Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

AR9000 Blinking Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 03:02 PM
allans
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AR9000 Blinking Light

I have an AR9000 that drops the binding and goes into binding mode( Rapid flashing lights) without the binding plug being in it. The occurs upon Rx powering up with the Tx on.
When I then put the binding plug in it , the flashing again resumes and I can bind normal. The first connection with the tx after this binding process( Plug is now out) is normal and very fast.
The second attempt to connect , after both rx and Tx powered down does not work and the Rx resumes rapid flashing.
Once bond I never lost the connection with over four years of use .

This flashing business only started today .

The rx will not bind ( even when rapidly flashing ) without the bind plug in place. So I am guess even though it is flashing ( without the plug ) it is not really in bind mode.

Only the presence of the plug will cause it to bind .

Any ideas or suggestion before I send it to HH.

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:20 PM
V2PLUS10

Default RE: AR9000 Blinking Light

Sometimes a bad satellite rx or a bad connection between the main rx and the satellite rx will cause a similar problem.....are you using two satellites?
Old 06-01-2012, 03:26 PM
allans

No I am not.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:33 PM
V2PLUS10

A single satellite should be easy to trouble shoot if you happen to have a spare or one you could rob off another rx, or just changing out the satellite cable could do the trick......otherwise I'd say sending it to HH is the alternative.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:50 PM
allans

Interesting. I just went out and moved the satelite to the other port on the RX.
It is no longer flashing and it binds instantly. No rebind required.

How did you discover this and do you know why it works?
Old 06-01-2012, 04:11 PM
V2PLUS10

Well, I found out sort of the way that you did. I could bind OK, but once the power was cycled off and back on the rx would loose it's bind....but I just moved the wires to the satellite rx around and then it worked fine. I did not trust it though. Don't remember now if I replaced the entire satellite and cable or just the cable.....i do have a couple of old satellites that I've marked with a big red X....so they do fail....

If I were you I'd move the satellite wires around quite a bit and see if you just have a bad cable....those wires are real small and after a couple of years of being moved here and there they could easily break inside the insulation....I'm a firm believer in finding a definitive reason for a radio issue.....

Randy
Old 06-02-2012, 04:36 AM
allans

"Break inside the insulation" Unbeleviable , but makes sense. Especial after handling and operation in high vibration environment.
And no real efective way to test if short is intermitent.

I had no idea this could have been a problem. And if sent in for repair it may not have shown up.

The connectors are similar in design to servo connectors and they are the first place I look when I have intermitent servo problems. The are frequently the problem.

Also this kind of failure spoofed the rx into thinking it was in bind mode( althought it would not bind ).

I wonder if JR/Spectrum know this? I wonder what they would say ?

This could be a warning siuation - flashing without the bind plug in place?

Anyway think you for your answer - I never would have thought of that .

But going forward I am going to check those wires and connectors ( as best I can - broken inside the insulation is going to to tough to test for).

I think I will just keep backup wires and if it happens again I will replace and see if that's the fix.

Thanks again.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:28 AM
V2PLUS10

Just for fun you might try plugging the satellite back into it's original socket and see if the problem returns. That would indicate that something is not right in the main rx....also, sometimes those little plugs just don't seat properly. But, as you said, four years with no issues and then this...Those satellite extensions are sold separately and may be available locally....

Does your rx have the Quick Connect feature? You can test for it by turning everything on normally, insuring you have a good link,( you will need at least one servo plugged in) then briefly switch only the rx off, and back on again, just click-click. You are simulating a "brown out". It should link up again immediately and you should get a rapid flash of all the internal rx leds. If it take 4 or 5 seconds for it to link up again then you probably do not have the Quick Connect feature. It is an update for older receivers but I don't remember when all the new receivers were being shipped with the update. If you are not in a rush it might be worth sending it in anyway and then you will get all the current firmware installed as part of the service...and some peace of mind...

Randy
Old 06-02-2012, 04:50 PM
BarracudaHockey

Received 382 Likes on 308 Posts

Reseating connectors was a common way to fix high tech electronics in multi milliion dollar planes, it works just dandy in RC sometimes too

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if just unplugging and plugging it back in fixed it. Those remote cables are somewhat sketchy sometimes anyways, they are a bit fragile and I've had a couple go bad, one exhibited the symptoms you described.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:48 PM
allans

The problem is gone and I cannot recreate it.
The remote module is back in its original port and is working fine .
The idea of just a disconnect and reconnect seems to have done it.

But then again maybe not - maybe I just jiggled a wire with an internal short or something is loose in the connectors.

