Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New Rustler Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 07:37 PM
deeje

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rustler Issues

I bought a rustler vxl a month or 2 ago and recently upgraded to a mamba max pro esc and a lrp vector x12 4.5 turn motor. Im running a 2s battery with 25/83 gearing and the motor gets very hot within about 10 minutes and the wires coming off the esc also. Also when i drive if i give it full throttle it wont go it stutters and goes stutters and goes. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:56 PM
kahnen

Default RE: New Rustler Issues

That is to much motor for off road use and to high of gearing for that motor. Stay under 5000 kv. Probably 18t-20t pinion and 86t-90t spur, the more lower the kv of the motor used you could increase the gear ratio more.

It is stuttering like that because of the huge amp draw you are pulling and your battery is unable to handle it. Continued using that motor or that gearing or that battery will puff that battery from the excessive amp load.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:01 PM
deeje

That's what i thought but that's what the guys at the shop told me to use... So i'm trying to make the best of it. Any suggestions?
Old 03-10-2012, 08:37 PM
kahnen

Try 12t pinion 90t spur. You'll need the smallest pinion and largest spur you can fit, it'll still run hot but might get more than 10mins and might save your battery. Good luck
Old 03-11-2012, 02:46 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

what is the C-rating on the battery, and the mAh rating?

also I'd say 4000kv,and lower for offroad. 5000+kv is meant for on road use only.
That stuttering is probably due to it being improperly geared honestly for that KV I don't think you could properly gear it.
just looked the motor up sheesh its 7900 kv [:@]
Old 03-11-2012, 04:10 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Try your vxl motor with the castle esc, should be a good combo
Old 03-11-2012, 04:15 PM
deeje

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

what is the C-rating on the battery, and the mAh rating?

also I'd say 4000kv,and lower for offroad. 5000+kv is meant for on road use only.
That stuttering is probably due to it being improperly geared honestly for that KV I don't think you could properly gear it.
just looked the motor up sheesh its 7900 kv [:@]
It's a 30c 5000 mah battery. Apparently the shop screwed me because i called up originally wanting a castle 1410 3800 and they told me they didn't have one but had this one. They said it was almost as good just a little less torque.. Apparently i was had. And the orignal motor i sold so this is my only option. The only way to keep it from stuttering is to loosen the slipper clutch but then i can smell it burning... I don't know what to do.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:21 AM
silvermansteve
My Feedback: (2)

i would march back to the store, and find the guy you relied on. put the car on the counter and tell him to make it work. if he can't, he should swap out the high kv motor for an appropriate one, like the one YOU proposed, for no charge. based on your post, it's a shame that you, who is new to this, got it right and was overruled by someone who should know better and steered wrong. if this exchange does not work (i'd try really hard at the shop), you could look for an appropriate motor at the hobby king site, to save money. on the other hand, i suppose a castle sidewinder motor is not too expensive anymore....
Old 03-12-2012, 02:11 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take it back like silvermansteve said....
Old 03-12-2012, 09:02 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Try 12/90 gearing and go from there. It may work ok with 12/90 even though that is an extremely high KV motor. I have a 5800kv novak motor that works decent off road in my t4.1, but too much gearing and it cogs. The VXl system is hard to beat in a rustler/stamped/2w slash to be honest.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:34 AM
deeje

Well i went ahead and bought a castle creation 1406 4600kv to go with my mmp esc. So hopefully it'll work a lot better. Anyone wanna buy a vector x12? haha
Old 03-13-2012, 04:24 AM
silvermansteve
My Feedback: (2)

i'm guessing this is a step above a sidewinder. good for you! you should like this now, i bet.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:01 PM
deeje

well its the same motor im just using a mmp esc.