Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

E-Revo Budget motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 03:58 AM
CalebTheRCguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Revo Budget motor

I have a old E-Revo that I bought used at a tag sale with some 5000 mAh 2S lipos and burnt out stock motors. I have 2 lipo buzzers to use with it because I just resently found out the ESC has no LVC. My guess is that it is a 2007 model. I'm wondering if I can just use the motors linked at the bottom of this post, or if I should get a CC SV8, or if anyone can link a budget brushless system ($140ish) Thanks
http://m.gearbest.com/rc-car-parts/pp_266453.html
Old 03-18-2016, 02:13 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally wouldn't waste my $ on the motor you linked. They don't tell you anything about the motor, the turn count could be more than the esc can handle. Then there's the problem with running 2 brushed motors on the Erevo, one of the motors has to be a reverse rotation model. Brushed motors usually have timing built into them which results in them spinning faster forward than reverse. But lets say you put two normal ones on the Erevo, now you'll have to reverse the wires to one motor so it'll spin in reverse. But since it's spinning in reverse the timing prevents it from making as much power and spinning as fast as the other motor. Reverse rotation motors still have the same amount of timing, it's just optimized for rotating in the opposite direction.

If you want to stay brushed and cheap get a Dewalt 820 14.4v drill motor. They make lots of torque, will bolt to the rear motor mount and are damn near indestructible. It's also the closest your going to get to brushless power and speed. There's lots of documentation on dropping in a Dewalt just do a search.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:19 PM
CalebTheRCguy

Alright, thanks I never thought of just running one larger motor. Do you know of a budget brushless system or if I should just get the high quality stuff, aka Castle Sidewinder 8
Old 03-19-2016, 10:59 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my opinion you get what you pay for. Sometimes you pay for the name. In some cases (like Castle/Tekin) though you get the name, a warrantee and repair program that China brands don't have, more esc programming options, etc. The cheapest brushless systems out there are Trackstar/Turnigy. You'll find people raving about them saying they're so powerful and they couldn't be happier. But if you read the reviews you'll find plenty of failures and hassle getting them replaced under warrantee. The other issue will be heat. With the recommended gearing they'll probably be fine and for someone going from brushed or a 1/10 brushless on 2s it'll be fast. But it won't be as fast as a Castle/Tekin 1/8 system and when they try to gear up to be as fast as a Castle things get hot quickly. The easiest way to make a motor cheap is to use magnet lamininations with thicker layers but you sacrifice efficiency so more heat is generated than a motor like Castle/Tekin that uses more expensive thinner laminations. The result is you can't gear for as high of a top speed.

The cheapest 1/8 motor I've used is a Fiegao, they're old tech 2 pole and dirt cheap. They also couldn't be geared anywhere near as fast as something like a Castle unless you wanted to get the motor hot enough to burn the anodizing off. Ironically the Trackstar is about the same price the Feigao used to be. The cheapest 4 pole motor I've used is a Leopard. The power was comparable to Castle/Tekin, the price was a bunch lower at the time but in the same vehicle and with the same setup it was consistently at least 20F hotter. I'd put Hobbywing at about the same level as the Leopard but their prices have been getting closer and closer to Castle's lately as they up their game to the same level. Trackstar is even cheaper than Leopard/Hobbywing, the motors are smaller than the usual 1/8 4074 (making them less powerful but cheaper) and I've seen plenty of heat horror stories with them.

In the monster truck section of this forum there's a user with a Neewer motor (Neewer, Trackstar are just 2 of the names this China clone is sold as) in a Losi LST with heatsink and fan that's getting too hot and he's not geared for insane speeds. The new Losi LST XXL2e uses a Castle Sidewinder8 system with no fan, geared for a similar top speed as the user with the Neewer motor and it has no heat issues. Two 1/8 brushless systems in similar weight vehicles, geared for similar speed and the cheapo system gets too hot even with a heatsink and fan while the more expensive (but mainstream priced) system has no issues whatsoever and is good enough for a manufacturer to include in their RTR truck. Which one do you want in your truck?

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 03-19-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:28 PM
CalebTheRCguy

Thanks for the big write up, now I understand why I should get a high quality Castle system. Thank you so much!
Old 04-30-2016, 12:29 PM
CalebTheRCguy

For right now I've decided on a Traxxas 775 for the simple fact that I don't have enough money for a brushless