Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

flywheel problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 03:41 AM
nunnya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flywheel problem

Aye. I'm building a FT rc10gt right now and am having flywheel problems. Ok, my engine is a ct12 top engine. When I try to rotate the flywheel counterclockwise it unscrews the clutch nut??? I'm not sure why. My setup is like this, 2 silver spacers, the brass colet, flywheel, then the clutch nut. (I didn't put the other part of the assembly on yet). I added two spacers because with only 1 the flywheel would hit the carb. Does anyone have any ideas why the flywheel isn't working?
Old 05-21-2003, 08:33 AM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

Default flywheel problem

can you get a picture?
Old 05-21-2003, 11:56 AM
Unstable

Default Re: flywheel problem

Originally posted by nunnya
I added two spacers because with only 1 the flywheel would hit the carb. Does anyone have any ideas why the flywheel isn't working?
sounds like those spacers are preventing the flywheel from gripping the shaft. take the carb off and try it without the spacers to see if this is so. if it works then you gotta go back to the drawing board to mount everything without the spacers.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:03 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default flywheel problem

I have run the same engine in an RC10GT. To eliminate the problem, you need to tighten the clutch nut more than you are currently. Other than that, there is no other easy answer.

Good luck.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:29 PM
nunnya

Default flywheel problem

So how do you suggest tightening it more? Also, I haven't put loctite on yet, should I try doing that too and see if it'll start spinning? Also, Is the flywheel supposed to be flush with the crankshaft? If so how do you thread the clutch nut on? I had my LHS cut the shaft for me, so it should we the right length....
Old 05-21-2003, 07:53 PM
i8tweety

Default flywheel problem

Step 1: Make sure the clutch nut isn't bottoming out on the crank shaft. If it is, trim the crank shaft a little.

When I tighten a flywheel, I never use a piston locking tool (the piston isn't designed to take that abuse). If you are careful, you can wrap a rag around the flywheel (enough to act as a bit of a cushion) and hold it with a pair of channel-locks (crescent wrench) when tightening the clutch nut with a deep socket.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:22 PM
nunnya

Default flywheel problem

alright so how can u tell if it's bottoming out? Just estimate if the crankshaft is at the end of the clutch nut? Tighten the clutch nut as tight as possible with loctite....well I'll try this and get back to u guys on if it works

So I8tweety u were using the same engine in ur FT rac10gt? Did it run decent after you fixed the flywheel?
Old 05-22-2003, 01:25 AM
i8tweety

Default flywheel problem

Actually, my RC10GT has an A-Main Racing chassis (the entire truck started life as a bunch of parts bags hanging on the hobby shop wall) - If you want to check it out, see my photo gallery here at RCU.

An easy way to see if the clutch nut is bottoming out is to install the clutch nut without the flywheel. Measure the distance between the base of the clutch nut and the front of the crank case. If this distance is approximately the same as the thickness of the flywheel (including collet) and the spacers, you should trim the end of the crankshaft.

The engine is a great fit for the truck - you shouldn't be looking for more power.