Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Newb Questions: Tamiya F2012 F1 Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 03:17 AM
AustrianOak82

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb Questions: Tamiya F2012 F1 Car

Hey guys, first post! I am new to the R/C world so bear with me. I just picked up a Tamiya F2012 F1 car (used). It's the F104 frame with a few upgrades including carbon fiber frame, 4300 brushless motor, carbon axle, aluminum motor mount and differential, oiled damper, and lipo 4000 20C battery. I don't plan on racing it, just something for my son and I to take out to large open parking lots and play with, and run with my buddies around neighborhoods and what not. I am still getting used to the speed and power of the thing, which I figured would be the case. In the meantime, I had a few questions:

1. It came with the Futaba Attack T2DR remote. Not really feeling it, so I was looking for some suggestions on one that works well for the F1 platform. Ideally I would like one where I could dumb down the throttle if I needed to so my son could drive it. Something to also help with traction control. Budget would be $0-$150.

2. Any recommendations for hop ups that are a "must have" for the F104 chassis? Granted I am still learning to drive this thing and getting used to the power and speed but wondering if there is anything to make my life easier and the overall product better and stronger.

3. It came with an upgraded gear but I noticed the original plastic spur is still there. Should I upgrade the plastic spur to a better one to accommodate the gear? Seemed weird to not do both at the same time.

4. Do I need to get a new servo at the same time I put the new radio and receiver in?

5. The original owner of this thing put the 4300 brushless motor in. Looks like it came with the ESC but I cant find brand names anywhere on either of them. Would the ESC that came with the motor be ready to go with the low voltage warning and everything or is there something I need to do?

Thanks guys.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:14 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. For a $0 budget, I can send you a cheap no-frills FM transmitter if you wish. If not, look on Hobbyking for the Flysky transmitters.

2. Nothing I know of. I'm not an F1/onroad RC car guy. I recommend replacing nothing until you break the stock piece twice or easily.

3. Define "better." Is better metal, smaller, or larger? I suggest only using plastic spur gears as you don't want to kill the driveshaft or anything else if it gets bound up.

4. Nope, unless you want a better one.

5. Got pics of it? If it doesn't have LIPO detection, you can buy buzzers for cheap $3-5) on eBay that will tell you once your battery gets too low.

Welcome to the hobby!