Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Mechanical Retracts: Dave Brown, Great Planes or other

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Mechanical Retracts: Dave Brown, Great Planes or other

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 07:14 PM
WarpdSpazm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanical Retracts: Dave Brown, Great Planes or other

I'm replacing the junk I got in my Kit with something a little better... But which. The one's I have suffer from too much slop with the 3.25" wheels and have no adjustment screws.
The gent on the phone from DBP says they are good up to 15lbs. and no one has ever complained about any slop. They are also 90* where i have need for 85.... so i can go -5 into the wing. Don't know too much about the Great planes or hobbico's

I'm just looking for guys who have used either (or a third brand)and can give some pros/cons

I have a model tech p-47. it's gonna weigh in between 9-11.5 lbs
To soon into the kit bashing to know exact weight. I fly off grass and can land well (under power) am border line OK deadstick. Though I won't be flying this ship until next season so i have time to learn to land better. (only been flying since april).

Thanks for your help
~ray
Old 07-29-2003, 03:54 AM
Azcat59

I have used the Dave Brown retracts many times when flying pattern. They are pretty bullet-proof and hold up well. Also the MK retracts are good, a little more petite than Brown's. I think you can get them from Central Hobbies (see ads in magazines). The Tower systems are more flimsy in my opinion but I use them some on smaller planes (45, maybe 60 size). Supra are good, and I think Central may have them also. And I had a set of Robart mechanicals in my TF AT-6 and they were well made.

Hope this gives you enough to think about.....I have used all of the above except Supra.

Clair Sieverling
Old 07-29-2003, 11:15 AM
WarpdSpazm

Thanks azcat,

Since we're talking about a .60 sized bird with a 1.20 engine, 19" 4blade prop bombs and lights coming in over 10lbs, I'll prolly be going with the DB's. anything "flimsy" or more petite would most likely be bad when you combine my plane with a grass field...

happy flyin
Old 07-29-2003, 02:42 PM
Mike James

Default Landing gear

I wish that some of the previously mentioned manufacturers would make landing gear a size up... something that could use a 3/16" strut. Most of them will only handle 5/32" wire.

Robart units will take a female adapter, enabling different size wire, if you want to use it instead of Robo Struts.

Bob Violett makes some GREAT mechanical retracts that will take 3/16" wire. They're not cheap, but they are really very nice units.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:38 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use some that I designed/made myself, so I can't recommend any particular brands, but I can say this:

Do NOT use the Great Planes Retracts.

I am a big fan of GP, but I used a set of their 60 size retracts recently, and they were absolute crap.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:53 PM
WarpdSpazm

Thanks guys.

I put the order in at my LHS earlier for the Dave brown Southern Pro's. At $40+ tax for the pair it's a good price. I spoke to DBP and they said they recommend them up to 15lbs but have a guy using them on a 22 pounder just fine. I'm only 11.5ish so we'll see... They're better than the "give-aways" that came with the plane, that's for sure. If she turns out to be that good a model I'll buy spring airs in time, but can' afford them right now. Need the 9cap and RCV engine to make her fly first.