Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Hummingboard and Tail Rotor

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Hummingboard and Tail Rotor

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 08:51 PM
tomflier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hummingboard and Tail Rotor

I recieved my hummingbird today and when I throttle up the tail rotor is reversed. I have reversed in the radio and on the Hummingboard and when I move the Rudder at hover speed the Main Rotor speed drops so much it won't hover.

How do I fix this
Old 04-23-2003, 09:03 PM
kenru

Flip the plug from the tail motor where it plugs into the mixer board?
Old 04-23-2003, 09:09 PM
tomflier

Default Flip the plug from the tail motor where it plugs into the mixer board

I just did this and now it acts like the throttle is plugged in to the tail and the tail is in the main rotor.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:12 PM
tomflier

Default ALSO

I have a Futaba T6XH if that helps
Old 04-23-2003, 09:56 PM
tomflier

Default Not sure how but now it is hovering but

Now when I am in a hover the Tail seems very slow to response.

How do i fix this

PS the hover is very smooth
Old 04-25-2003, 02:15 AM
ziomatrixacs

Default help me 2 lol

hey i just regested to this site i hope of getting help with my humming bird i got a jr quattro radio for it and a century gyro but every time i get off the ground the heli spins clock wise i have to put all the trim and stick to the left to make it stop thanks a ton in advance
Old 05-04-2003, 03:56 AM
bobforapples84

Make sure when you turn on the heli everything on the transmitter is zerod
Old 05-04-2003, 12:32 PM
Dodgey99

I second that. Make sure you zero (centre) your rudder on your TX (remove any trim) before you power on the heli. Else it will be out. I have to do this each time I play.

Spinning wildly? try turning your gyro upside down...
Old 05-04-2003, 12:38 PM
ziomatrixacs

humm i kinda tryd that BUT my radio has them cheap trims that are not digital so i cant realy find the exact center i just put it as close as possiable
Old 05-04-2003, 12:45 PM
ziomatrixacs

hey it could be ether when i crashed it the gyro broke or when i had to resolider the tail motor wires to the tail motor i put to much and now to much electirc goes to the tail but thats all i can think of except for the trims to
Old 05-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Dodgey99

OK, the amount of solder on the tail motor will definately NOT affect how much power goes to it. That's not how it works. If the motor spins at all you have done fine.

I would say this. Unplug everything and start the wiring process again. Leave out the Gyro until you are happy with everything else.

Test each connection at a time. i.e. make sure the throttle turns the main rotor (leave the tail disconnected) etc etc.

Make sure that right rudder makes the tail blow air to the right (viewed from behind).

Then add the gyro. Grab the tail and jerk it to the right, the tail should spin up and blow air to the right (to counter the jerk). If it does nothing, turn up the gain on the Gyro.

Once you are happy with that lot, if it still does not fly then you may have a problem with your mixing board or a motor.

My main motor failed the other day, but before it did it ran at about 70% power. This would not cause spinning, but it shows that a motor can fail gradually.

The mechanical trimming is not an issue. You get trim problems when they are way - out. A small amount won't matter.

Take your time and eliminate each component, step by step.

Good lick!
Old 05-04-2003, 02:28 PM
ziomatrixacs

hey thanks ill try that the help here is way much better then on century they got attitude problems they would nt evn tell me how to remove the small pin in the rotor head >=( o yeah i notced the tail support strut is the same thick ness as a fly bar but it a lil longer if i use this as the flybar would it change my cylic response i asked century this to they gave me no help at all just a bunch of bull :boxing:
Old 05-04-2003, 02:45 PM
Dodgey99

You are more than welcome!
Old 05-04-2003, 04:45 PM
ziomatrixacs

hummm wonder if i slitly put the tail rotor in an angel so it blows towards the blades and makes more torque like i need
Old 05-05-2003, 08:13 AM
Dodgey99

For it to fly stably the tail rotor MUST blow at a clean 90 degrees from the tail
Old 05-05-2003, 09:47 AM
ziomatrixacs

wait is that 90 from the ground or the main ro9tor cauze the heli has uneven legs so i got the longer one on the same side as the aileron servo
Old 05-05-2003, 06:17 PM
Dodgey99

90 degrees to the rest of the heli / main body. Imaging she's in the air if you like, then 90 Degrees. Ignore the leg difference, it's just there to aid take-off on such a small heli. So set-up right, when the heli is on the ground the fan will blow down a bit because the heli is listing due to the short side.

Or more simply, perfectly sideways, not up, down, left or right. It should blow sideways with the heli in the air.

Roger
Old 05-05-2003, 08:18 PM
ziomatrixacs

hey i think i found out why it spins now !!! ok its probably because the leg differce because when i get the HB up about 2 ft off the ground it turns with my stick imput in other words in the ground i try to use rudder stick to the far left to react to the clocke wise spining motion then when i get it air borne it spins clock wise because i gave it left rudder im not sure f this is what is wrong but i do have an other set on landing gear so ill put 2 long legs and some home made training gear on and if it spins less ,i prettey much fixxed it again thanks alot
Old 05-05-2003, 08:48 PM
Dodgey99

Glad to hear it! Are you taking off from a hard or carpet floor? Carpet is much easier in my opinion as you don't get confused by the ground effect. Most Gyros suffer when they are on the ground.

Go for it. You can fly!
Old 05-05-2003, 08:49 PM
Dodgey99

p.s. I found, wiht such small helis, that training gear makes them very diffucult to fly....
Old 05-05-2003, 09:15 PM
ziomatrixacs

i taking off from my drive way its real nice out side but to windy i tryed my HB before w/o training gear and it was a lil ezer to get off the ground cause the weight but right now im using 4 carbon rods (and yes it is semi balenced) joind with a light weight peice of plastic its just not in an angle to help with hard landings lol
Old 05-06-2003, 08:51 AM
Dodgey99

Ditch the grar, ditch the gear! It sounds like you don't need them any more

Even though they may be balanced it is still easier with out. I also learned on my larger Eco 8 that training gear, if kept on for too long teach you bad habits, like lazy take off and landings.

You can do it
Old 05-06-2003, 02:42 PM
Cavegunner

I agree I was told that once you could even come close to a hover, not even a good one to take off my training gear. I was really scared to do that, but boy when I took off the training gear I could fly it so much better. The problem is, is that the rotor wash will hit the training gear and make it wobble in flight alot more. More so if you leave the ping pong balls on. Also like the earlier post said it will teach you bad habbits. It really sounds wierd but I never flew one of these before and after the second battery I took the training gear off and boy I really suprised my self at the difference it made. Just my two cents. Take care and Have fun Hovering!
Scott
Old 05-06-2003, 05:50 PM
ziomatrixacs

to day is a good day 4 flying i estimate around 1-3 mph winds so ill try to get it in the air and hover