Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Ohio Model Planes Edge 540 - any good?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Ohio Model Planes Edge 540 - any good?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 06:22 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ohio Model Planes Edge 540 - any good?

Is anyone familiar with the Ohio models Edge 540 35%? They r a new company but, from what I can see the product looks very good. Anyone have experience with them? Construction looks to be simular to CARDEN ( balsa truss fuse) and is $150 less expensive. Looking for comments.
http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com

Mike
Old 05-19-2002, 11:09 PM
JWilliams

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ohio Model planes

Hey luv2flyrc, I have their 35% edge 540 on order should get it anyday. I saw it at Toledo and was thinking of getting a carden, but theirs did look good. I am not sure they have flown the prototype edge but they have flown the cap 232. I hope to put mine together and fly it this summer. Will give a full report then. Jeff Williams
Old 05-19-2002, 11:30 PM
luv2flyrc

Default 540kit

hi Jeff,

would luv to hear what u think of the kit when u get it in your hands, What made u choose Ohio over the Carden? I'm debating this right now, I've built Cardens before, they r nice kits and of course everyone knows how they fly! Let me know what u think of their fiberglass parts as I've not been pleased with Carden's ( I know it's not done in-house) but i'd be looking for a new glass guy.

Thanks

Mike
Old 05-20-2002, 11:19 AM
JWilliams

Default OMP stuff

Well, I really did not get to examine the fiberglass parts in Toledo. What dealings I have had with OMP have been favorable and I do not have any reservations about their products. I would be happy to give feedback on the edge when I get it. I am surprised that you had unfavorable feelings with Cardens fiberglass parts. They are a quality driven company. I went with OMP's edge for two reasons, I like to get quality stuff from other companies that is just as good at a better price. I feel their edge is just that. Also, Cardens 35% edge will not be available again until September. Now had they both been available, I still would have gone with OMP because of reason #1. I looked the plane over at Toledo, it looked great. See pg. 18 of Model airplane news July issue. Competition for carden is good, it will make them continue to be good and others will have to at least live up to that mark. In the end we as the end users will benefit from quality planes at competitive prices. I feel OMP is doing that and so are some others, Aeroworks, Fiberclassics just to name a few. Sorry to those I did not mention. This is not a sales pitch for any company, just my feelings on the issue.
Expect a report on the box contents this week. I will get some jpeg pics out also. Happy contrails, Jeff Williams
Old 06-05-2002, 01:03 AM
JWilliams

Default Got my omp 35% edge

Luv2flyrc, I got my omp edge last week. I have gone thru both boxes and have found good quality parts. Instruction manual is OK, lack detail if you are new and for those familiar it is fine. Full size plans appear to be hand drawn but very good for hand drawn. All in all, I say a good purchase. What else did you want to know? Jeff W. (If you need pics let me know.)
Old 06-05-2002, 06:10 PM
luv2flyrc

Default EDGE

Hi Jeff, thanks for the reply, sounds like a winner, How's the glass work, look good or any obvious holes?, does it come with an anodized wing tube? r the landing gear and Canopy quality parts as well?

thanks

Mike
Old 07-29-2002, 03:54 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Default OMP Edge

Hey I flew one of these last week and man was that fun. Granted I don't have that much experience on GS planes but I'll definately be building one of these later this summer. Glass work is from top quality supplier and had no defects. Landing gear is from TNT so you know that's good. Now if I can only find enough time left in my summer to play! Hey Jeff, any reports on your bird yet?

Mike
Old 07-29-2002, 08:34 PM
JWilliams

Default OMP 540

Mike, I am pleased with the model. Unfortunately, the sledge 540 has taken all my free model time. Now that it is about ended I will focus on the edge. I have access to a vacuum bagging system so I will be doing that for the foam stuff. Otherwise it will be standard construction for me. Ed did lend me a construction video that I just sent back to him. I have not watched it fully but I think it would be helpful with anyone unfamiliar. I agree the fiberglass parts are good and so is the gear and canopy. How did you get to fly one? I want to try it also but I only know of the prototype that Ed has. I am going to try a single volz servo on the rudder, the 300 oz in one from RC showcase. ZDZ is supposed to release a 100cc twin soon but I know I will want the engine soon for construction, hope I can get a ZDZ but if not I am looking at the taurus or the DA 100 twins with cans. I will definitely go with cans, I am tired of the noise with these gas engines. So I will probably be the virgin for cans on this plane. I will keep you updated as I begin construction.
Jeff Williams
Old 07-30-2002, 03:21 PM
AFSalmon

Default omp Edge

Jeff, heard the Sledge finally went out. Congratulations, I know that really feels good! I flew the prototype Edge Toby had and it really was smooth. Very docile and light to the touch. Hey keep us posted on the ZDZ 100 engine, I know they have really strong engines so that one should be goos also. Any price quotes from ZDZ yet?

Mike
Old 08-02-2002, 01:51 AM
Chris 540

I don't suppose you've flown the carden 35 edge Mike?
Old 08-03-2002, 01:09 AM
JWilliams

Default 35% edge update

Chris 540, I did not take any pictures because if you go to OMP website they have several pics of the edge. If you want I can email you some, but it is a good looking kit. I am a dealer for OMP if you want I can get one for you, the price is as they advertise.
I hope to start mine next week. RC Showcase just posted info on the ZDZ 100 twin, I am looking heavily at that and the DA 100. ZDZ specs are not accurate as I called RC Showcase today and talked to them about the engine and those numbers are purely guesses at this point, including the price. Showcase did say they will have headers and cans ready by the time it shows up this fall. I am going to the IMAC meet in Peebles, OH and hope OMP will let me fly the prototype edge there. (OMP, if you guys read this that was a direct hint). IF I do get the chance I will post my thoughts on the plane. I did get to fly a 40% carden edge some back in June, nice flying machine I hope OMP edge will be the same. If you need you can email me at [email protected]
Thanks Jeff Williams
Old 08-05-2002, 01:59 PM
AFSalmon

Chris 540,

Yes I have, I really don't have much GS experience although I've seen plenty Cardens fly and of course they fly awesome. Why do you ask? Mike
Old 08-05-2002, 03:42 PM
Chris 540

I just wanted to see how differently they fly because I was considering the OMP...but I just ordered a Carden.