Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

DuraTrax FlashPoint Infrared Temperature Gauge - how good is it?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

DuraTrax FlashPoint Infrared Temperature Gauge - how good is it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 02:35 PM
emearg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DuraTrax FlashPoint Infrared Temperature Gauge - how good is it?

Any one had experience with a 'DuraTrax FlashPoint Infrared Temperature Gauge'? How good is it.

What calibration setting should it be set to for a ZDZ 80 with a silver head?

Thanks
Eme
Old 01-18-2005, 06:56 PM
3D ONdaEDGE

Default RE: DuraTrax FlashPoint Infrared Temperature Gauge - how good is it?

Worthless. I went by the manual. No good. I tried all of the settings and no matter what the setting it always said the inside of my mouth was between 86 degrees F and 165 degrees F. I though well maybe moisture or something affects it. Tried on my DA-100. It was 50 degrees outside and the cylinders were cold because I havent run the engine yet. Said they were between 25 degrees and 82 degrees depending on the settings. It says that 12 is the setting but at 12 it said 45 degrees. Ok i might beleive that. So I ran flew the plane and landed and immediately check the temp. On setting 12 it said the cylinder was 260 degrees. Hum I could hold my hand on the engine for a couple seconds. It was hot, but not 260 degrees hot. It was more like 160 degrees. And no matter what setting it was on it showed over 200 degrees. I would save a little more money and get a laser thermo. Works better, 95% accurate and isnt affected by the angle you hold it or shadows or anything like that. Say away from the IR thermo. Just my advice.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:14 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: DuraTrax FlashPoint Infrared Temperature Gauge - how good is it?

Mine works just fine. For the price you can't beat it. You do have to be very close 1/2 inch or less to get the best reading.
But as 3D said a laser would be much better, but then again they are a lot more money. I bought mine just because I never had a hand held temp gun.