Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Soldering deans connector

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 06:40 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Soldering deans connector

My friends bought two LiPos and asked me to solder two deans connectors on it for him.

The wires are so big and the deans connectors are so small. It took me 1 hour trying to solder those big wires onto the gold contacts and soldering still doesn't look strong enough.

Any hints?
Old 08-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Chris_RC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Soldering deans connector

Put a drop on flux on the gold tab, then use the solder from your soldering iron and put some on there to tin. Do that with the wire too. Then put some flux on both wires, put the heat shrink tubing on the wire, and press the soldering iron on the top of the wire so the heat goes onto the gold tap and the joint is formed. Pretty easy if you ask me.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:47 PM
SLAYERDUDE

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ans+connectors
Old 08-17-2009, 08:28 PM
OvalRacer99

Use a lot of heat, I use a 320 watt gun to do mine!!!!
Old 08-17-2009, 09:19 PM
Druss

A high heat soldering iron is best for a clean job but not necessary, I used to use a 45w and it worked fine. As suggested by Chris you need to pre-tin the connector and wires. Then place the wire on top of the connector, put the iron on top of the wire and press down. Once all the solder flows together you're done except for the heat shrink.

Important: only do one wire fully at a time, you never want to short a battery so place the heat shrink on a completed connection BEFORE you strip the other wire. Also, make sure you solder the positive wire to the tab with the + sign beside it.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:23 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

I roughen the connector first with a file or sandpaper, they seem to bond better this way, then I do same as what was said above.