Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Vote! Divide Jets into Turbine, DF, Propjet sub-forums?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Vote! Divide Jets into Turbine, DF, Propjet sub-forums?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2002, 04:34 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vote! Divide Jets into Turbine, DF, Propjet sub-forums?

Ok...some suggestions have rolled in regarding possibly breaking the jets forum down to some sub-forum categories as we have with some other active forums here at RCU.

The proposal could involve a seperate sub-forums as follows:

A) Turbine Jets
B) Ducted Fan Jets
C) Prop Jets
D) Turbine Motors
E) Keep as is
F) See comments below in my post!

The poll here will let you check off each one you want to be a seperate category (you can choose one or more).

Also if you have alternate suggestions just add them to this thread and we will try to find the best format that all of you decide you want as a whole.

Alternatively if you like things as is we can of course leave them as is so that voting option is up there as well. Be heard and vote please!
Old 04-13-2002, 04:38 PM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Default Poll

Keep it as is, execpt I would like to see post for jets/jet stuff wanted in this forum. It would help people trying to locate parts, etc... as people are inclined to look in here and not the wanted forum. Thanks and keep up the good work.
Larry
Old 04-13-2002, 04:49 PM
AirRayInc
My Feedback: (7)

Leave it the way it is, as stated before, we all started some where, and there is alot of knowledge amoungst some of the "elder" turbine drivers that spent alot of time on the prop jets and ducted fans, some or most of these guys may not spend the time visiting another forum, and that knowledge would be lost.

Those of you that have aquired the FUNDS and knowledge, dont be so upity. Share some of that great information with some of us still making our way up, content with where we are, or lacking the funds to move on to the "all -mighty" turbine ranks. I know what its like to be on all three sides of the fence. Its no inconvenicnce (to me anyway) to see a prop jet or ducted fan post in the jet forum.

Ray
Old 04-13-2002, 04:57 PM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Default poll

I agree with airrayinc. Keep it the same just let people post if they want something jet related. Some people will not look into the wanted forum. Thanks
Larry
Old 04-13-2002, 05:08 PM
Sean Edwards

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I certainly don't think this forum is bogged down with too much stuff about unrelated things. I personally like knowing what's going on in the turbine world even though my experience level puts me in the Ducted Fan group currently. As my experiece grows I'd hope to move to turbines someday. I hope turbine guys aren't so exclusive as to not let the rest of us look in on what's going on.
Old 04-13-2002, 05:26 PM
mvigod
Banned

Sean,

The subforum categories are not to limit anybody from knowing what's going on by any means...subforums are merely a way to organize things as logically as possible so the human interface and ease of use has the least amount of friction and is as friendly as possible.

We could keep things all lumped together here and allow those who want to post propjets too in this forum if they choose to do so...it's just a matter of what everyone thinks will be best and easiest.

If we do change depending how the votes and comments go and it works great than we leave it...if users find out after doing so that it isn't working as good as they thought we can easily revert back and combine all posts back into main jet forum. I have no preference as I don't own a jet (yet!) and any of the proposed formats are easy for me to implement if that is what the jet flyers decide they want.
Old 04-13-2002, 05:34 PM
Dave Barrow-RCU

If you sub-catagorize jets, then you would also need seperate catagories for Electric ducted fan jets, Electric ducted fan motors, Ducted fan engines, Prop jet engines, Acessories, etc, etc......add infinium.
I also like reading about all facets of jets, I have prop jets and ducted fan jets, and the only thing keeping me from adding Turbines is $$$$$$
I think you will just drive people back to RCO by splitting things up.
Old 04-13-2002, 05:54 PM
mvigod
Banned

Dave,

That's why I'm asking...whatever you guys vote for as a whole is cool with me...you guys use this jet forum more than me so it's going to be exactly what you all decide you want it to be...I just program to everyones preference!
Old 04-13-2002, 06:20 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Keep it the way it is......if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Old 04-13-2002, 06:28 PM
Terry Holston

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

I fly Prop Jets, Byro-blasters, Dynamax/Ramtech fans, Electric Jets and Ram 500 Turbine.

I enjoy reading all the posts, even the ones that have to do with Brand X

You never know when the conversation will lead to some useful info.

I vote keep it as is!!!!
Old 04-13-2002, 08:31 PM
THE TAILBACKER

Default Forums

Did someone forget how "RCO" went from good, to bad to worse to gone! This is the beginning of the end. I am on this thing nearly everyday. I am a propjet man, There is hardly any propjet threads on the "Jets" forum to warrant a new one. This is fine with me. The more you add, the slower it will run unless you know something i don't. I think the Jets forum is fine as it is.
Old 04-13-2002, 08:32 PM
F15driver
My Feedback: (24)

I agree with the status quoers; this is a good forum as is and some knowlege will slip through the cracks if we get too specific.
On another subject, can all of us have a little restraint when it comes to these "elitist" turbine flyer comments? By far the vast majority of turbine flyers are no different than anyone else flying giants, ducted fans or any other type of airplane. In most instances jets are and have been for a long time their primary area of interest and consequently most turbine flyers have been flying high speed aircraft ( i.e. jets ) for years and their natural progression would be to turbines. In no way does that mean that just because they fly turbines they're elitist.
Just my 2 cents as long as we're being polled.
Old 04-13-2002, 08:47 PM
DavidR

Thank You Rob! Well said.
Old 04-13-2002, 09:33 PM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vote Is Cast

Keep it as is !!!

