Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

The Craziness Continues

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 05:13 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Craziness Continues

So here is my weekend with respect to "the hobby", andit all revolves around pull-starts.

<span style="color: #ff0000">NOTE</span>:Much of this is chronicledon my YouTube channelwhichI will have uploaded later tonight. See "Installing New Engine on Hyper 7".
<u>Saturday
</u>7:45 am<u>
</u>
1. I complete the rebuild on my Exceed Forza (test drive it around the house - everything is perfect) and then take it out some place where I canopen him up WOT and get some cool video.
2. As I'm starting it at our spot, I noticed it's a little tight pulling the rope, so I pull a little harder, and it starts! YAY!
3. However, I stood there with "failed smile" as I held the effing pull-start in my hand (yes it broke). First pull-start I've ever broken.
<u>
</u>8:30 am
1. No worries - I am Macgyver - I can fix it. I spend TWO hours "re-doing" the pull-start (creating a new knot on and re-coiling). I've put together THREE pull starts - but this is the first broken rope - and what I've learned is each one is a little different. Ugh!
2. I finally get it all back together - start it up -and YAY, it starts right up!!
3. See #3 above.Lesson learned - knots don'twork. A new pull-start is on its way.

<u>Sunday
</u>11:45 am
1.We take 'Bad Boy', our Hyper 7. out for a little post-rain ride. I have a HORRIFIC accident with a curb (see here) - it was much worse than it looks on film.
2. I noticed other than knocking out some screws on the engine mount plate, the only problem was that the pull start would not recoil.

12:16 pm
1. We take the Hyper 7 home, begine to take off the pull-start, and it suddenly recoils!
2. I test pulling it a few times - everything looks great.

12:29 pm
1. We're back, baby! Ran himgoing through about two tanks. No bashing, just some on-road fun (a few small jumps off curbs).

1:42 pm
1. Get home and prep the car for its ritual post-ride cleansing (I am a freak about keeping the cars clean).
2. I notice the pull-start rope is not recoiling again.....hmmm.....
3. Then it pulled completely out. AWESOME!!
4.I took apart the pull-startand my hypothesis is: eitherthe re-coil spring being loose (layered) it must have cut the rope, orsomehow the rope got heated anburned off.

I love this hobby,and after only threemonths into it, I've become a battled-hardened SOB.Wow!
</p>
Old 03-12-2012, 02:02 AM
Clmbngfrk18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Craziness Continues

Sounds like it may be time to invest in a roto start or bump box. Pull starts just dont like you
Old 03-12-2012, 02:07 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I re-wond one of mine with 200pound fishing line... worked a treat
Old 03-12-2012, 07:25 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

I re-wond one of mine with 200pound fishing line... worked a treat
I have done that before as well. make sure you use braided line and not monofilament.

To the OP: since you keep on going through pull starts try loosening the glow plug before starting the engine. this will lower the compresion and relieve some of the stress from the pull start. Once the engine starts just tighten the plug back up and you are good to go. As an engine continues to break in this will no longer be nessasary but some engines are very tight when new and you may have to continue to loosen the plug untill you have run a gallon or even more thru it. I had a LRP .28 and even with 2 gallons on it it was still so tight it would lock up the motor on my starter box.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:43 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Yep, whenever I break a pull start I replace the line with 100lb test braided fishing line. NEVER breaks after that.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:53 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

My recoil springs always break before my strings do. Id say the fishing line does work well though... I like pull starts better than roto starts myself. I feel like roto starts are really hard on the one way bearings. Bump box's are ok, but more hassle than i like to fool with for bashing.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:04 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In my personal experience, BY FAR the most reliable means of starting an engine besides a bump-box is a Losi Spin-start. Mine is five years old, and for the last 2-3 years has done service on two LST2's.. Absolutely flawless.

HPI Rotostart and ALL pullstarts were always a total PIA for me.. Slipping OWB's mostly.. For some reason that just doesn't happen much with the Losi system.. I personally don't think pullstarts are really designed for big blocks. I cannot imagine one lasting without issues for more than 2-3 gallons on a big block .28 or bigger... I know how to be careful too - not too far, not too hard, loosen the glow-plug, etc... Even when they do work, especially when it's cold, it can be a massive PIA getting that first start...

BTW, last year I picked up a huge used buggy race-setup lot, including a Mugen pit-bag. This thing has been a god-send. Start-box on one side, tools and fuel and radio, etc.. on the other. Absolutely great thing to have. For buggy IMHO you simply need a starterbox. If you can manage lipos you can at least cut down on the weight I think.. I'm still luggging mine around with two stick packs... Lot easier with the Mugen bag though.. Car in one hand, pit bag in the other with everything you need - sorted..
Old 03-12-2012, 10:27 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

The Traxxas EZ starts are not bad either, I've seen those things last 10 years. HPI's rotostart is a piece of **** in my opinion. I have had nothing but problems with those things. The only rotostart system I can stand is the TigerDrive, and you still need a fast drill for it to work right.

