Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Check this out gas???

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 01:07 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Check this out gas???

Here is a video of the new Enya 1.8 gas engine! http://www.modelairplanenews.com/enya180xgs# Capt,n
Old 08-12-2011, 01:36 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Check this out gas???

I would like for them to have shown the tailpipe exit and area it's flowing over.???
The only reason I say that is that's why we are leaving nitro. Well one reason anyway.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:06 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

That engine is nothing if not really impressive!

As amazed as I am with the 30cc, it leaves one HUGE question in my mind. I have to wonder if Mr. Enya believes that technology will work in something, say around 10cc? Dropping the conventional (as we know it) ignition system on a gas fueled engine that size (and bigger) would pretty much put them in a weight class that would spell the demise of most nitro burners completely?

I don't know why he went to the complexity/expense regarding what he's done with the pulse line? Maybe it has something to do with the availability of the carb he's using only being available that way - no external pulse line version available?

I'd heard some things about this (glow/gas), but put it to the back of my mind as not be very practical, or somebody would have jumped all over this concept already... That idea's sure been put to bed after seeing the pics and video. Maybe we'll be seeing this technology unfold right in front of us?

Last thought, my practical side says there's less manf. expense as there's no electronic ignition to supply with the engine. It'll be interesting to see what the engines sell for - and how long for the knock offs to come to market?

Edit: Just went back and viewed the video again - and picked up on the fact they used a starter on it. Wonder how it hand starts? If not, thinking I'll be an ignition guy a while longer on the bigger stuff - but wouldn't mind using a starter on the smaller ones?
Old 08-12-2011, 07:04 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check this out. We've been doing it for years...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_80..._1/key_/tm.htm

AV8TOR
Old 08-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any carb can be made to use an external pulse line, been doing it for 24 years....Takes a #23 drill to make a hole in the cover and a 128-218 Walbro fuel fitting for the carb cover, and a fitting in the crankcase....Less than $5 for the parts....
Old 08-13-2011, 03:54 AM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

The engine is interesting, but leaves a lot of questions. Some of the advantages of conventional gas engines with ignitions are easy hand starting (retarded ignition timing), low fuel cost (compared to methanol/nitro), less exhaust residue (less oil in fuel), better fuel mileage (smaller and lighter fuel loads), and reliable running with little chance of a flameout. It seems to me that the new Enya has no way to retard the firing point on starting, hence that's why they used an electric starter in the video. Does the Enya require a special type of gasoline mixture with some special kind of oil? What is the price of this special fuel? If it's gasoline, the fuel mileage is likely very good, so you can use a smaller tank. How reliable is ignition with the glow plug on the Enya? Will it be immune to flameouts?
Old 08-13-2011, 04:25 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

AV8TOR
Thanks much for the reference! I've learned something new. After reading your intro, have to wonder why Mr. Enya is doing what he's doing? Doesn't make sense.

I'm disappointed, didn't understand the need for mixing the nitro fuel with gasoline. I understand that takes some of the sting out of flying with nitro using the bigger engines, but that causes a total loss of interest on my part. When they said gas engine, never occurred to me it might be a nitro blend. That's the only way a glow plug would work, right?

Antique, thanks. I get what you're saying. Maybe the pic is of a proto? I'm just struggling with the unnecessary complexity regarding the way he's doing it.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:01 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Antique

Any carb can be made to use an external pulse line, been doing it for 24 years....Takes a #23 drill to make a hole in the cover and a 128-218 Walbro fuel fitting for the carb cover, and a fitting in the crankcase....Less than $5 for the parts....
On my Kavan 50 there is a nipple for a crankcase vent line. I placed a "oil catch" tank to a fuel line that is hooked to the vent. I hope there will be enough pluse to carb if I place aTee in that line to catch tank. The Tee would be close too nipple and the catch tank 6-7 inches at end of the line/tube. The catch tank has a vent so pressure will not build up. I hope this works...got to make a carb adapter and pick out agood Walbro carb. Best Regards Capt,n
Old 08-13-2011, 05:13 AM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an external pulse line from the engine to the carb- it's visible in the carb close up picture. If you go to the Enya web site they have a special oil - so I wonder if they have some ingredients there that work with the glow plug and cause it to fire the fuel - they also talk about a new 4 stroke plug that seems to be recommended with this engine.

Ed
Old 08-13-2011, 05:50 AM
CustomPC

The gasoline plug is unique to that engine.

On the outside it looks like an OS-F but it is a little bit longer and has much finer threads.

Not to be confused with a normal 4-stroke glow plug for methanol fuel that enya are also releasing (they've never had a 4-stroke plug in their line up before).
Old 08-13-2011, 09:12 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Re the Gas/Glow system as invented and perfected by Aeronut and myself, a number of points:

Yes, you do mix 33% 10% nitro/10% oil glow fuel with 66% premium gasoline.
You use a four stroke glow plug.
The engines run fantastic.
Easier starting than on gasoline. (I hand start all of mine.)
Slower, smoother idle than on gasoline.
Cooler running and more power than on gasoline.
NO "glow glop" on the airplane; they burn clean.

I have engines from a .90 Super Tiger to a 50cc twin running on Gas/Glow and I've been flying them for years. It's a cool system.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_80..._1/key_/tm.htm

AV8TOR