There is not enough post of prop jet related issues to be that distracting and I enjoy reading some of the issues pertaining to prop jets. Not everone is created equal and some are not as fortunate as others to have the means to be able to afford turbines but that does not mean they should be shunned or overlooked.

I own prop jets, ducted fans, turbines, as well as giant scale, so I am not biased in my vote.

The issue is not a problem, so leave it as is.

Prop jets can be cool too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	8383_693.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	5823  
Old 04-13-2002, 09:59 PM
Jetset
My Feedback: (2)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I used to think......

I used to think that splitting up would be a good idea but after getting used to RCU and the way this Jets Forum is set up, my vote would have to be to leave it the way it is now.
One thing I have noticed in the past though is a modelers inquiring about a prop jet and being told that he is in the wrong forum.
My personal opinion is, if it's a jet model-it's a jet model, regardless of the power plant. Hopefully all jet modelers can find what they need in one spot!
keep up the great work! RCU Rocks!!!!! :rainfro:
Just my .02

Myles
Old 04-13-2002, 10:30 PM
mat

i agree with all that is bring said leave jets as they are all types im fairly new to jet aircraft and at present flying a kangroo with jetcat 120 and just looking at the jet rcu site over the pass week have managed to glean tons of information that if was split into parts i proably would not have found.

Keep up the good work

Mat
Old 04-13-2002, 11:01 PM
Brian B
My Feedback: (5)

Default Forums

I vote with the majority: leave it like it is. The cross fertilization of ideas is worth a lot. I fly DF, turbine, props, and it is all interesting. We can all learn from each other, no matter what we fly.
Old 04-13-2002, 11:48 PM
mvigod
Banned

So far the consensus seems to be leave it as is and allow propjets included...we'll leave the poll up for another day or so and let some other opinions and votes sound off but the margin now is toward the leave things as they are plus propjets ok....if you haven't voted or voiced your opinion please do so!

The Tailbacker - Don't worry...we can add quite a bit here and things will not slow. Our database design will allow scalability well beyond whatever once could imagine...very different architecture than RCO was based on. Think in the millions of posts range and you won't lose 1/100th of a second.
Old 04-14-2002, 12:13 AM
Dave Barrow-RCU

Here's another Prop Jet, belongs to a friend of mine. 10 foot wingspan, two OS.61 rear exhaust engines. I call this a Jet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	8388_399.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	5824  
Old 04-14-2002, 01:08 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Default Delta Airliner

Dave, that person sitting behind that airliner is having way to much fun.
Old 04-14-2002, 02:01 AM
JET FX

Default RCU Jet format???

Marc,
Being involved with web design myself, it still amazes me how you do it? The amount of time involved in construction and maintenance of a site such as RCU is huge!!!
You are a hero in my books mate, I thank you very much for giving us R/C modellers such a brilliant web site to gain and share info. from, I just hope you remain involved as webmaster for this site for a very long time...

That said, I personally like the way the jet forum is at present, with ALL the various forms of jet powered models, and see no reason to change for now.... Once again you and rest of the RCU crew are legends, hats off to you mate!

Cheers- Marty
Old 04-14-2002, 02:46 AM
Ramjet

Default OK, Consensus achieved

Seems most like it as is.
I sometimes find the sheer number of posts to be a bit overwhelming <i dont log in daily>.
I seem to be losing a lot of sleep just trying to read all the forums I like,Guess Thats life, eh?
Is there a way to split the forum yet allow users to pick the sections they want to read? Set up the group pref in a cookie perhaps?
Personally I don't think I'll ever be able to afford Turbines and I have to drive a couple hours away just to fly my DF Jet off pavement. So reading about Turbines is a part I could skip.

Ramjet
Old 04-14-2002, 02:59 AM
gtmaxx
My Feedback: (6)

Default Leave her as she is.

Too much information can be lost. It's easy to pick and choose as it's currently set up. Easier to gather your pickins from one watering hole as it is from a whole bunch of watering holes.
Old 04-15-2002, 02:25 AM
david200mph

I have to agree with the majority to leave it the way it is. I voted to split ducted fans / turbines. After reading the posts I have decided that leaving it the way it is makes more sense.
Old 04-15-2002, 01:34 PM
mvigod
Banned

OK...for now the people have spoken and we will leave it as is...should things change down the line we can always change then.

Thread closed..