Personally, I'm a fan of the pull start. I used bump boxes when I raced buggies and touring cars, but now I just want to throw a glow warmer on the thing and fire it up.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:04 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Herrsavage, you mush have been lucky with your Losi Spinstart or I have be really unlucky with mine. I have had 3 Mach 427's and all of them needed the OWB replaced at some point. I actually have one in the package sitting on my work bench the I need to replace right now!
Old 03-12-2012, 02:27 PM
JohnP2

It's funny, as after probably 200+ pulls, I break TWO in the same day - had never broken one before. Of course, the one on the OFNA was very odd. Fishing line, eh? I love that idea - and I have plenty of it. I might just try that if it ever happens again.

I'm also amazed at how expensive pull-starts are (distributors must know how much fun they are to fix). ;-)

While I do like pull-starts (just seems more 'manly'), I know a guy who as a Losi Ten-T with that R.O.S.S on it....and <u>WOW</u> that thing is slick. He told me it's worked like a champ.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:06 PM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

In my personal experience, BY FAR the most reliable means of starting an engine besides a bump-box is a Losi Spin-start. Mine is five years old, and for the last 2-3 years has done service on two LST2's.. Absolutely flawless.

HPI Rotostart and ALL pullstarts were always a total PIA for me.. Slipping OWB's mostly.. For some reason that just doesn't happen much with the Losi system.. I personally don't think pullstarts are really designed for big blocks. I cannot imagine one lasting without issues for more than 2-3 gallons on a big block .28 or bigger... I know how to be careful too - not too far, not too hard, loosen the glow-plug, etc... Even when they do work, especially when it's cold, it can be a massive PIA getting that first start...

BTW, last year I picked up a huge used buggy race-setup lot, including a Mugen pit-bag. This thing has been a god-send. Start-box on one side, tools and fuel and radio, etc.. on the other. Absolutely great thing to have. For buggy IMHO you simply need a starterbox. If you can manage lipos you can at least cut down on the weight I think.. I'm still luggging mine around with two stick packs... Lot easier with the Mugen bag though.. Car in one hand, pit bag in the other with everything you need - sorted..
I have also had good luck with all my spin start engines. That goes for my Losi 427 and my 3 Associated engines with the spin start. I dont think the spin start beats the one way bearing like a roto start does...

Regardless, I usually have good luck with pull starts. My Axial .28 has 10 gallons on it now. It has the original pull start as well. I have fixed the string once or twice and the spring once, but it still works great. I have a new Axial pull start in a bag waiting, but the couple of times I have had trouble I find myself fixing it instead of replacing it. The one way bearing slips some finally (its original as well), but it still isnt too hard to start. I had a starter box and a bag to carry it in and all that stuff. I just didnt care for it for what I do. If i was racing maybe, but not for just messing around. In one way i wish I had kept my box, but only so I could run a bump engine if i happened to buy one, and not because I found it more convenient.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:56 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: yakfish

Herrsavage, you mush have been lucky with your Losi Spinstart or I have be really unlucky with mine. I have had 3 Mach 427's and all of them needed the OWB replaced at some point. I actually have one in the package sitting on my work bench the I need to replace right now!

Hmm.. Something weird there. I actually have had the SS that came with my 2nd LST2 as a backup sitting in a drawer for over three years now, and have never even used it.. Still wrapped in plastic.

Anyway, you're having OWB problems, is it? What fuel do you run? I don't know if it makes a difference, but on pretty much all my engines I have sealed the backplates, and in the process sprayed EVERYTHING in the whole pullstart assembly down with brake cleaner.. I kind of doubt all this sealing, etc.. is really even necessary anymore, but I do it.. Well, not with my new 454.. The 454 btw has been hard to turn without loosening the plug for the first half gallon or so.. You can feel it in your wrist with the Spin-start if you're not prepared... I remember reading about guys practically spraining their wrists with them...

ps That reminds me actually.. I did have a OWB crack in half on a start on me a few engines ago.. I think it still worked afterwards, kind of.. But I hadn't loosened the plug on a newish engine, and CRACK!!.. Half the OWB flew over my head.. So yeah, the SS is strong-ish.. Never really had slippage issues though. Nothing like with HPI Rotostarts or pullstarts.. And this is with the original orange Mach, two silver Machs, one or two Sportwerks 26's, an LRP Spec 3, a Dynamite Big Red 28, and a Losi 454..(so far)
Old 03-13-2012, 12:47 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good thing about fishing line is its thiner & u can make the pull cord longer & less likely to max out and brake... i made mine over 12" compared to the 6-8" stock...oh and it doesent soak up the nitro fuel & oil
Old 03-13-2012, 04:19 AM
cummins driver

Just be careful about making it too long. You'll break the spring instead. The farther it pulls out, the harder it is on the spring.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:29 PM
The_Shark

just so you know, you can get traxxas recoil cord for like $1.25 so far so good with my picco!

as long as you take your time pulling it from the engine, and keeping the wheel from coming out you will be ok, if that wheel comes out 9/10 the clock spring will go all scary on you and turn into a ball of razor sharp yarn in a blink.

(this happened to me when i was little, just about jumped out of my skin!)