Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Which F-86... BVM or Fiber Classics?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Which F-86... BVM or Fiber Classics?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 03:02 PM
Michael Caulk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which F-86... BVM or Fiber Classics?

Near the point of commitment on which Kit to use. Am going to build a non flying Museum-Piece Korean War era F-86 for display. Will have full scale cockpit and all external detail. Have built many static small scale kits and am not really familiar with the world of large turbine jets. Research points to either the new BVM kit or the older Fiber Classics. For example the BVM appears to be a smooth skinned kit while the Fiber Classic version from the photos I have been able to grab off the web comes with rivet and panel detail? This is based only on sketchy info. Any comments pro and cons, price ease of assemble, scale accuracy would be greatly appreciated.

Mike in Ann Arbor
[email protected]

P.S. Have done some beta graphic development for a soon-to-be-release Korean War flight sim. I'll attach a sample.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	52121_7120.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	32211  
Old 02-02-2003, 03:48 PM
Rojeck
My Feedback: (22)

Default Which F-86... BVM or Fiber Classics?

If your making a non flying model for static display only, you might want to look at the Jet Hangar Hobbies F-86 as well. Also, if you want a larger model I think BVM will be releasing a larger F-86 soon. No matter which kit you choose, please update this site with pictures of your progress.

Sung
Old 02-02-2003, 05:34 PM
JET FX

Default Non Flying F86

Hi Mike, I would suggest the Fiber Classics F86 for its already amazing moulded in surface detail, and presence ( big 1/5 scale) this would save you an amazing amount of time as surly if you are after only a 'museum-piece' detail is what you require. You will find the surface detail on the F/C very similar to a large plastic kit, probably even more detail...
Its a no brainer really Mike IMHO especially as you are after a non-flying version you will have much less building 'to static ready' with the F/C F86 than you would with the BVM. That said the F/C does require close attention to systems installation and a fair amount of work to get to flight ready condition and the BVM 86 would be a very good option if intending a flying version. 'Big' difference in size as well...

Mike let me know if you are interested and I could send you some detail pics of my F/C F86 for you to see the surface detail on this model...
Old 02-03-2003, 07:52 AM
SA Jet Jock

Default Sabre

Small point to consider is the FC Sabre is of the F86-F40 block, which means it has the extension wings and slats. This only came out after the Korean war. Not sure if this is important in your project. It is to me as I have been agonising on whether to take a saw to my FC Sabre wing to bring it back to the -25 block aircraft, which had the 6-3 wing. I would also have to glue and fair in the slats of course.