Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

The car/truck radio system thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 09:09 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The car/truck radio system thread

Just wondering what radio systems, brands, and technologies are your favorites. I know there is a radio forum, but it's sorts dead so I thought i'd post here. Hopefully this thread can be helpful to newcomers, seems there isn't always enough info out there about surface radio systems. Personally im also in the market for another transmitter, thinking maybe a Futaba 4pk or another Spektrum DX3r. Any other suggestons of a radio at that feature/quality level?

Also feel free to ask other radio related questions here.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Chris_RC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The car/truck radio system thread

Get the DX3R. Spektrum is the only 'smart' company into 2.4ghz. Where their DX2.0 will work with their DX3R receivers, where their DX3S receivers will work with their DX2.0 rx, etc. With Futaba, if you buy their entry level 2PL 2.4ghz, you will have to get all new receiver's onc eyou upgrade radio. I have the DX2.0 and DX3S and I love them!
Old 08-15-2009, 09:28 PM
MadManAndrew

Stock radios have always been fine and dandy for me...The day I actually get radio interference will be the day I upgrade to 2.4ghz.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:48 PM
sheograth

Stock radios frequently get the job done for me as well, but I prefer 2.4ghz or higher end FM systems. At least in my experience, once you try a high end radio in a vehicle you're experienced with, the difference is night and day. Especially with 1/5 scale cars and trucks, where the handling is far more realistic and demands higher precision forvtheost part. And anyway, stock radios come in all kinds of quality, from absolutely atrocious cheap import units in off brand vehicles to totally decent 2.4ghz and FM units.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:48 PM
HJJFFFAA

Unfortunately I've only been using RTR radios but I'm going to be getting a Futaba 3PK soon.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:23 PM
SLAYERDUDE

I run mostly RTR radios but this is my oldie but a goldie that I run in my goldie old school RC10.

One day I wish to have a 2.4 setup but buying another 11 RX's along with the radio will set me back as much as a Baja 5T.[]
Old 08-16-2009, 08:20 AM
DaveG55

Face it guys, radio systems are just another way to get money out of us. The factory systems are perfectly fine for 90% of people in the surface part of the hobby. The hype to get people to upgrade is just that, hype. Why do the folks who just bash need all the bells and whistles that the expensive radios have? The answer is, They don't! The 10% or so of surface people who race, well, arguably they could use the extra channels of fm radios or the interference freedom of spread spektrum radios but even most of the racers out there aren't advanced enough to have all the other adjustments on high end radios actually make a difference in how they finish.
And the cost of those high end radios vs entry radios is almost pure profit for the manufacturers. I can buy a no-frills dss system for $80. What exactly makes the high end ones worth almost $300 more? It's sure not the few extra electronic componants they have? What makes them $300 more is the fact that the makers KNOW that most rc'ers believe the hype and will shell out that money to look "cool".

Bottom line: I'll use, and buy, stock radios untill there's some valid reason for me to change.
And lest someone think I've formed my opinion from lack of using the "better" radios, not so. I have owned and used the more expensive set-ups and just don't see a justifiable difference.

Off soap-box now, sorry...
Old 08-16-2009, 09:19 AM
sheograth

For me it comes down to what vehicle I'm using, and how many adjustments I want to be able to have. You can call them bells and whistles but they do serve a purpose, provided that you actually use them. I find settings like sub trims, expos, throttle punch, extra channels etc to be useful on certain vehicles that I own.

Also, when running bigger heavier vehicles, safety becomes a concern. I've seen 1/5 scale gas powered monster trucks go wild off leash when their sub-par import RTR radio systems glitch. A rogue gasser could cause serious damage or even kill someone, so when I run them and there are people around, it's a must to have a solid and reliable radio system.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:29 AM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: sheograth
it's a must to have a solid and reliable radio system.
Or a $17 fail safe. A much less expensive option than a high end/dollar radio.
Besides, I didn't say that the extra features could not be useful, just that 90% of people don't need tham and that the radios that have them are unreasonably expensive. Though I'll grant you that as new systems come out the older ones start dropping in price.
Still, I do not see a need to spend that money to upgrade to stuff I don't need or use. I am kind of grateful to those who do though, it's nice to find nearly new rtr radios (complete systems) on e-bay for $20 - $30 or so.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: MadManAndrew

Stock radios have always been fine and dandy for me...The day I actually get radio interference will be the day I upgrade to 2.4ghz.
Ditto. I upgraded a while back to FM and that's as good as I'm going to need. Even an entry level AM (so long as it's not a cheapie that comes with RTRs) has worked good for most of our applications.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Airbus 9e

Right now I have a Futaba 3PK on 75 Mhz....I've been using Futaba radios for over 20 years, and have never had even one glitch that could be the fault of the radio...My problems have been with others flipping on their radio while I'm already on the channel....

