Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

F-16 Wing Glassing Question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

F-16 Wing Glassing Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 08:49 AM
tomcatman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F-16 Wing Glassing Question

I'm going to be covering the wings, stabs and rudder on this older version Y/A F-16A with 3/4 ounce glass and polyester resin. My question is...should I glass the wings before or after gluing them to the fuse? I know I have to apply some glass on top and bottom of the joint area of the wing and the fuse...would it be best to glass the wing first, then glue it to the fuse and use a couple of glass strips at the joint for strength? Or, glue the wing to the fuse first, then apply one sheet of glass over the wing and joint area? Thanks

Richie
Old 10-04-2004, 08:57 AM
Adil Nasim
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F-16 Wing Glassing Question

Richie,

It will be much easier and cleaner to glass all the stuff before hand. Afterwards, you can glue them to the fuse and just go over the seams with 1-2" wide strip of glass cloth. You can then fair the joint with some putty etc..

Adil
Old 10-04-2004, 09:00 AM
tcblr
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Richie,
I guess you could do it either way, but personally I always glass all the surfaces then sand it all smooth. After all is sanded smooth then I glue them in place and apply the glass on the wing joints and sand those areas smooth. The main difference here is I think you will find all of the parts much easier to work with when not attached to the plane but both methods would achieve the same results.

Good Luck,
Brandon
Old 10-04-2004, 12:09 PM
tomcatman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you very much guys....you both suggest exactly what I was thinking. Brandon, you're absolutely right. My biggest concern was in fact working with the parts AFTER they're glued, it would be more difficult that way. I just really wanted to avoid the extra work of sanding down the strips on the joints to flush with the glass on the wings, but hey, it's part of building it right??!! On the long run, I know it will have been worth it.

Adil, I had the pleasure of seeing you fly Tom's SM F-18 at the Big Apple Jet Rally. GREAT JOB!! Tom and I had gotten together on one or two occasions way back when we were heavily into heli's. Actually, I still am into them but i've had itchy fingures for airplanes again for quite some time now. Anyway, back to work....thanks again guys!!