Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Thinking about going to something 5th Scale.... what do you guys think about them

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Thinking about going to something 5th Scale.... what do you guys think about them

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:11 PM
joshreynolds777
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about going to something 5th Scale.... what do you guys think about them

I've had about everything but 1/5th scale stuff mostly because of the cost. There seems to be some affordable stuff now on ebay. They kinda look okward and slow tho, are they pretty cool or what?
Old 08-16-2009, 09:41 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Thinking about going to something 5th Scale.... what do you guys think about them

Avoid the cheap import ebay specials, they're more trouble than they're worth. If you want to go 1/5 scale, go with an HPI, FG, MCD, or one of the other well known brands. Cheap 1/5 scales are junk.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:23 PM
savagecommander

Default RE: Thinking about going to something 5th Scale.... what do you guys think about them

yes follow the above- but make no mistake- they are by no means slow.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:50 PM
On2_n_On4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My advice to you is......check out the price of replacement parts (stock and upgrade) before making a decision.
At the end, you will be spending more on parts than the actual price of the car/truck.

if you think you can afford them....go for it! sure, some and most of the stock parts are not that bad on price, but they always break faster

some people say is cheaper to run a gas car than a nitro... yes, only if you are talking about fuel.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:49 AM
savagecommander

ORIGINAL: On2_n_On4

My advice to you is......check out the price of replacement parts (stock and upgrade) before making a decision.
At the end, you will be spending more on parts than the actual price of the car/truck.

if you think you can afford them....go for it! sure, some and most of the stock parts are not that bad on price, but they always break faster

some people say is cheaper to run a gas car than a nitro... yes, only if you are talking about fuel.

this always isnt true- i havent broken anything on my 5b yet-
Old 08-17-2009, 08:39 AM
Lars from Norway

ORIGINAL: joshreynolds777

I've had about everything but 1/5th scale stuff mostly because of the cost. There seems to be some affordable stuff now on ebay. They kinda look okward and slow tho, are they pretty cool or what?
Buy a used -or even better- an new car from a known brand.I would rather buy a used car/known brand than a new from a less known brand,when they are used they often have some upgrades too.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:38 AM
On2_n_On4

ORIGINAL: savagecommander
this always isnt true- i havent broken anything on my 5b yet-

well I guess it all depends on how often and how hard we run our cars.

The reality is.... parts do break and wear out, try $175 or more for a set of plastic wheels and some tires, or a new body for (lets say 5T) see my point?
and Im not even talking about all the parts that we all should buy before that first run! "safety parts" outerwears, kill switch, shock covers, and now that we are talking about bajas....a new radio, cause the stock-1 is just junk

then try MCD or FG if you wanna spend more $$

I'm not trying to scare him away, but his concern is cost.
Sure you can save money and buy any car, but it is no fun to have a broken car and no money to fix it.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:04 PM
sheograth

1/5 scale stuff does get expensive, especially in the wheels/tires department - but once you taste the thrill it's to addicting to quit.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:24 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Totally, listen to what every single one above me has said as far as getting a name brand gasser. If possible, regardless of how tempting the price is, skip over the fleabay imports.

Lars gives the best strategy: get a used FG, MCD, or HPI and you will save yourself a ton; in some cases, you save even more than buying the fleabay imports. Moreover, even if the used RC you buy is beat up, they are very surprisingly cheap to fix.

Yes in general, large scales are more expensive than nitros and smaller scale electrics, but in reality, it is not that bad. I was astonished that a good name brand engine brand new is only $250 USD, there are NITRO engines that cost easily $300-500 USD, and not even modded!

Old 08-18-2009, 06:21 PM
joshreynolds777

Thank a lot for the advice guys, I really appreciate it

Where would you guys recomind looking for a used model, there are none on ebay...

Also, Does anyone make anything large (5th or so scale) thats runs on nitro? Or electric? seems like nitro would be more powerfull....

thanks
Old 08-18-2009, 06:26 PM
MadManAndrew

Also, Does anyone make anything large (5th or so scale) thats runs on nitro? seems like nitro would be more powerfull....

thanks
Let's look at this with a marketing stand point. Nitro: $30+ a gallon. Gasoline: $2.50 a gallon. What do you think will sell better?
Old 08-18-2009, 06:30 PM
joshreynolds777

actually it looks like there ARE a couple
Old 08-18-2009, 06:34 PM
joshreynolds777

I cant decide rather 2WD or 4WD would be better. better top end with a 2WD, and better off road handling with a 4WD i would think.... ?
Old 08-18-2009, 10:44 PM
On2_n_On4

seems like nitro would be more powerfull....
not on a 25lbs+ beast

I cant decide rather 2WD or 4WD would be better. better top end with a 2WD, and better off road handling with a 4WD i would think.... ?

both are fun and they both serve a purpose.
IMO
for racing, great handling and some fun when bashing = 4wd.
for extreme fun, hardcore bashing and some racing = 2wd.

I like THE BIG 3, (HPI,MCD,FG) but I wont go into brands cause it will turn this thread into a pissing contest but do a little search cause theres only 1 king when it comes to hardcore bashing [sm=lol.gif][sm=shades_smile.gif]

Old 08-18-2009, 10:48 PM
joshreynolds777

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Redcat Rampage TT5? O love thats its 4WD, and love thats its a buggy.
Looks like the roller is going for $575, add electronics and engine
Old 08-18-2009, 10:54 PM
HJJFFFAA

Add electronics and an Engine and you should have gotten a Baja!
Old 08-18-2009, 11:22 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Not sure if this is relevant.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RttarcztoZU[/youtube]
Old 08-18-2009, 11:29 PM
joshreynolds777

Question?

Ever heard of anyone running 110 octaine in gassers?
Old 08-18-2009, 11:39 PM
SLAYERDUDE

No, but I'm sure it's feasable.
Now that I think of it, maybe in sleds?
Or chainsaw wrestling.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:23 AM
sheograth

In these size and compression class of engines you get no benefit at all from running higher octane. Higher octane does not mean higher performance, it just means higher resistance to predetonation which makes it good for use in high performance engines with higher compression.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Dan H

I have an HPI Baja SS. Its fun and the support is really awesome, but if I had to do it all over again....I'd get the Redcat Rampage 4WD. The Redcats don't quite have the support as the Baja, but at least parts are inexpensive and the importer has awesome customer service if you ever need anything.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:29 PM
joshreynolds777

That Video is awesome!!!
It took me a second to figure out why it looked like they were smashing eachother on purpose.

If anyone knows anyone thats needing to sell a 1/5th scale let me know
Old 08-19-2009, 11:22 PM
joshreynolds777

Im with you Dan
I'm kinda liking that 4WD redcat, I cant spend $1200 clams on a HPI anyway
Old 08-20-2009, 08:11 AM
DarkFire989

Here ya go. Your gona need a radio and reciever though. If you do get it from here use the 5% discount code "DDM"

[link]http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.6162/.f[/link]
Old 08-20-2009, 12:09 PM
joshreynolds777

DarkFire
cool thanks
Ya'll check this out....... http://hurrax.de/en/Modelle/index.asp?M=T1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.