A few things I've found sadly lacking in the "stock" RTR radios is lack of adjustments, no model memories, and generally poor construction and quality....Hats off to Team Losi for supplying decent name brand radio equipment with their LST type trucks...While some question the need for high end radios....I question why you'd run a $600-$1,000 car or truck with a $50 radio....The transmitter is your interface between you and your vehicle....You can get a Futaba 3PK for about $250, and it's easily changed over to run on 2.4 Ghz, and just as easy to switch back to 75 Mhz or 27 Mhz...
Old 08-16-2009, 09:29 PM
dacaur

ORIGINAL: Airbus 9e
My problems have been with others flipping on their radio while I'm already on the channel....
That right there is why i run only 2.4ghz in my cars and planes. Peace of mind. I don't have that nagging thought in the back of my mind "is someone going to turn a radio on on my channel today?" Peace of mind is also why I love my DX3S. When I turn on my LST XXL, I can see right on my radio screen if my reciver battery is good to go or not. And it beeps to let me know when it falls below the threshold I set. No more "I think(hope) I have enough battery power for one more tank of fuel".... This actually saved my butt the other day! I had charged the RX battery but apparently if false peaked, I turned on the truck and the rx battery looked ok, I start it up, and about 1 minuet into the run the radio starts beeping at me, I look down and the rx battery is under 4 volts!![X(]

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

Face it guys, radio systems are just another way to get money out of us. The factory systems are perfectly fine for 90% of people in the surface part of the hobby. The hype to get people to upgrade is just that, hype. Why do the folks who just bash need all the bells and whistles that the expensive radios have? The answer is, They don't! The 10% or so of surface people who race, well, arguably they could use the extra channels of fm radios or the interference freedom of spread spektrum radios but even most of the racers out there aren't advanced enough to have all the other adjustments on high end radios actually make a difference in how they finish.
And the cost of those high end radios vs entry radios is almost pure profit for the manufacturers. I can buy a no-frills dss system for $80. What exactly makes the high end ones worth almost $300 more? It's sure not the few extra electronic componants they have? What makes them $300 more is the fact that the makers KNOW that most rc'ers believe the hype and will shell out that money to look ''cool''.

Bottom line: I'll use, and buy, stock radios untill there's some valid reason for me to change.
And lest someone think I've formed my opinion from lack of using the ''better'' radios, not so. I have owned and used the more expensive set-ups and just don't see a justifiable difference.

Off soap-box now, sorry...
I totally agree that $300+ surface radios are a waste, but when you are talking about the $150-$250 range radios, you are wrong. There are two reasons I have a computer radio. One is model memories, I Can bring multiple models to wherever im driving and only have to bring one radio, instead of multiple RTR radios, And each time I run a vehicle, it will be set up exactly like it was the last time i drove it, no accidentally bumping the trim lever and having to re-trim it. And when it comes to model memories, you just cant beat spektrum. With most spektrum radios (excluding the dx2, dx3 and dx6) You have model match, so you CANNOT drive your car/plane if you have the wrong model memory selected, hows that for peace of mind... And the second is Exponential. With RTR's going 40-60MPH these days, expo is almost a must have. A dual rate dial is a crappy solution. I want to be able to run full speed without oversteering every time I touch the wheel, but still have enough steering to turn around when I run out of room without having to fumble for switches/dials or even thinking about it.

The fact of the matter is, A good radio can make a crappy driver look good, and a good driver look great, and WILL improve your driving skills over time.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:35 PM
Chris_RC

+1 decaur! Alot of people think of it as just bells and whistles that 95% of people in this hobby wont need, but it is really much more than that. Now when I am helping someone at the track with their car and I ask them simple questions like what is your TX battery voltage, did you set your EPA's right, did you use some positive expo to help calm down that steering I forget that most radios dont have the luxury of those features.

A good radio is an investment, not when you go to run you have a box full of RTR radios and you pick up whatever radio fits your car. When I see people do that it makes me laugh.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:14 PM
Druss

Right now I don't race, possibility in the future when my son is old enough to do it with me, but I do have a DX3R. Why? Everytime I have "cheaped out" in the past I have regretted it. I don't NEED the best equipment, just that there are benefits.

Some of the things that stock radios don't have and that I consider useful for all users:

Sub trim
EPA
Model memories
Model match

Very nice features that you don't need but are nice

Voltage display not just colored lights
Expo
Old 08-17-2009, 07:47 AM
Airbus 9e

Fortunately my 3PK has a built in failsafe....If I ever do get a glitch, a rarity with a PCM radio, I have it set on my nitro cars to steer straight, and to close the throttle and go to a bit of brake, and on my dirt oval cars, it's set to steer straight and go to zero throttle...

Actually the move to 2.4 Ghz has helped me a lot because there are far fewer people on 75 Mhz now, and a lot of the RTR radios are on 27 Mhz....
Old 08-17-2009, 09:32 PM
SAVAGEJIM

My personal fave is the Futabas. I currently use the Futaba 3PK, it is not top of teh line (the 4PK holds that title of all the Futaba pistols). I totally love thsi race grade radio and I do not ever regret spending the money to buy this radio. I love it so much that I bought another one, used, and even though it was used, it works 100% perfectly fine! Slapped on the 2.4GHz FASST module and RX into my RCs and I have never looked back to RTR radios.

