Community
Search
Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

MGT 8 Brushless Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 09:46 PM
bainer1290

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MGT 8 Brushless Build

Working on a new build and have a few questions that I have not been able to find answers for, hoping you folks can help me out.

I picked up a MGT 8.0 roller, actually was complete minus the engine and electronics. Wanting to turn it into a brushless basher to have some fun with.

Ordered:

-center mount diff ebay

-center diff from a Rc8

-dogbones - kyosho IS009 & MA024

To be ordered:

-Monster Mamba ESC

-Castle 1717 Motor

So the questions are:

-tires, I don't think the stock ones will survive so whats a good option for speed and jumps? I have heard Proline, Moab's, Badlands, Dirt Hawgs, Big Joe's. I need a 23mm hub size rim. Not sure what to try?

-I am looking for some alloy shock towers, I see some on ebay but not sure in the quality.

-A truck body, mine did not come with a body I assume any from a standard 1/8 Monster should fit?

Also if anyone is looking for a S50 gearbox, this one appears to be in good condition, shifts into Forward and Reverse. I am not going to use it, so its for sale or trade for parts.

Thanks!!
Old 01-08-2020, 08:07 PM
D3MON

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Tires: Big joes and the badlands are probably some of the better of those (my preferred is the Big Joes, they are very aggressive though, and i have only ran on nitro so i am unsure on ballooning ), if i remember correctly you can get the Rival 17mm wheel hexes and put them on that truck. widens the wheel and tire variety.

shock towers: the ones you are seeing on ebay are GPM ones, they aren't bad, aren't the best, but are not bad. the best would probably be New Era, Nova, or FLM, but those are long since discontinued.

Truck body: most of the ones that fit the Tmaxx 3.3 should fit, double check your width though. these trucks are wide, its usually the width that will not allow certain bodies to be installed.

am interested in that gearbox, but sadly dont have the cash at the moment.

Good luck with the build and definitely post pictures of the build!!
Old 01-09-2020, 04:35 PM
bainer1290

Great I appreciate the advice D3MON!!
Old 01-09-2020, 04:36 PM
bainer1290

I tried to attach pics but I need 10 posts lol so 7 more to go
Old 01-10-2020, 08:00 AM
D3MON

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

yeah kind of a weird requirement, but probably helps with spam etc, definitely would love to see some pictures when you get your 10 posts!!!
Old 03-13-2022, 12:43 PM
gt monster

Hi
What pinion did you go for with regards to the RC8 spur please? How did your build go?

I'm heading down the same path with my 3 MGTs

Ta,
James
Old 03-13-2022, 07:56 PM
bainer1290

Hi there,

Overall the build went really well, MGT still runs strong its a solid truck. I used a 16-19 pinion depending if you want speed or a wheelie machine. The motor mount holes I drilled out slightly so I could use larger bolts to hold them to the MGT frame. Make sure you blue Loctite every bolt on the motor/center diff mount along with the pinion lock bolt too. They vibrated loose a few times then once I used the Loctite they were good. Only problem now is the posts that hold the body on seem to be the weak point and we go through them often. I was going to try to make some out of aluminum round stock but have not got to that yet.

Good luck with the builds!!

Rob
Old 03-24-2022, 11:46 AM
Kelaris

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-28-2023, 07:06 PM
WOH

Let's see it. I have an MGT 8.0 - I need to run it.
Old 08-10-2023, 09:18 PM
normanski

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello People,

Just put a Brushless Motor into my ancient Thunder Tiger MTA-4... The photos shows a 15T pinion, but I have since changed it to a 18T with a cooling fan for the motor.

Old 08-10-2023, 11:19 PM
Vastris31

Sounds like an exciting project you've got going on! For tires, Proline Badlands and Duratrax Six-Pack are popular options for speed and jumps. Regarding alloy shock towers, it's wise to research reviews and feedback before purchasing from eBay. As for the truck body, yes, a standard 1/8 Monster truck body should fit, just ensure the wheelbase matches. Best of luck with your build, and thanks for sharing the S50 gearbox info!
Old 04-01-2024, 10:46 AM
Mikeguyver

Default Monster gt 8.0 brushless conversation.

Hi guys I just finished a build as well. I used the eBay center diff, 160amp spectrum esc motor combo, high voltage spektrum servo, 3.8 badlands non belted.(though I wish I purchased the belted. It’s an absolute beast.
Old 04-01-2024, 10:55 AM
Mikeguyver

Default 17mm hub adapters

Btw I had the toughest time getting 17mm wheel adapters. So I here’s the ones I found that fit well and gave a wider stance. INTC23102BL brand is integy and I found it at a main hobbies.
Old 04-01-2024, 12:27 PM
Mikeguyver

Default Brushless conversion mgt

I posted a short you tube video of the conversion since I can’t post anything here just yet. My you tube name is mikeguyverr