Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Titan or Rhino???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Titan or Rhino???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 01:35 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Titan or Rhino???

Hi Guys,

I am considering either a Titan or Rhino for my new jet (SM F-18F). How do you guys who are flying these engines like them? I'm not looking to start a flame war (IE 3W Vs. DA) but would like some input as to the strengths and weaknesses of each power plant.

Thanks,

Beave
Old 05-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Adil Nasim
My Feedback: (61)

Default RE: Titan or Rhino???

Hi,

In my club, we have 2 guys flying their SM F-18's. One has a Titan and the other Rhino. From a viewer's point of view, I can't tell the difference. both pilots have very positive remarks regarding the engines as well. I believe the engines are basically identical in respect to the throttle response, ease of running, fuel consumption etc. Regarding the thrust output (going my published specs), I believe the Rhino is slightly more powerful (2-3lbs).

just my .02c

Adil
Old 05-23-2006, 02:19 PM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

just get the cat[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 05-23-2006, 02:20 PM
Richard-RCU
My Feedback: (21)

Consider an AMT Netherlands Pegasus....I have two and they are great. Super service from Bennie Van deGor.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:42 PM
Robrow

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4305602/tm.htm

Rhino has same performance, I'm sure there will be people with both a Titan and Rhino/M160 who will enlighten you.

Rob.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:35 PM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

I powered my SM F-18E with a Super Eagle had plenty of thrust! I also have a Rhino in my Tam F-18F and it's almost too much. The Tam is about 5 lbs heavier than the SM, it weighs 35lbs to the SM 30lbs. I have flown the Tam Hornet with both the Titan and the Rhino, prefer the Rhino for the throttle response. You have to carry more throttle thru manuevers and landing pattern with the Titan than the Rhino because of the spool up time. Not a huge difference, but a difference nontheless, if you accidentally find yourself behind the throttle curve, as I have on one or two occasions, the faster response and extra thrust can definitely save you.

David S
Old 05-23-2006, 04:41 PM
JetflyerJ
Banned
My Feedback: (67)

AMT NL Pegasus
Old 05-24-2006, 09:04 PM
Dave Presta
My Feedback: (3)

300+ flights on a Titan out of the box and it has never had a Hot-start or a dead stick (with fuel left in the uat), nor has it ever been in for service!
Buy what makes you comfortable, but for me its reliabilty and longevity, and nobody does it better then JetCat.....The only ones who come close are AMT Netherlands.
I have flown both engines on the same airframe, and I dont see a big differance in performance or throttle response. In the end your gonna buy what feels right, so good luck with whatever you choose.

Dave

Old 05-24-2006, 09:13 PM
JetflyerJ
Banned
My Feedback: (67)

Beave,

I own 3 of each, my advice is go with AMT Netherlands. JetCat's great turbine but AMT NL has my vote.

Good luck with your decision.

PS. I'M NOT A REP