Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Hey Lefties

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 06:39 AM
nomobux
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Lefties

What are you lefties using ? Any good choices or are you just adapting.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:59 AM
Engrose

Default RE: Hey Lefties

As far as I know there is only four (five) choices available:

Futapa 2pk
Airtronics M8 or M11
Nomadio
Husky & Ken

I started with a normal tx and did find it a little strange until I noticed that other people had the tx in their left hand.....
But it is much much easier when you get a tx that you can configuere to left hand operation

If you don't have a leftie-tx you can either force yourself to use your right hand to steer with or you can, as I did, hold the normal tx in your right hand and place the left hand on the wheel over the top of the tx.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:10 AM
nomobux

Thanx for the reply. So .. are you now using a lefty TX or still doing as you said. Right hand and over the top
Old 08-13-2005, 08:12 AM
nomobux

Thanx for the reply. So .. are you now using a lefty TX or still doing as you said. Right hand and over the top
Old 08-13-2005, 08:22 AM
Engrose

I use the Husky & Ken. It can easily be switched between left and right hand operation. Furthermore it's synthesized, so no more problems with crystals and no more waiting because another has your frequency.

Old 08-13-2005, 02:02 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Engrose

As far as I know there is only four (five) choices available:

Futapa 2pk
Airtronics M8 or M11
Nomadio
Husky & Ken

I started with a normal tx and did find it a little strange until I noticed that other people had the tx in their left hand.....
But it is much much easier when you get a tx that you can configuere to left hand operation

If you don't have a leftie-tx you can either force yourself to use your right hand to steer with or you can, as I did, hold the normal tx in your right hand and place the left hand on the wheel over the top of the tx.
Futaba T3PK. One of my left handed friends also drilled out a transmitter and made the antenna come out the bottom. It was for a "stock" Kyosho Mini-Z class. Other than that he uses the M8. I use the Nomadio Sensor and the Futaba T3PK, but I'm right handed.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:01 PM
Engrose

Of course it is the Futaba 3PK and not 2PK - don't know what I was thinking.....
Old 12-24-2005, 02:22 PM
pmcderm993

I am right-handed, but much prefer to drive so-called left-handed. When racing, I believe steering is secondary to throttle control. I prefer to work the throttle with my right hand. I have had a few right-handed friends start racing cars and they also prefer this setup.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:44 PM
Doahh

what if you used your right thumb for throttle?
Old 12-25-2005, 01:51 AM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

I am a lefty. I fly my RC aircraft left-handed - my Futaba 9C is setup in Mode 3, which is the mirror image of the common Mode 2. I have tried the righty Mode 2 and can fly with it if my life depended on it, but I don't at all feel comfortable with it.

OTOH, I drive with my PK3 set up "right-handed". I did briefly tried left-handed when I first got into RC cars, but it didn't exactly overwhelm me with a sense of "natural feel" that lefty airplane TX did for me. So I switched back to driving right-handed. It wasn't to conform to how everbody else drives. I'm the last RCer on earth that would give in to that, given my RC aircraft experience. I just figure if it doesn't make much difference for me, I might as well go right-handed so my sons can use my TX too.

I think the difference is because with RC cars, both hands are equally important and equally busy. This is unlike RC airplanes, which you can just about fly single-handed most of the time.

I'd say, if your budget allows, get a TX that can be set up either way, and give them both a try. Go with the one that feels the most "natural" to you.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:15 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Volfy
I'd say, if your budget allows, get a TX that can be set up either way, and give them both a try. Go with the one that feels the most "natural" to you.
And if possible, try to get someone to let you try out the transmitters before making a purchase AT THE TRACK. Today I let an Airtronics M8 user try out my Nomadio Sensor, Futaba T3PK and JR XS3. Myself, I also tried out the Ko Propo Helios Ex-10 and Airtronics M8 prior to making my own purchases. I did also check out the M11, but I did not actually use it since I pretty much made my decision based on trying out the lighter M8.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:26 AM
R.Robinson
Banned

PRICE will determine what you can find and use for a left handed radio.These are all I know that were or are avaiable. I have listed them is order of least evpensive to most expensive.

Kyosho Pulsar 2000 Discontinued new/used
Hitec challenger 260 Dis used/new I have
Hitec 2px Dis new/used I have
hitec 3PX Dis new/used I have
Hitec lynx 3d Dis new/used I have
Airtronics xl2p Dis used I have
Airtronics cs2p Dis new/used
Airtronics m8 Dis new/used
Airtronics m11 NEW $300
Futaba 3pk New $320
Nomadio NEW $520
Old 12-29-2005, 07:21 PM
Kanza

I prefer the 3PK. You don't have to cut or modify it to convert it. Plus, all the controls are on the back, so it works the same for both right and left handers.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:01 AM
nomobux

Just got a good deal on an "as new" M8 with Spektrum and rx, so I'm set and happy.