Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

limited edition, 19t clutch/ 47t spur

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 09:35 PM
savage 40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default limited edition, 19t clutch/ 47t spur

19t clutch be and 47 t spur gear..This combo comes with the Ltd. edition with dirt bonz tires (40% lighter) and man is it fast on pavement... the question is can i drive this thing on grass or will it damage the drive train? I drive mainly on pavement driving the neighbors nutz and chasing cars! but occasionaly drive it along the ditch / dirt area next to the road.. should I change it back to the 15 tooth bell ? But man i love speed! What should I watch for? The biggest pain was adjusting 2nd gear ( required disassembling the trans)... thanks!
Old 11-09-2005, 09:45 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: limited edition, 19t clutch/ 47t spur

I'm sorry I don't have an answer, I have a question.

Before you changed clutchbells, did you have a problem with the motor sounding strained in third gear? [sm=confused.gif] When my LE hits 3rd, there is no power or speed increase and the motor sounds like it is completely wound out. Does that sound familiar at all?

This situation is only true for third gear with my truck. []
Old 11-09-2005, 09:52 PM
savage 40

you mean like a strange "sputter" kind of sound? yeah mine did that and I tried tuning till I was blue in the face but once i changed the gearing ( clutch ) it no longer makes the noise..
Old 11-09-2005, 09:58 PM
icecreamslick

Cool, thanks. [sm=thumbup.gif]

I reckin I will try the other clutchbell.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:08 PM
savage 40

what combo you runnin?
Old 11-09-2005, 11:58 PM
icecreamslick

what combo you runnin?
My gearing has always been stock (whatever that is).................until now. I just switched to the 19 tooth clutchbell. Top end is a great improvement, but I lost bottom end torque. [&o] I guess I may need to try a 17 tooth bell.

Come to think of it, I did not even bother to look at the extra spur gear that came with the truck. [] I bet it should be used with the 19 tooth clutchbell, huh?

...............maybe tomorrow.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:07 AM
gerwen

That's really tall gearing for anything other than pavement. If you have a temp gun, monitor your clutch bell temps. If they approach 200F you're in danger of melting a spur.
How are your dirt bonz holding up to the pavement? I've only run mine on dirt and grass.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:47 AM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

The only thing to worry about running that tall of gearing is clutch slippage and CB temps as noted above. Dump the plastic clutch shoes for some aluminum shoes (Mugens work best) and the only thing you will have to worry about will be poor acceleration. I ran 18/47 with my SH and proline bowties (Non 40 Series) and it was a high speed wheelie machine.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:50 AM
icecreamslick

How are your dirt bonz holding up to the pavement?
I have not driven anywhere other than the street in front of my house and a few of my neighbors' yards but the tires seem to be holding up well so far. From looking at the tread pattern, I'm sure they will wear out quickly if I continue to slide around on the street, so I may have to look into an all terrain tire and save the dirt bonz for the dirt track.

I will definitely get the aluminum clutch shoes and a 17 tooth clutchbell. I'm just not satisfied with the 15T or the 19T. Maybe the 17T will give me what I want from both top end and low end. [8D]
Old 11-10-2005, 11:36 AM
mosavage

The mugem cluth shoes help a lot. ive broken in my le on pavement with my s25 and the traed still look brand new. now with my 32, there is no way i'm going on pavement. how fast do u think my savvy is going. a stock le with a collari 32 and mugen aluminum clutch shoes. like 40 u think becuz it looks crazy fast on loose dirt.