Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What to review?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 06:17 PM
thehuntingterminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to review?

I am a writer for an online RC website and I review products for the site. My budget is preferably under $50, so what are some suggestions on products I can review? It should be something like a servo, ESC, motor, battery (lipo or NIMH), rx/tx combo, tires/rims, or maybe even a small, cheap vehicle. These items should preferably be from budget stores like hobbypartz of hobbyking. Thanks for suggestions, I will be sure to let you all know what I get.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:14 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: What to review?

Why not buy maybe 3 different metal gear, high torque servo's from hobbypartz( maybe EXI, T-Pro, and Solar). All different brands with similar specs, and compare how they center, noise, speed, and build materials/overall quality. It could make for a good, interesting write up...
Old 03-14-2012, 06:32 AM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Why not buy maybe 3 different metal gear, high torque servo's from hobbypartz( maybe EXI, T-Pro, and Solar). All different brands with similar specs, and compare how they center, noise, speed, and build materials/overall quality. It could make for a good, interesting write up...
ok, sounds like a good idea. thanks for input. any tires you would like to see reviewed or anything else? i mean it can be from any store really.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:38 PM
gPlayer234

I just got some ProLine Road Rage II tires for my Pede.  The onroad traction is insane.  They run around $40 (probably $50 with rims).  You could do a review on them and compare them to other similar treads or stock Traxxas tires.

You could do a review on wheelie bars other than the stock Traxxas one.  I've seen a few different ones in different styles (one wheel, two wheels, longer, shorter).  Everyone loves a good long wheelie!  At least I do....You can also get rubber wheels for the stock Traxxas wheelie bar that is supposed to hold wheelies longer and have better control and stability while doing a wheelie, maybe do a review on a few different wheelie bar options and explain the advantages/disadvantages of each.  I've broken two stock Traxxas bars while bashing, theres gotta be something better.

Before I went to brushless I used to use a Dynamite Tazer 15t ESC.  I burned up a couple of them from water shortages, but my LHS had them for $25 so it wasn't too big of an issue.  I know alot of the cheaper Tamiya kits don't include an ESC or have high turn limit ESC's (20t+).  The Tazer is a cheap option to "upgrade" those kits for the beginner RC enthusiast for very cheap, and when I had it it always held up very well until I got it wet.  I think it would be cool to try to fry the ESC by pushing it beyond its recommended limits and see if it holds up.  Maybe use an 8-cell nimh with a 12t motor or something like that, see if it's capable of withstanding it (otherwise theres not much to review, simply plug in and drive).

I had a much better, well thought out reply to this question but this darn forum froze on me....what's up with that?  THis site really seems to be going downhill as far as maintenance goes.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:39 PM
thehuntingterminator

well, i went ahead and ordered some stuff to review. after i review it, i will probably put the motor and ESC in my Bandit, and the servo in my Rustler. i will be sure to link the review to here so you all can read it. here's what i ordered:
Shopping Cart
Item Unit Price Qty. Cost
60G EXI Digital Coreless Servo-D226F w/ Metal Gear $14.70 1 $14.70
Hobby-Wing 9T/SL-3650M Brushless Motor w/ 4300 KV for 1/10 On-Road RC Cars $26.75 1 $26.75
eZRun-25A-H Brushless ESC for 1/10 Car (Version 2) $26.47 1 $26.47
Subtotal: $67.92
Shipping: $0.00
Tax: $0.00
Total: $67.92
Old 03-14-2012, 05:49 PM
gPlayer234

Wow, that's a cheap brushless motor, I'll be curious to see what you think of it.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:55 PM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: Kevin Ham

Wow, that's a cheap brushless motor, I'll be curious to see what you think of it.
well, there are already some respectable reviews out there for it, but i wanted to try it for myself and compare it to my VXL motor. it should be paired with a 35a ESC, not a 25a one like i ordered. i did that on purpose though, so i can really push that ESC to the limit and see what it has. the 35a ESCs by HW are suppose to be very capable, so i expect similar from the 25a model. i bought the servo more for myself, but i will also do a review on it. i have no idea if it will be any good or not, but i guess i'll find out in about a week, lol.