Now, if you are willing to get a really nice radio with really great features, the Nomandio Sensor is it. But unfortunately, Nomandio seems to have totally forsaken the RC industry and is neglecting it in favor for US DoD (Dept of Defense, Army, Air Force, Navy) contracts. It's sad because the Sensor and even React is all gleaned from what they have learned in making their military grade radios.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:11 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

Get the DX3R. Spektrum is the only 'smart' company into 2.4ghz. Where their DX2.0 will work with their DX3R receivers, where their DX3S receivers will work with their DX2.0 rx, etc. With Futaba, if you buy their entry level 2PL 2.4ghz, you will have to get all new receiver's onc eyou upgrade radio. I have the DX2.0 and DX3S and I love them!

Unfortunately the Spektrum has less then half the range of a Futaba 3PK..... So IMO I would stick to Futaba, even if the cost is higher... The 3PK isn't cheap, but it is worth every penny........
Old 08-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Druss

ORIGINAL: supertib

Unfortunately the Spektrum has less then half the range of a Futaba 3PK..... So IMO I would stick to Futaba, even if the cost is higher... The 3PK isn't cheap, but it is worth every penny........
I've never had a Futaba 3PK but since I can control my monster truck from farther than I can see it what difference does the range make? If you had a 3 mile range would it matter? These are land vehicles not 1/4 giant scale airplanes....

That type of comment has "fan boy" written all over it. Strong statements with no evidence.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:48 PM
firebird78

personally I like the jr xs3...I stumbled on them when I first got into rc...being able to switch frequencies is bonus for me...has all the features I want...It has enuff model memory for all but one of my rc's so I can use anyone of my 5 transmitters on any of the cars, or if some freinds are wanting to run we can....
the real cool bonus is sometimes you can snag them very cheap on ebay pulled from new rtr that are being parted out or someone selling them to put in their 2.4ghz radio...most I've payed for one I believe is $63 shipped...havent had a glitch yet...
Old 08-17-2009, 11:00 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: Druss

ORIGINAL: supertib

I've never had a Futaba 3PK but since I can control my monster truck from farther than I can see it what difference does the range make? If you had a 3 mile range would it matter? These are land vehicles not 1/4 giant scale airplanes....

That type of comment has ''fan boy'' written all over it. Strong statements with no evidence.

I have both radios ! no contest, the Futaba is heads and tails better then the Spektrum....believe what you want, but I would only suggest a Spektrum if you can't afford a Futaba
Old 08-17-2009, 11:06 PM
ElectricGuy007

I race so I have to have a 2.4ghz RADIO. I see alot of people in the slash class
still using that crappy traxxas radio. Frequency conflicts happen alot too.[:-]
Only the fast guys at my track seem to like the 2.4 GHZ technology. DX3R is the most common seen radio.
I just dont see the point in having a radio that costs as much or even more than the RC your driving.
A good Futaba 3pm FASST is all you'll ever need. I do see a few 4PK radios from time to time, what a weird
looking radio that is though. $499 for a radio is just crazy.[&:]
Old 08-17-2009, 11:27 PM
Willystylz

I just went 2.4ghz a couple months ago and chose the Futaba 3PM. It seems to have all the features i'd ever need with the most important being the 10-model memory. Now I don't have to lug around a whole pile of radios wherever I go. Definitely handy. I was also looking at the DX3R at the time, but the 3PM seemed the better value. For $180 you can use the latest Futaba FASST receivers. If I went Spektrum it seems it would've cost me $300.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:39 PM
Druss

Thanks... I will.

Like I said though, it doesn't matter which has more range when the DX3R has more range than I need.

I have nothing against Futaba, I have owned 3-4 of their surface and air radios. My first surface radio was a Futaba, my first air radio was a futaba. Now I have Spektrum and JR, both have been good to me and that's all that really matters.

I love Futaba servos and gyros too.

I really have no preferences in terms of manufacturer. I buy what seems to be the best at a price I can afford at the time. When I bought the DX3R it was IMO the best 2.4ghz radio available. Now there are more options.

But... I hate it when people disregard a good product because of the next new thing. I also don't like "fan boys" or will put down any product not made by "their" company.

Spektrum, Futaba, Airtronics, KO Propo... etc. all make good products. It's a matter of what you need, want and can afford.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:47 PM
sheograth

Spektrum, Futaba, Airtronics, KO Propo... etc. all make good products. It's a matter of what you need, want and can afford.
True that, all good companies with solid products. I've never really had a problem with any of their stuff.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:50 PM
supertib

As I say I own both radios...all i will say to you is hold a 3Pk then hold your D3R and you will immediately see what i am talking about...huge quality difference between the two systems and I am not a fanboy for saying so...Futaba 3PK is a much nicer radio then the D3R is... Its built better and it has a much better range.....nothing wrong with the D3R but next to the Futaba it looks and feels like a cheap Chinese knockoff....If your happy with the D3R thats great, however since my standard is a 3PK I am less then impressed with my D3R...sorry for saying so, but it is what it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.