In net the enitire rx works correctly no matter what port the remote is plugged into. As barracua hockey suggested.

Now I wonder if it was just the plugging and unplugging or do I have a break (intermitent ) in the connnectors or the wires.

Will using two remotes in a 9 channel rx help ? would it reduce the liklyhood of anyhting such as this happen again? If one remote does not connect correctly will the entire RX combo still function?

Ok here is what I am goign to do - anybody with a thought pls don;t hold back .

I am going to replace the wires with new ones , this should eliminate wires as problem. I am also going to make sure the wires to the remotes are loose and free to move so they don't have to absorb the vibrations internally.

I am going to use 2 remotes ( all new 9 ch rxs ) are being shipped with two remotes.

If this occurs again I going to switch the connectors the remotes are connected to and see what happens . ( as per barracudahockey)

If that does not work it all goes back HH.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:02 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: allans

The problem is gone and I cannot recreate it.
The remote module is back in its original port and is working fine .
The idea of just a disconnect and reconnect seems to have done it.

But then again maybe not - maybe I just jiggled a wire with an internal short or something is loose in the connectors.

In net the enitire rx works correctly no matter what port the remote is plugged into. As barracua hockey suggested.

Now I wonder if it was just the plugging and unplugging or do I have a break (intermitent ) in the connnectors or the wires.

Will using two remotes in a 9 channel rx help ? would it reduce the liklyhood of anyhting such as this happen again? If one remote does not connect correctly will the entire RX combo still function?

Ok here is what I am goign to do - anybody with a thought pls don;t hold back .

I am going to replace the wires with new ones , this should eliminate wires as problem. I am also going to make sure the wires to the remotes are loose and free to move so they don't have to absorb the vibrations internally.

I am going to use 2 remotes ( all new 9 ch rxs ) are being shipped with two remotes.

If this occurs again I going to switch the connectors the remotes are connected to and see what happens . ( as per barracudahockey)

If that does not work it all goes back HH.
More than one Remote will give you Antenna Diversity. You will be less likely to have the signal blocked to all antennas at the same time.

If one or both Remote Receivers fail in flight, the Main Rx will still function so you can land safely. You just won't be able to Link with the Tx or Bind until the Remote problem is resolved.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:34 PM
chuckk2

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A possible explanation is crud on the pins!
First, there is not a lot of pressure between the male and female pins.
Next, the pin "mate" is not airtight.
Finally, it's not too uncommon to have such things as silicon contaminants migrate via microscopic fissures in the pin surface and plating (if any).
The silicon can be a freebee in the pin base metal.
Then you add time (4 years?) to the whole thing.

If there is any lesson, it might be to clean and re-mate the connectors once in a while.

I got into this sort of silliness decades ago with pins, connectors, and even miniature switches that were required to have no more than a few Milli-ohms resistance.
Just try to design and build factory production line testers that can maintain Milli-ohm measurement accuracy for long periods of time, be simple and quick to use, and foolproof.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:45 PM
V2PLUS10

Replacing the wires sounds like a reasonable fix. As mentioned there might just have been a bit of corrosion or something else that was preventing a good electrical contact. Adding the second satellite would be additional insurance. I have not tried it but I am told and it makes sense that a DSMX satellite will not work with a DSM2 receiver like the AR9000, so just be sure you order the correct satellite rx.

I guess when all is said and done, you have to ask yourself if you are comfortable flying your model with this receiver.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:05 AM
allans

Clean the contacts on a regular basis , at the annual tear done and prep for flying season at least.
Replace the wires regularly.
Connect and reconnect upon reoccurence of the this prob .
Use multiple remotes.

Have I missed any ?

Also the main Rx will continue to work with a failed remote .
How about an unbound remote? Degraded mode?

I have a DSM2 rx ( main) which remote ( besides DSM2) will work with it?
Old 06-04-2012, 08:28 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 382 Likes on 308 Posts

ORIGINAL: allans

Clean the contacts on a regular basis , at the annual tear done and prep for flying season at least.
Replace the wires regularly.
Connect and reconnect upon reoccurence of the this prob .
Use multiple remotes.

Have I missed any ?

Also the main Rx will continue to work with a failed remote .
How about an unbound remote? Degraded mode?

I have a DSM2 rx ( main) which remote ( besides DSM2) will work with it?
If the remote isnt bound the system won't link at startup. They really dont become "unbound" unless there's another issue but the answer is, a long as the rf section in either the remote or main reciever is working you will have full control.

DSM2 mains work with DSM2 remotes. Thats it.