Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Waterpump reference port location?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Waterpump reference port location?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Mike SVOR
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waterpump reference port location?

Hey all,
I was reading about how some tap into the carb spacer for a reference to the waterpump diaphram.
I have always known 2 stroke outboards to have the crank case tapped.

Has anyone tapped their crank case?

My reasoning is thinking that the reference pulses from/to the water pump would disturb the carb's fuel pump signal, possibly hurting fuel flow top end.
Crank case is where it's supposed to be, but....

Thoughts???

Thanks
Old 05-06-2008, 12:09 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Waterpump reference port location?

crankcase is certainly a preferred option - transfer port will work also - but for most - it is safer to tap the isolator block since it avoids the issue of getting shavings inside the motor, buying a tap for the thread, and/or dismantling the complete motor to avoid damage from shavings.

Done right - the isolator block seems to work fine and I have not heard of any problems with fuel pump starvation issues thus far. The water pump is not pulse activated at high speeds generally (it is typically force fed by the water pickup). The requirements for the pulse pump in the carb are not great and certainly oversupplied by the current pulse port.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Mike SVOR
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Waterpump reference port location?

Thanks Matt,

I think I'm going to tap the crank. The crank gasket is new and they're usually easy to take apart without tearing the gasket, (before they're run).
I have all the taps needed.

I saw one place selling the water/fuel pump for like 30 bucks for the complete kit. But the kit used rubber tubing. I think i'll use copper for the majority of the reference tubing. But either way, it should be easy to install.