Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

tuning problems 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 03:13 PM
CrysisFX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuning problems 4.6

ok so im running a f4.6 with a hpi tuned pipe... it runs well but everytime i try tuning it to max preformance it acts strange. so i wondering if im listening for the right too lean noise. once i start moving the hsn i start to hear this gurgling noise out of the exauhst so i figure its rich and i tune it to the point to were it doesnt make a gurgling noise and after running that setting for a while it acts strange... at that setting if i give it any gas it dies straight off the bat so i tune it down but then it gurgles and puts out smoke at 1/4 throttle. i cant find out whats wrong
Old 09-05-2008, 04:07 PM
BudBud

Default RE: tuning problems 4.6

Start with the high speed needle, get it out where you can let it run for an extended distance. Start with a setting that you know is too rich, ignore what it is doing at low speed for now. Get the truck up to speed and lean it out in 1/8th turn increments until you no longer see an increase in perfromance or until it stalls trying to get to speed. Now back it off the 1/8th turn that made it stall or had no improvement.

On the low side, just do the smae thing, start with a rich setting, one that blows a lot of smoke and will not lit the front tires. Start leaning 1/8th of a turn at a time. When you get the wheel standing power you want or enough power to accelerate to suit yourself, stop.

If you go too far on the low side, it will make your engine very hard to start and it will run on instaed of falling back to an idle. It will develop what I call the death cackle, that na-na-NA-na-NA noise.

If this routine does not work, you have an air leak or dying glow plug. Bud
Old 09-05-2008, 06:12 PM
CrysisFX

well i found the problem. i had the slipper clutch set too slippery and the enging would over rev and get too hot. i didnt figure it out untl the car wouldnt move but the spur was moving. so i let it cool and the spir was warped. took it apart and the spur was completely raped on the inside. pulled out a new one out of the many i have and im running good now
Old 09-05-2008, 06:41 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

hmmmmm I have the symptoms of lean, but visually it seems too rich...so what would the recommendation be for that?

Up top it is fine, but when I am slowing down and going to idle it cackles like the nanaNAnanaNA thing.

It idles fine and high end is good, but low end is slightly retarded sometimes with the lean thing.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:48 PM
CrysisFX

well tahts what mine did lol and tightening the spur worked. but your low end needle could be too lean