Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 04:28 PM
marshall1225

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie

I am new to RC cars and just had a nitro car given to me ( still trying to find out model) and purchased a Traxxas Stampede brushless 4x4. Charged battery up that came with car and got about 10 min out of it. Going to get liPo batteries for it once i figure out which ones to purchase. The guy at the hobby shop recommended this truck over all others and said this thing will do wheelies all day. I was unable to get a wheelie out of it maybe because I was in the grass or loose dirt. Any recommendations to upgrade this would be great.</p>
Old 11-07-2012, 04:41 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: newbie

your nitro is a MT1

as for wheelies your battery is more than likely the problem. NiMh that comes stock don't put out the power it needs to wheelie easy

tips to cause wheelies put pre-load spacers in the shocks to raise up, and stiffen the suspension. Could also tape maybe a D-cell to the wheelie bar.

BTW the pede 4X4 isn't a bad truck (not the best) but its an alright truck. I kinda like my pede 4X4 that I got ST tires on and the optional center diff in
Old 11-07-2012, 04:55 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

lipos will make a big difference with your truck.

snag some skylipo brand lipos off hobbypartz.com. grab a 2s 5000mah and a 3s 5000mah. Dont run the 3s unless you get the fan for the esc and maybe add a heat sink to the motor. It will run on 3s without those, but heat can wear out parts quickly.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:42 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you use the stock charger that came with the truck? How long did it take to charge? I have a feeling that the battery isn't fully charged. The stock charger isn't really a charger but rather a power supply that pumps current through the battery. A higher quality charger will monitor the pack's voltage during the charge and stop when the pack has taken a full charge. A 2S LiPo pack will do wonders also.

Check out this article from URC; Jang did some awesome stuff with a 4x4 Stampede and his project may give you some ideas for your truck. My personal favorite is "Shape 1" with the short course tires. Awesome!
Old 11-07-2012, 10:06 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

Did you use the stock charger that came with the truck? How long did it take to charge? I have a feeling that the battery isn't fully charged. The stock charger isn't really a charger but rather a power supply that pumps current through the battery. A higher quality charger will monitor the pack's voltage during the charge and stop when the pack has taken a full charge. A 2S LiPo pack will do wonders also.

Check out this article from URC; Jang did some awesome stuff with a 4x4 Stampede and his project may give you some ideas for your truck. My personal favorite is ''Shape 1'' with the short course tires. Awesome!
actually beaing able to mod it like that is what makes the pede 4X4 a alright RC(would be a really good RC if it was a tad cheaper in my book)
I think its one of the more versatile RC's in terms of what you can do to it. Like I run mine more like a truggy (- a wing I never got around to making the mount) where as the next person can run it as a buggy, ST, etc... And in comparison to most RC's to modify, and the extent you have to do it the work is pretty minimal, and part use is pretty low too.

Also true on the charger wall chargers are complete pieces of crap. Might want to look in this thread for some recommendations where someone yesterday asked about a decent budget charger http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11289324/tm.htm as lipo chargers generally have 0 issues charging NiMh till you buy some lipo batteries