Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Seen one of these before?

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Seen one of these before?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 02:47 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seen one of these before?

I ran across this jewel recently and the more I look at it the more it grows on me. I've always lusted after a Super Connie but really didn't want the hassle of 4 engines or the fakery of a lightweight Connie with 2 fake nacelles.

This here Airspeed Ambassador (late 40's British design) has the same sorta Connie look that trips my trigger but only has 2 engines. Looks like a worthwhile project to me!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	73822_7026.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	44442  
Old 04-26-2003, 02:50 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Here's another view....dig those crazy vertical stabs, man!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	73823_7026.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	44443  
Old 04-26-2003, 05:02 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes indeed Dickeybird , Its a beautiful and unique airplane apparently built as a result of the Brabazon committees recomendations for a short haul postwar airliner.

My all time favorite airliner has to be the DH 91 Albatross. probably the most sensual airliner ever built with its twin tails, georgous cowls over the four Gypsy Majors and shark like fuselage, Man that one is worth the aggravation of doing a quad or even "fakkery" .

Shoot look at this way, generally the loss of an engine on a quad is usually less tramatic than on a twin.

John
Old 04-26-2003, 05:21 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Originally posted by JohnBuckner
My all time favorite airliner has to be the DH 91 Albatross. probably the most sensual airliner ever built with its twin tails, georgous cowls over the four Gypsy Majors and shark like fuselage, Man that one is worth the aggravation of doing a quad or even "fakkery"

Shoot look at this way, generally the loss of an engine on a quad is usually less tramatic than on a twin.
Yup, the DH 91 is a beautiful bird. I've read the Albatross construction article and gazed at the plan by Laddie Mikulasko in RCM until the pages are worn out! His was done for 4 speed 400 electrics and is a beautiful work of art.

I do my designs in CAD and am always looking for interesting plans in the .dxf format. Some time back, I ran across a free download of a scanned/vectorized copy of Laddies's Albatross plan. He does wonderful work and I hope whoever did it had his permission!

Roger that on the one engine out on a 4 engine plane scenario but as you can see from my avatar, I'm a Cox engine freak and have only designed for that power source for some time now. Even I, who have more fiddly Cox patience than anyone I know, don't even want to THINK about tuning 4 of the little bears! Now maybe when I retire........hmmmmmm.

Besides, that Ambassador is just plain funky cool!
Old 04-26-2003, 06:10 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have seen some of your work dickeybird and being aware of you Cox obsession, it is gorgeous as well as a bit courageous Now if you don,t do a small Do.X with 12 Cox .010's then you ain,t got a hair on your you know where!

John
the devils advocate
Old 04-28-2003, 11:44 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Originally posted by JohnBuckner
I have seen some of your work dickeybird and being aware of you Cox obsession, it is gorgeous as well as a bit courageous Now if you don't do a small Do.X with 12 Cox .010's then you ain't got a hair on your you know where!
Thanks John, I'm not THAT much of a mosochist! I did see Dan Walton's Spruce Goose with 8 .010's fly...it was awesome!
Old 04-29-2003, 02:51 AM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

That is a pretty bird looks like the child of a super connie and a B-25. I would love to see a model of it.