Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Is it Possible? (Weight Question)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 08:55 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it Possible? (Weight Question)

Currently, my Savage 21 has the three piece Maximizer beadlock wheels, steel spur gear, hardened steel clutchbell, and a few other heavy-duty this-and-thats. The Maximizer wheels weigh around 3 times as much as stock wheels, and the steel spur and hardened clutchbell obviously weigh a lot more than stock. So, if I change to stock wheels, a 15 tooth racing clutchbell, and a 49 tooth plastic spur gear, can I pick up some significant performance? From a physics standpoint, less weight means less rotational mass which means it takes less effort for the engine to ultimately turn the wheels. But, if there isn't enough weight on the wheels (where those heavy beadlocks come in), then the tires could just spin under severe load, like when full throttle is instantly applied, rather than grip the surface they are on. And before anyone asks, I got the truck used with the beadlocks and steel spur gear. Also, to anyone who is pro-beadlocks and suggests I keep them, keep in mind I need new tires about once a year, and by then, I'd rather just replace the wheels with new wheels. I also don't change tires often, and if I did, it would be more convienient to have spare sets of tires already mounted on wheels rather than unscrew then rescrew 32 cap screws. Also, for reference, the Savage has a Dynamite Mach .26 engine, stock clutch shoes, and a Truckzilla .46 one inch extended chassis.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:35 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Is it Possible? (Weight Question)

Yep you are correct, as rotating weight is a big HP eater. If nothing else get lighter wheels. You will probably think you put a bigger engine in when done.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:13 PM
calfboy

I'll take your wheels if you want to get rid of them
Old 12-09-2006, 11:36 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

Well, I filed away at the chassis for about an hour and a half, and I managed to make a 49T plastic spur gear fit (it meshes correctly). I also got [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGFN1&P=7]HPI Q6 chrome wheels[/link] today, and glued/mounted them, so I'm going to see if the truck has more get-up-and-go to it, once it stops raining. [&o][:'(]
Old 12-10-2006, 01:25 AM
azzman

FYI:
Stock SS 4.6 Wheels 62 grams, Maximiser X-75 115 grams...So about double the weight.

GT2 Tire 255 grams, Dirt Bonz 147 grams.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:54 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Though the heavier wheels will eat your acceleration times and add to the overall weight, they do have an advantage in what most of use do: jumping. The heavier wheel exhibit a higher moment of intertia and greatly help in pithching the nose of the Savage up and down in mid-flight. A lighter Savage wheel set with lower moment of inertia will have to turn faster and/or longer to pitch the nose where a heavier wheel set with a higher moment of inertia will have to turn slower and/or a shorter amount of time to do the same.

Also, larger wheels with a heavier moment of inertia will help tame a very powerful engine so that you are not pulling excessive wheelies.

As far as reducing HP at the wheels, this is true in general. The explanation in physics standpooint will require me going into describing moment of inertia (rotating inertia) and linear inertia (plain old inertia we always hear about when physicists try to explain it in layman's terms). This would be quite involved and probably to technical. Anyways, because of the higher moment of inertia, the engine will lose some of its acceleration since the net torque will (in general now, there are exceptions) suffer at the wheels. Also, acceleration will suffer since the weight of the whole Savage has been increased. Both of these factors combine to hurt your acceleration.