Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Please Help , mysterious plane

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 10:46 AM
Andrzej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help , mysterious plane

I need some help, I got that plane for Christmas but I have no idea what is it and who makes it.
It did not come with the motor so I would like to know what size to put on it and would it do a little 3D or it's impossible?
Where should I balance it? I measured it , it has 72" wingspan and fuselage length from the end of the cowl to end of the rudder is approximately 55"
Can anybody help, please?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg13955.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	207500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31484.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	207501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56680.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	207502  
Old 12-28-2004, 11:13 AM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Please Help , mysterious plane

I'll take a guess and say that it is an Extra 230 designed by Jim Van Loo and later kitted by ACE R/C. Don't know where to balance it but there is a way to find the 25%-30% point on the wing. I'll try to describe it.

Take one wing half, add the length of the tip chord to both the front and back of the root chord. Do the same to the tip (add the root chord to both the front and back of the tip chord). This will give you four points in a rectangle shape.

Draw diagonal lines from the corners of the rectangle and they will intersect on the wing. This is the aerodynamic center of the wing (may not be the physical center).

Using the chord at this point of the wing, measure 25-30% back and that is your balance point. For example, if the chord is 10" at this point, the balance will be 2.5 - 3" rear from the leading edge at this point. A drawing would help but I don't have one- hopefully this makes sense.

Engine- this looks like a "120" size plane.

Dave Michael
Old 12-28-2004, 12:49 PM
PaulBK

my first thought was that it was a Laser, but i think dave got it spot on - the 25% Extra 230 (the numbers got me thinking Extra) kitted by ACE.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:43 PM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

If all you want is "a little 3D" then you're probably OK, but the elevator and aileron areas are definitely on the small side for 3D. This model was designed for sport/aerobatics, not 3D. If you want to fly it entirely within its design envelope, use moderate throws on elevators and ailerons--15Ëš or less. Rudder throw should be as much as can fit between the elevator cut-outs. If you want to push the 3D limits then you'll need more throw and more torque on elevators and ailerons, more expensive servos... probably not money well spent in this case (although you could use them in future models to better effect). If you want 3D, you should set your TX up for dual rates. Skip the 3D part and stick with single rates for a more foolproof setup.

As to CG, I would go straight for 30% of mean aerodynamic chord. The wing is slightly swept back, but I think you can safely take root chord + tip chord, add them up, divide by two, and use that for your MAC. Root chord maybe 15", tip maybe 9", average 12" for MAC. 30% of 12" ~ 3-5/8", which would be a good starting point. So find the part of the wing that measures 9" chord, and on that chordline go back 3-5/8" from leading edge, then run a length of tape back to wing root from that point, perpendicular to fuselage, and balance on that line.

Two cycle 1.20 would be adequate power, 1.40 would be better, 1.60 would be about as far as I'd push it. If I were buying a new engine for this model, I'd go for a SuperTigre 1.40 (G2300)--good power, reasonable cost, reliable runner.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:56 PM
Dewey2
My Feedback: (24)

to small for the ace 230 a guy has one at the field is 78 inch wing and 62 or 3 long same as my 230 it looks scratch built whats the inside look like firewall hows the landing gear mounted
Old 12-28-2004, 08:31 PM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

If I remember correctly, there were three sizes of the Jim Van Loo/Ace Extra 230: 25%, 30% and 33%. I was thinking this was the 25%.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:06 PM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

captain232 had these kits for sale on RCuniverse not to long ago. If he still has them he could probably check the plans for you.

It definately looks like the old 230 though.