Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

C/L Industry Service

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 11:45 PM
Clavy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C/L Industry Service

Early this winter I got the chance to fly stunt for the first time in over 30 years. I have to say I enjoyed it very much, So much so that I decided to build my own. What I want is a new modern design, with a modern stunt engine. I want something different than what I flew in my early teens. I've done my research and made my choices. Obviously I've made some poor choices.

Since my stunt days I've been involved mostly in RC Pattern and most recently RC Helicopters. For the most part I've always received good servvice from whom ever I dealt with and if I had a bad experience and they continued I simply moved on did business with whom ever I could get good service. You eventually find out who is the most reliable and stick with them.

Unfortunately, to date, my experiences with controline vendors have not been very good. Poor service seems to be a norm more than an exception. Phone calls go unreturned, emails go unanswered. There are websites offering wares without a shopping cart,,call to ordered, then read above. Websites with online stores without pictures..just descriptions of merchandise,,call for more info,,read above. Websites selling merchandise that is discontinued, yet they still advertise it as "Hot new items." You find out that it is discontinued when you eventually get your order and only half of it arrives. Then you have to ask them to PAYPAL a refund. This item is still being advertised by the way. Websites that have not been updated in three years. Websites without a complete product listing. Call for more info,,read above. Companys that operate online stores that do not have order or deliver confirmation, let alone advice on the order fill. They are quick to take your money but leave alot to be desired on delivery.

I'm not going to mention any names here. As you can see I am most frustrated. My question is, "Is this normal for the controline supply folks?" Or am I doing business with the wrong people?

Clay Schmidt
Old 04-07-2006, 08:19 AM
bobsrc

Default RE: C/L Industry Service

Clay,
Sig Manufacturing Co. still has live active UC fliers on staff. Give us a try at sigmfg.com or 1-800-247-5008.
Cheers,
Bob Nelson, design engineer, combat pilot
Mike Gretz, design engineer, stunt and scale pilot
Old 04-07-2006, 08:34 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Clay,

Not to be making excuses for them but some of these are cottage industries where the owners also have real jobs in addition to supplying a service. Others are contest oriented and may be away at a contest...or in transit. Some are large enough to have people to answer the phone, I think most don't.

One picked up his phone on a Sunday morning when I called. I had expected to leave the order on his answering system. He happened to be at his shop to pick up some stuff to go flying.

Bear in mind that some are computer illiterate, or of limited knowledge, so must rely on others to maintain their web site.

Again, not excuses but possible explanations. Have patience, most are great people.

George
Old 04-07-2006, 09:18 AM
Glen Wearden

Clay, I have had a great relationship with Henry Werner at Virginia Hobbysport. He stays well stocked, and can normally mail your order the day you call it in. His prices are very competitive, and for postage, he charges exactly what it costs him, no standard postage prices. He makes every attempt to mail at the cheapest rate, unless you need a rush. His web site is www.virginiahobbysport.com and his toll free # is 866-359-8266. You do need to call your order in, but he, or his wife always answer the phone. I like being able to discuss an order and get advice before I make it. Glen
Old 04-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Clavy

Thanks for the invite Bob. I have and still do use Sig products from time to time. I do not know Mike Getz personally but I believe we have a mutal firend that lives about 7 miles from me, Jeff Perez. I believe they were on the US scale team together back in the late 70s or early eighties.

My brother Curtis just finished up an old vintage Nobler kit he acquired from one of our club members by the name of Bob Arnett. Bob won the stunt Nationals back in the late 40s. Anyway, Curt needed a spinner for is new old Nobler and Jeff let him dig around in his spinner box. Curt found just what he needed,,,an old Froom spinner in perfect condition with all the pieces. Jeff sold it to Curt for $10.00. Maybe one of these days we'll get Jeff back on the handle again. Here are a couple of pictures of Curt's Nobler. All he needs now is some vintage wheels.

Clay
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81976.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	440674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54623.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	440675  
Old 04-07-2006, 08:45 PM
Clavy

Glen, Thanks for the lead. I'll check them out.

George, I'm sure most of the c/l vendors are fine folks. It's their business acumen I have serious doubts about. It seems to me c/l modeling could and needs to benefit most from today's business technologies and practices.

I mentioned before that I am involved with R/C helicopters. If any one wants to take a look at a fine business model , take a look a www.ronlund.com. There is no modeling business or website/online store any finer than Ron's.

Clay
Old 04-10-2006, 09:55 AM
flyinryan
My Feedback: (1)

Brodak all the way man, I have had awesome service everytime!
Old 04-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Clavy

John is one of the few that answered my email within 24 hours. He then sent another email within a couple hours confirming what we had talked about earlier.

John bought Walter U's kit line, so John is going to cut a Cobra kit for me. Should have it in a week or so.

Clay