Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

nova .12 1 hp engine prob.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 05:58 AM
nitro4life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nova .12 1 hp engine prob.

hey people
juss got into this fourm and was on the micro fourm for quite some time and decided to go back to my nitro car and start running it agagin after 5 years of juss sitting in my room after this one race where i crashed broke my whole car. so now i havent started my nova .12 engine in 5 YEARS!!! and when i tried doin it it runs for like 3 sec then it stalls. and this engine was the one wit the 1 hp one that came out. i also put in a new spark plug and manifold on it but it juss wont start plez help me to get it to run for longer than 3 sec.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:13 AM
Jbbxxxnt
My Feedback: (1)

Sounds like your carbeurator needs cleaned. Did you empty the fuel before it sat?
Old 01-31-2003, 03:56 PM
nitro4life

yea i did but i didnt put any after run stuff and i didnt even clean the engine also. but i did empty the fuel before it sat. so i would have to clean the carb? well im a newbie to the negine department in rc cars cuz i have a frined who does the engine for me and i dont touch it. so how do u take out the carb off of this engine?
Old 01-31-2003, 04:27 PM
Celly013

Check nova's web site for dissambly and cleaning information. Or take it to you LHS and get them to get it in shape.

Make sure that you have a new filter on the unit too, I can only image how much dust and dirt is crusted up in that thing after 5 years.. And the pipe, make sureit's not obstructed, becuase that will also cause your engine to stall. Check fuel hoese, filters, anything that might be causing a restriction.

Also, Richen up the mixture, and treat it like a new engine, breaking it in for a few takes, and keeping the heavy fingers off the throtle for a few runs.

Also, leave the glow plug ignitor on the engine for an extra 30 seconds, while it is running, see if that helps.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:31 PM
nitro4life

Originally posted by Celly013
Make sure that you have a new filter on the unit too, I can only image how much dust and dirt is crusted up in that thing after 5 years.. And the pipe, make sureit's not obstructed, becuase that will also cause your engine to stall. Check fuel hoese, filters, anything that might be causing a restriction.

well i did clean the filter before i ran the car and i have the cvec pipe and i was wondering if maybe if it was the pipe juss sittin there for five years and i juss cleaned the inside of it last night and now im goin to try running it right now.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:47 PM
Celly013

keep us posted
Old 01-31-2003, 07:14 PM
Jbbxxxnt

Good luck. I don't know if it would work but you might try some carbeurator cleaner spray like they use on cars. I don't know if it would work though, just a thought.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:23 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some carburetor cleaners contain solvents that will damage the o-rings in the carburetor.

You should change all your fuel tubing, fuel filter, and if your fuel tank has an integrated filter, swap out the fuel tank. Castor will clog them when the fuel that was left in the system evaporated.
Old 02-01-2003, 01:28 PM
GoldenTC3

Sometimes if thre is any remnants of fuel or any type fo moisture tsome internal parts can rust
Old 02-01-2003, 04:00 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

The most likely culprit is oil..
oil tends to thicken with time and you prolly have some gooky spots of residue in there..
I would consider taking it apart and soaking it in some kind of degreasing solution
Remember whatever you do, do NOT use abrasives or sandpaper and scratch the insides of the engine or pistons in any way!

Be careful when taking the engine apart.. you have to orient parts in a certain way and you dont want to take it apart and not know how to get it together hehe
Most of all.. HAVE FUN!
Welcome back to the hobby!
-ram
Old 02-01-2003, 06:49 PM
nitro4life

yea i took it apart but i didnt see anything wrong wit it
so i juss gave it to a person i knew at my lhs
and he said he would try and do it and i told him if he can change the carb to a slide carb inmstead of the other kind of carb and i think that kind of carb was called a rotary, maybe dunno. so yea its gonna get fixed. and thanxs for all ur suggestions guys
Old 02-03-2003, 02:42 AM
dbow

Default Nitro engine

Actually you want the goop to build up in the engine, never clean it off an old engine. THat black stuff is deposits from castor and actually helps build compression.
I have seen several engines that would not even crank after the internals were wiped clean because the engine would not hold compression.

Im speaking of old, used engines of course, new engines should not need cleaning for some time, so dont take them apart.

Dbow