Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

traxxas trouble again

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 01:16 AM
ViperKid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default traxxas trouble again

ok, here we go again, my electric 'pede has melted the connection plugs to the battery. I will have to replace them, should i get "no loss connecters", or just replace the old ones? I have 1500 batteries, the stock electronic speed control, and a "monsters of touring" motor. What caused them to melt? THANKS

sorry bout the spellin
Old 05-22-2002, 12:20 PM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

No question in my mind, go with the "no loss connecters".
Old 05-22-2002, 08:07 PM
ViperKid

do you have to solder any thing with "no loss connecters" or is it pretty easy?
Old 05-22-2002, 09:13 PM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you will have to solder but it is easy. I reccomend Deans plugs. Many people I have talked to complain that Litespeed and the like come off too easy.
Old 05-23-2002, 02:35 AM
Elwood

But the Deans can be very hard to get off! I still use them, though.
Old 05-23-2002, 11:26 PM
gubbs3

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Better stuck on than coming off when you're winning a race.
Old 05-23-2002, 11:55 PM
Elwood

Haven't lost a plug yet!
Old 06-05-2002, 07:52 PM
imrcbob

Default PowerPole Plugs

Everyone I know laughs at me, but I love these plugs. I use them for everything. They are "unisex" so they can be put into various configuations (no pun intended). I can use a single pack, 2 in parallel, or 2 in series with no problem. I also don't have to stop and think about whether I should use a male or female here or there because every piece fits every other piece, and they are cheap ($1.50/pair at my LHS), and no soldering required.

--Bob
Old 06-05-2002, 09:42 PM
off roader

Default re: $.02 on High end plugs...

From a friend at a hobby shop who sold Deans plugs... he thought that at $2 a pop, $$ of wiring and the time to install, he didn't think they were worth it...

"Deans plugs matter if you're racing, or have some kind exotic motor/esc that draw's a ton of amps. Other than those situations, for the cost, basic Tamiya plug is your best bet. The most you'll notice between them is a couple percent gain in performance and run time."

Off Roader
Old 06-06-2002, 01:24 AM
Elwood

In this case, it is not so much about power but rather reliability. The Deans will last a long time! Just don't get them too hot with a soldering iron!
Old 06-06-2002, 12:04 PM
imrcbob

Dean's are nice plugs, and I've used them; but for the price and convenience I'd have to stick with the PowerPoles. I climb rocks and chase dogs in the parks and my plugs have never come loose or gotten hot regardless of how hard I crashed or how hot my batteries and motor became. If you have the money and time, go Dean's. If your funds are limited (I'm a high school teacher), try the PowerPoles.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:17 PM
FlyinBear77

Listen to the wise Elwood my friend..... Use Deans Plugs for EVERYTHING!! How can you argue when they have less resistance than the same length of wire?? GET THE DEANS!
Old 06-13-2002, 06:10 PM
off roader

Default Questions....

The reason your connector is melting is two fold... Too much current and/or too much resistance. The combination of these two = heat.

Does the battery get really hot when running? It may be heating up the wires which in turn heats up the plug. If so, you have a bad battery, not a bad plug.

What's your wiring look like? What guage? New, old?

Are the connectors you were using new? Used? How good was the solder joint? BTW, the bigger the blob, the better the job solder joints aren't the way to solder them.

These all contribute to the melt down. Check them first. You may find that the cause is elsewhere, rather than pay to upgrade everything to a high end plug setup and still have things too hot.

$.02
Old 06-17-2002, 07:36 PM
ViperKid

the speed control is stock electric and the batteries are duratrax 1500s. The batteries are usually not hot but the speed control is. i just shelfed it for now, i'm having too much fun with my mini-z!
Old 06-18-2002, 05:15 AM
off roader

Default Hot Speed Controller is not good...

Originally posted by ViperKid
the speed control is stock electric and the batteries are duratrax 1500s. The batteries are usually not hot but the speed control is. i just shelfed it for now, i'm having too much fun with my mini-z!
That sounds like a problem. If your ESC is getting hot enough that the wires are heating up to the point that your connector melts, then changing your connectors is merely masking the problem.

In fact, it may also melt the new connectors, or worse, burn up your ESC.

Not personally familiar with that ESC, but I run dual 19 turn Trinity Speed Gem motors (stock is a 27T mabuchi) with 20 Tooth pinions (stock is 18) on a single Dynamite Power Pulse speed controller and after running a 3000 mAH battery, the ESC is just starting to get warm along with the wiring. After running all my batteries (2x3000 mAH, 2x 1500 mAH, 2x unknown mAH) one after another with no pauses other than to change them, the controller and wires are much warmer but you can still touch them for about 10 sec's before it gets uncomfortable.

That's after over an hour of hard running.

Keep in mind that the Power Pulse isn't exactly a high end ESC... more like entry level... heck at $60 retail, its relatively cheap.

I'd contact your ESC maker and ask if it's designed to handle those motors.
Old 07-05-2002, 07:39 PM
nrctc3
My Feedback: (3)

Yes dean's plug's are the best that's what I have in my tc3 and I always win