Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Nitro Models P38 for $249??To good to be true ?

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Nitro Models P38 for $249??To good to be true ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 06:54 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nitro Models P38 for $249??To good to be true ?

Anyone building this plane ,I know its way off scale but the outline is a good starting point and at 94" for $249 seems to good to be true ? [X(]
Old 05-22-2006, 06:14 AM
Ross 3951
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro Models P38 for $249??To good to be true ?

I was wondering the same thing. A 94" wing span and 60" long....thats a lot of plane for little money! If it lasted a full season it would almost be worth it.

Ross3951
Old 05-23-2006, 05:45 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep . I know just sounds toooo good to be true [&o]
Old 01-05-2008, 09:17 PM
arcs

yep its true .i got the green version 90'' x 70'' . awsome constrution and covering.i am using magnum 70's and threeblade 12x6 props.this plane is not without it's small problems. n fiberglass nose needs trimming to fit 1 '' off end. no alignment holes to bolt down wing and pilot section.almost complete lack of instructions,if you have built several arf's you shuld'nt have any problems.i,ll use two recivers to cut down on connectors and assembly time at the field.check out the video on rc unverse.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:14 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had this plane for a couple of years and just am getting started on it after much deliberation about how to go about it. I'm going to start a building thread, but here is what I have.

I am going to do a lot of work to this plane including changing the stupid way they make the wing. Mine will have plug-in outboard sections like the Yellow P-38, and most other giant scale planes do. It will stay on the gear. Here are pictures of the beginning of my construction. The center section is glued together and I have cut the wing into three main sections. Carbon fiber tubes will serve as wing tube spars and a friend made me glass sleeves for them.

After doing some research, it would seem that it is modeled after the P-38J. This one had redesigned cowlings to accommodate the oil and intercoolers under the engine. I will be mounting two Moki 61s sideways with pitts mufflers aiming out the bottom. The center section will be permanently attached to the booms. Holes will be cut through the sheeting to access the gear inside. Retracts will be added with scale struts. The bottom of the booms will be rounded to make more room for the tires and to add a more scale look to them. I hope to cheat a little on the front, so the cowl shape can still work. A cannon will be added in the nose, as per the full scale, cross bracing will be added to the canopy sides and a scale cockpit will be installed including a full body pilot complete with parachute and other gear. Elevator counter balances will be installed as well as the turbo scoops located on the sides of the booms just under the trailing edge. The bottom will be painted Grey and she will be weathered and dinged up. I will add some panel detail as well as the little polished ovals on the sides of the nocells for the pilot to see the nose gear. I also plan to add some fairings to the wing center pod joints, since these will be permanently attached now.

Lots to do before the weather breaks here in Ohio.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32158.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	852319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59322.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	852320  
Old 02-19-2008, 06:57 PM
n9331v

Are you going to start the building forum here ?? If not can you post here the location it will be ?
Old 02-19-2008, 09:44 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6913969/tm.htm

This is the link to the build. It is in this forum.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:52 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

LDM, if you do a little digging there was a build on this here in the twins section or might of been in the warbirds section.

I liked the kit, it was a basic no frills one. Let you add what you liked. Ram/ Gary's build is a really nice conversion of the basic into a more realistic version. Very impressive.

Also look for Mike Pope's version he's got a lot of time on his.

Only real problem I ever heard of on this kit was to make sure the boom to elevator connection was good, was apparantly a weak spot on the booms.

Mike's and mine were both done up as electrics, here's mine, hence replaced with the VQ version, which turned out to be a bigger QC problem then the Nitro's one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43498.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	883834  
Old 02-20-2008, 01:51 PM
Rv man

Hey guy's
If you think $249. is cheap, Check this site out www.ak-models.com I purchased mine for $190. to my door, I can't beleive the quality for the price of this kit, I got the big one 90'' wing span, They have two left. My 2nd generation Kemp went down the road in Kram's trash can, It flew like a brick, I'm goimg to put retracts in my Nitro Model, I figure it should be a good flier. Good with yours.

Rich