Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Seagull Edge 540. Negative incidence.

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull Edge 540. Negative incidence.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 04:58 AM
tahustvedt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seagull Edge 540. Negative incidence.

I have a brand new Edge 540, and the incidence of the wing and horizontal stab is negative. The wing points downwards so the leading edge is closer to the botton of the fuselage than the trailing edge. I compared pictures in a long Seagull Edge thread here and the wing cutout on the ones posted early in that thread are obviously different than mine. I attached a picture of mine in the same orientation as the picture posted in this thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=414922 and the difference in the wing cutout incidence is obvious when you compare them. This is the stock cutout, I have not changed it at all. Both stabs and wing have different incidences. The vertical stab rests on top of the horizontal stab so it's leaning a little more forward on mine as well. It still flies great though, and I'm enjoying the model. However, at medium to low speed the tail looks a little low.

I contacted the shop where I bought it and they insisted that I had assembled it incorrectly, but that's impossible as it was assembled by Seagull.

Here's a video of mine flying: http://www.enrarot.net/videos/edge540/edge06.zip
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99053.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	286239  
Old 06-17-2005, 11:35 AM
P-40LUVR

Default RE: Seagull Edge 540. Negative incidence.

I also have that plane and mine flys tail low also.
I really like the way the plane looks and it flys OK too.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:27 PM
willia25

I have had two of these, and the negative wing incidence is not a mistake-- it is designed that way. Great flyer, and landings are harrier like--mmmm, the best landing plane I have ever had. I use an OS 61 and it is plenty of power.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:47 PM
tahustvedt

I agree, it flies well.

Maybe not a mistake as such, but it's a weird way to construct a plane in my opinion. I wonder why they changed the incidence. Anyone know? They changed a lot of other things as well. Tail servo locations, servo trays. Also, aileron trailing edges align with the wing trailing edge now and the cowling seems to be closer to the wind leading edge on the old ones as well (maybe the old version was tail heavy).
Old 06-17-2005, 06:01 PM
Sturtz
My Feedback: (20)

I have the Seagull Extra 300S . It too has the same wing to tail incidence. Flys great and lands fast. Just like any other Extra.
OS .61 . 13x4-W APC prop.