Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BVM wing 'Skidz' - position on a Bobcat?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BVM wing 'Skidz' - position on a Bobcat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 06:56 AM
marc s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BVM wing 'Skidz' - position on a Bobcat?

Guys, as I build but do not fly jets [] I wanted to ask where is the best place to position the wing tip 'skidz' on a Bobcat Comp.

I know they need to be at the tip, but is there a best place based on the wing construction and prone areas of possible landing impact?

Cheers for the help.

marcs
Old 01-10-2008, 07:20 AM
Jet Lag
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BVM wing 'Skidz' - position on a Bobcat?

Since most wing tip skids are positioned wrong,and you don't find out untill your wing grinds down,the best way I found is this.Have the model assembled and on the gear.Collapse one of the mains and note where the wing touchs.That is the pace to install the skid.Same procedure for a nose skid also.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:40 AM
squirt!

I usually put mine right where the scrape is from the first time I flew the plane...
Old 01-10-2008, 11:49 AM
RBardin
My Feedback: (27)

For planes that have a tendency to scrape a wingtip on rollout (i.e. narrow mains), I'd leave all the gear down. Sit the jet on the floor and tip it up by one wingtip. Make sure the nosewheel and one main are touching the floor. Mark the spot where the opposing wingtip touches the ground, and then use whatever method of "scrape prevention" you prefer.

For planes that don't have reliable gear, then Jet Lag's method would be best.

If you have both problems, use the classifieds...

edit - I doubt you're going to have gear issues with a Bobcat, and the gear is spaced pretty wide too, so if you're scraping wingtips on rollout you're landing a bit too fast.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:28 PM
Bob.R
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: RBardin
I doubt you're going to have gear issues with a Bobcat, and the gear is spaced pretty wide too, so if you're scraping wingtips on rollout you're landing a bit too fast.
The BobCat comp was my first jet, and I learned the hard way that if you touch down with too much speed, the plane will do the dreaded kangaroosky. Once the hopping starts, the entire wing tip is at risk of getting scraped and the skidz may not help much. For my latest bird, I made "gator skins" for the wing tips. Splash on a couple of layers of heavy tooling cloth, remove and trim to shape, then glue on with Goop. They add a bit of weight and drag, but they should provide good protection in a hopping situation. FWIW.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77825.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	847310  
Old 01-10-2008, 12:38 PM
RBardin
My Feedback: (27)

Hmm...you have point I forgot about, Bob. My KingCat does that too, if (when) I bounce it. I need your method on my Fury - or some tailwheels - or someday I'll learn how to land it better...!!

I found some softer springs for the KC mains, and it made a big difference. Try changing springs or use those struts from Todd.

Do you use crow on your BC?
Old 01-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Bob.R

RBardin, I bounced the Bcat 2 or 3 times in the first 30 or 40 flights and scraped the wingtips. Also took out flex plates and rudder servos. The plane was setup as per BVM, including crow. I found that moving the cg back about half an inch helped a bunch - seemed like I was a bit more comfortable at lower speeds in the landing pattern, and I think having less weight on the nose gear helped reduce the tendency to pitch the nose back up on contact with the pavement. FWIW. Fortunately, I haven't bounced it in a while, but it is probable that I'll do it again.

Edit: Since I managed to hijack the thread (sorry) and get on the subject of landing technique, I highly recommend that turbine newbies read a couple of articles on landing technique that were published in the JPO newsletter in Summer 06. One of those articles is on the JPO website. Helped me a bunch.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:27 PM
marc s

Do you use crow on your BC?
It's not my jet, I'm just the builder!

My concern is having something to glue the 'skidz' to, as the wings are composite I do not know if there is any material in the tip area which will allow me to glue them in well - any ideas from the BVM clan?

marc
Old 01-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Bob.R

Marc, I haven't seen a cross section of the tip, but there is a pretty solid core of some type under the glass skin at the tips of my BobCat wings. You should be able to glue the skidz just about anywhere you choose. As for the best location, I second the previous recommendation that you tip a wing down and slightly forward with the nose gear and one main on the ground. Wherever the wing tip touches the ground is where the skidz should go. As I recall, that is about a third of the way back from the leading edge at the tip. Just my recollection FWIW.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:21 AM
marc s

Cheers guys appreciate the advise.

marc