 AM
WALKERS210-RCU

I have really lost count on number of kits/ scratch and arfs I have put together over last 40 yrs. I was going to put in a little wash out but I decided to build it like it called for. Probably will be the biggest mistake. Second mistake is if I try to fly it. This is a plane for my son and he has much better flying skills and eye to hand cordination. Me I am just happy to fly a circle and get it on the ground in a re usable form. I too have given in to the newer ARF's but I still go thru them after opening box and beef up and reglue points. If you want a TIME CONSUMING plane try anything from A&A industries.