Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Fail Safe

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 07:13 PM
dannyn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fail Safe

First of all, how does a fail safe know if you have lost radio signal, when it is put in between the throttle servo?
Also, I think that I am going to get the Ofna micro fail safe, is it the best one?
Thanks
Old 08-24-2008, 09:13 PM
systemlord

Default RE: Fail Safe

My brother and I use the Venom temp/failsafe/overheat failsafe is the better one, you get three different features from just one device. This Venom temp/failsafe/overheat failsafe will not work with Spektrum radio systems. If you just what/need a failsafe, then Venom or the Ofna are both great! You can find them on e-Bay easily.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:49 PM
sixshootertexan

I got the Ofna. I test it often to make sure it works and it passes the test every time. Never actually lost signal or power while driving.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:06 PM
dacaur

ORIGINAL: dannyn

First of all, how does a fail safe know if you have lost radio signal, when it is put in between the throttle servo?
When an AM/FM transmitter is on and transmitting, the RX is constantly getting a signal and passing it along to the servo, even when you arent moving anything and the servo is at "neutral", its still getting a signal to stay at 50% travel... When it loses the signal for some reason, all of the sudden the RX isn't telling the servo to do anything, the failsafe sees this, and does its thing...

The reason failsafes dont work on spektrum 2.4 radio's, is that the RX has a built in failsafe, so that when the RX stops reciving a signal from the TX, it keep sending signals to the servo, setting it at whatever position you set when you bound your radio...
Old 08-24-2008, 11:20 PM
dannyn

SO is the Ofna the best one?
Old 08-25-2008, 02:19 AM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: dannyn

SO is the Ofna the best one?
Either the Venom or the Ofna are both good, I personally would go with Venom because thats their field of expertese. Venom makes all sorts of electronics, temp sensers, failsafes and mph speed senser
Old 08-25-2008, 07:56 PM
dannyn

The one with the temp gauge also?
Old 08-27-2008, 07:58 PM
NitroVette

I like the Dynamite failsafe and it's worked flawlessly just as my OFNA failsafe has. The reason I like the Dynamite is that it's case is transparent and I can see it's two color status LEDs through my Aftershock's transparent radio box. I also have four PCM receivers that incorporate a failsafe, I never run without a failsafe after making a stupid and catastrophic mistake. My radio's battery alarm was beeping and the car went into failsafe mode. Like an idiot I disabled the radio's battery failsafe to drive a little more, sure enough about two minutes later the car ( an OFNA Pirate M1) flew by me at wide open throttle and hit a curb and then a building. Needless to say it was destroyed, but on the bright side I had a parts car. I've never run without a failsafe whether it be a throttle return spring or a solid state failsafe since.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:03 PM
dkastil

venom is the way to go it has a overheat fail safe also that you can set to what ever temp you want for 30 bucks you can save your motor ,my slipper nut got loose today and i got upto 290 max with my venom temp if i had a temp failsafe it would have cut off my moitor is fine but i could have blown it if i went any farther .
Old 08-28-2008, 02:00 AM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: dkastil

venom is the way to go it has a overheat fail safe also that you can set to what ever temp you want for 30 bucks you can save your motor ,my slipper nut got loose today and i got upto 290 max with my venom temp if i had a temp failsafe it would have cut off my moitor is fine but i could have blown it if i went any farther .
I did try the Venom Smart Temp Failsafe unit and returned it because it made for a lot of wiring to be routed everywhere and I can't stand wire clutter. If you need both a failsafe and a temp senser, then it really the way to go! Just know that the Venom Smart Temp Failsafe unit DOES NOT work with Spektrum radios because your throttle servo connects to the Venom unit and then relays it to the receiver through yet another cable.The Venom Smart Temp Failsafe unit also has radio failsafe, temperature failsafe and realtime readout of engine temp.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:12 AM
dkastil

I just have the temp after my almost oveheat today i orderd a temp fail safe off ebay 33 bucks is not much to save your motor i run large fields and if i did not have my venom that showed the min and max run temps I would never know i hit 290 because when i checked the cars temp it was never over 230 but when i clicked the min max button i was shocked ! I will never run without one agan
Old 08-28-2008, 05:25 AM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: dkastil

I just have the temp after my almost oveheat today i orderd a temp fail safe off ebay 33 bucks is not much to save your motor i run large fields and if i did not have my venom that showed the min and max run temps I would never know i hit 290 because when i checked the cars temp it was never over 230 but when i clicked the min max button i was shocked ! I will never run without one agan
I bet you many people never truely know how high their max temps have been, scary when you think about it.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:53 AM
dannyn

I bought the duratrax one beacuse it is what my hobby shop had, and I didn't want to run the car with out one for any longer.